• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This isn't reserved for transverse engines anymore. The wife's vehicle needed the seals on an oil cooler changed. A $10 part even from the five star lobby of a prominent German dealership. But guess where the cooler is? Mounted to the engine valley. To replace it is to R&I the top 1/3 of the engine. ~$600 in gaskets and 14 hours of labor or a weekend if you're motivated enough. Mind you this is a longitudinally mounted V6.

I can and do still change air, cabin, oil, fuel filters and oil without too much trouble.

Oh right, it doesn't matter how the engine is oriented anymore. It's just that they try and cram so much stuff into the smallest space possible.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh right, it doesn't matter how the engine is oriented anymore. It's just that they try and cram so much stuff into the smallest space possible.

the A/C compressor on the magic bus is loosing the seal and refrigerant. Mind you if the pump was accessible it is not that tough a job as I have all the tools/equipment to do this. Thing is the pump is stuffed up under the passenger side block below the head. It is above the K-frame and has it's own drive belt separate from the main serpentine belt. With out a lift I am sure a circus contortionist would be hard pressed to get in and change it out. Either that or take it in the shorts and pay to have it done......:(

I hate to pay to have anything done when we have the tools and skills.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Side rant... Who thought it would be a good idea to mount the oil filter at a slant on the block so that you can't help but dump oil everywhere when you take it off? If it was mounted straight up and down, you could unscrew it and keep the dirty oil in the filter until you dump it. No fuss, no muss. I've seen one car that actually had it like this, but now I can't remember which one it was (might have been the PT Cruiser). Changing the oil on that thing was so easy you almost didn't even need a shop towel to wipe your hands with when you were done.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My 2009 Duramax has a vertical filter. Also has a vertical external filter on the transmission. Actually able to service the trans without dropping the pan.

To balance this out, you have to remove the fan shroud to R&R the serpentine belt. But, the shroud encases the fan front and rear, so..... pain in the behind for a flipping belt.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    '18 Subaru Outback has the oil filter on top, up front, with a small drip basin just in case. Just stares right at you when you lift the hood.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    How about the "INDOT" personal who clams building a multi million dollar over pass for the US.2 and US20 junction is better than building a very large traffic circle.
    He justified it by tell me that a snowplow has to make two passes to clear the circle. It only takes one pass to clear the over pass in each direction. One pass in each direction, one and one makes two.
    He also clams it is harder for semi-trucks to use a very large traffic circle than drive through. The new over pass has two smaller circles that they must negotiate.
    It would cost more to build the larger circle. Wait they must build access ramps from the main route to the two circles. They cover the same area.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How about the "INDOT" personal who clams building a multi million dollar over pass for the US.2 and US20 junction is better than building a very large traffic circle.
    He justified it by tell me that a snowplow has to make two passes to clear the circle. It only takes one pass to clear the over pass in each direction. One pass in each direction, one and one makes two.
    He also clams it is harder for semi-trucks to use a very large traffic circle than drive through. The new over pass has two smaller circles that they must negotiate.
    It would cost more to build the larger circle. Wait they must build access ramps from the main route to the two circles. They cover the same area.

Not sure if dealing with Gov. is part of dealing with Morons.
    Gov. officials have their own spectrum of idiotic that over shadows a mere moron.

But that does seem moronic.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Morning Easy.
    I have 2017 Outback but the H-6 engine.
    That filter is still under the engine but at least I can fit under it.
    The 4 cylinders all have that verticle filter setup . My wife's Impreza has that.
    Really nice for quick changes

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife's Jeep Wrangler has the filter up top, upside down, and in a PLASTIC housing. It has been broken twice. Have to remove the intake an all attachments to replace it with yet another plastic housing. Brilliant.

Speaking of roads - I heat Brownsburg's downtown area may open sometime this year. Talk about a screw-up....

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Thought you might remember that stuff... :)

It could be worse, my grandpa was talking about is first roughly 100 mile trip in a car and said they were lucky, the roads weren't flooded, only had to be pulled out twice and only had one flat tire each way. Took all day to go 100 miles, spent the night, then spent all day coming home.
    Not because the cars were that slow, but the roads were that bad.

My dad used to tell stories about how they'd rate a road trip not by miles or hours, but by how many flats they'd have getting that far. "Oh, that's a three-flat-tire trip."

I managed to build enough sense into my son that we can laugh at the idiots together. He doesn't have my skill set, but almost nobody does. I think he'll be fine, though.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My wife's Jeep Wrangler has the filter up top, upside down, and in a PLASTIC housing. It has been broken twice. Have to remove the intake an all attachments to replace it with yet another plastic housing. Brilliant.

Speaking of roads - I heat Brownsburg's downtown area may open sometime this year. Talk about a screw-up....

You could always switch to a Subaru :)

View attachment 76068

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside

I'm so aggravated with Brownsburg downtown road construction! 1/2 mile of a main thoroughfare closed for a year(closing in on)! They couldn't have done both side of tracks at the same time?? I'm bent just cause I have to drive around it, cannot imagine how the people feel that live in the unofficial detour area!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm so aggravated with Brownsburg downtown road construction! 1/2 mile of a main thoroughfare closed for a year(closing in on)! They couldn't have done both side of tracks at the same time?? I'm bent just cause I have to drive around it, cannot imagine how the people feel that live in the unofficial detour area!

I take the 12 year old G-daughter out to brownsburg every thursday night to a private art class south of town off of 267 past the horse stables. We roll out 74 and she likes Taco Belle so we stop there and head south. The idiotic closiers have use zig zagging through the area back to 267 from the street the library is on. What a freaking joke. A main state highway shut down for over a year. Yes that road needed attention and has for a long time but damn that was poorly done.

moronic barely covers this.

Top Bottom