• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I generally agree that the government needs to stay out of people’s lives to the extent that there isn’t a legitimate government interest. Keeping a consistent time system seems like a legitimate function. There’s not a law that says you have to keep the same time. You can set your clocks to whatever you want, and if you can function in society like that, more power to you. Government is saying this is the official time. And if you want, I suppose you can take it or leave it.
    Exactly!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That doesn't make it dew. Dew is condensation from the air. There are other, ample sources of moisture, which I already stated: likely, from the ground and grass, not from the air.

I never claimed that the grass wouldn't be wet; just that it wasn't dew. A distinction without a difference? Perhaps.
    Dew forms on an object whenever the dew point is reached in the air around the object. Are you saying dew can't form in the evening?

I'm not gonna claim it's dew per se. I don't look up the dew points every time I get my feet wet walking through the yard. But I strongly suspect it is. We get pretty high dew points. So it's not far fetched to think the temperature drop after sunset could hit the dew point.

Like I've said, I see the tires on the tractor get wet when I'm still mowing after sunset. That wetness wasn't there when the sun was still out. Seems if the moisture came from the ground or the grass, I'd have noticed it when the sun was up.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Dew forms on an object whenever the dew point is reached in the air around the object. Are you saying dew can't form in the evening?

I'm not saying gonna claim it's dew per se. I don't look up the dew points every day. But I strongly suspect it is. We get pretty high dew points. So it's not far fetched to think the temperature drop after sunset could hit the dew point.

Like I've said, I see the tires on the tractor get wet when I'm still mowing after sunset. That wetness wasn't there when the sun was still out. Seems if the moisture came from the ground or the grass, I'd have noticed it when the sun was up.
    I agree, 100%. And my lawnmower says I have 2,000+ hours experience to back it up.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I generally agree that the government needs to stay out of people’s lives to the extent that there isn’t a legitimate government interest. Keeping a consistent time system seems like a legitimate function. There’s not a law that says you have to keep the same time. You can set your clocks to whatever you want, and if you can function in society like that, more power to you. Government is saying this is the official time. And if you want, I suppose you can take it or leave it.
    So then prior to 1966 nobody knew what time it was?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    So the guy with the dirt road smarts just wants to say I was today years old when I realized I still don’t know what the words dew point mean. They’re just words I used hear the weatherman say when I watched tv, they don’t mean anything to me. And I don’t care. At all.

At least I know what dew is.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So then prior to 1966 nobody knew what time it was?

C'mon man. Everyone knows only Mike knows what time it is.

That's just not anything to do with my point. Obviously we still had standard time before 1966 (we actually had DST before that as well, but that's a different discussion).

What I said was in response to government telling you how to set your clocks. But there's a legitimate government interest in standardization of timekeeping. I hate government doing things that don't have a legitimate government interest in a free society. Like spying on its people. Telling people they have to take a vaccine or lose their job. You get the picture. Standardizing time, to synchronize clocks across geological regions defined by time zones is a useful and non-oppressive use of government. But I think time zones are outdated. I think it would be simpler just to use UTC and do away with time zones.

Short of that, I like having more hours of sunlight after I get off work. Got the mowing done earlier this afternoon, in fact. If we have to keep time zones, I'd prefer that we just keep DST. That's my preference which I get to have. Just like you get to prefer what you want.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So the guy with the dirt road smarts just wants to say I was today years old when I realized I still don’t know what the words dew point mean. They’re just words I used hear the weatherman say when I watched tv, they don’t mean anything to me. And I don’t care. At all.

At least I know what dew is.
    lol. Dew point is a werd only because nerds exist. The word is a thing because nerds wanted to be able to know at what temperature moisture from the air condenses on objects. They had to call it something.

BTW, as much as I like coding for a living, I think if I had life to do all over again, I might have gone into excavation. But that wouldn't keep the grass dry enough to mow after sunset.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    C'mon man. Everyone knows only Mike knows what time it is.

That's just not anything to do with my point. Obviously we still had standard time before 1966 (we actually had DST before that as well, but that's a different discussion).

What I said was in response to government telling you how to set your clocks. But there's a legitimate government interest in standardization of timekeeping. I hate government doing things that don't have a legitimate government interest in a free society. Like spying on its people. Telling people they have to take a vaccine or lose their job. You get the picture. Standardizing time, to synchronize clocks across geological regions defined by time zones is a useful and non-oppressive use of government. But I think time zones are outdated. I think it would be simpler just to use UTC and do away with time zones.

Short of that, I like having more hours of sunlight after I get off work. Got the mowing done earlier this afternoon, in fact. If we have to keep time zones, I'd prefer that we just keep DST. That's my preference which I get to have. Just like you get to prefer what you want.
    My point was that society agreed on what time it was well before government intervened. Yes, it may have been less accurate as you moved geographically, but, nobody needed the government to assign times.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My point was that society agreed on what time it was well before government intervened. Yes, it may have been less accurate as you moved geographically, but, nobody needed the government to assign times.
    Not really. It wasn't standardized everywhere. The train companies made a lot of progress in terms of standardizing time across regions. Even across the globe. But at first there were regions with their own time. Trains out of NY kept NY time. Chicago, and across the West.

Then Canadian and US train companies got together. And Europe. They based their time on GMT. and that became popular. But still wasn't universally standardized until governments passed laws that said, okay everyone let's use this system. before that, it was mostly the local time kept in each time.

And now, with the internet, it seems absurd not to have a universal way of synchronizing time across the globe. It wouldn't have to be a government thing. But, it's something government's have a legitimate interest in. It's a good thing to have the US Naval Observatory keeping such exact time. I remember as a kid I could dial up time service on the phone to set my watch. "At the tone, the time will be...nine twentyfive and 10 seconds..." Beep.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    How does a bean pod 3 feet up in the air get wet in October, between 7:30 and 9 every night? That’s not from the ground.
    Completely guessing that it's latent moisture from the bean itself. Again, this is something that I referenced already.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Or car windshields...
    Cars essentially create their own microclimates, due to the windows, heat accumulation/retention inside the car during the day, and additional heat loss at night. So, yeah, you can absolutely get boundary conditions around a car window that are different from otherwise ambient conditions, leading to condensation on the windshield.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Pretty sure I never said that, and in fact said the opposite. But that's a very localized thing (see the previous comment about car windshields).

I'm not gonna claim it's dew per se. I don't look up the dew points every time I get my feet wet walking through the yard. But I strongly suspect it is. We get pretty high dew points. So it's not far fetched to think the temperature drop after sunset could hit the dew point.

I probably should never have said anything, because it's irrelevant, and in true INGO fashion, my statement "that's not dew" got turned into "the grass isn't wet". :rolleyes:

Top Bottom