• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just yesterday a customer told me he had a problem, one that he exacerbated before calling me.
    Seems his bathroom vanity drain plugged up, so he decided to clear it himself.
    He went to Home Depot and bought a 25' hand-driven drain snake, then he called me.

He ran that 25' of snake down the drain, but didn't find the clog, so he tried to remove the snake, but that wasn't happening.
    He managed to pull about 18" back out of the drain before it hung up tight and would not budge.
    Frustrated that he couldn't get the snake out, he cut it off! Then he put the drain back together with the cut-off snake still inside.

He pointed out what he had done, and then asked, "Can you fix it?"
    I am getting pretty good about not laughing in some peoples faces.

I told him yes, we can fix it, but it's going to take some effort.
    We were already scheduled to remove the tile floor above the drain, but we weren't planning on removing the sub-floor, or doing a lot of extra drain work.
    We ended up removing about 12' of galvanized steel pipe before we could extract the remaining snake.
    By the time we replaced the sub-floor, it had added about 2 hours to the job.

Most times I just grin.
    A lot of times, for me, stupidity on others part, means work on my part! LOL

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    *Originally Posted by*dprimm*

Which is why I have always filled the tank no matter how full it was when I borrowed it.

Winner.....

Yep. THAT'S how you take a car back. I was forced to ask a brother if I could borrow his in order to help Miss Christa move IMMEDIATELY. Turns out a roommate was irresponsible, and they were requested to move IMMEDIATELY. Hmmm...
    Before we left with our load of clothing, furniture, etc, I popped the hood to check the oil.
    Hood latch broke and I had to tie it down.
    I was mortified.
    Brother did not seem to mind, and refused payment. He and his father had assembled it from two wrecks, and so had a spare handy. I was still mortified. One doesn't return a vehicle like that.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    We've all been there,
    The guy describing great amounts of time (say, continental drift) in terms of 'Light Years',
    Or his new job as a 'Quantum Leap' from what he used to do...
    The guy that shows you his new 'Gun' muzzle first, pointed at your guts,
    The guy that's wrecked 6 cars in 3 years but claims he's a good driver and wants to 'borrow' your car...

How exactly do you deal with people like this?

Deep breath and a 10 count?
    Avoid at all costs?
    Politely dismiss yourself and run?

I have a tat on my shoulder. It is a skeleton fist flippin the bird. On one side of said bird is the word bl*w, other side has the word me. Even a moron can understand.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep. THAT'S how you take a car back. I was forced to ask a brother if I could borrow his in order to help Miss Christa move IMMEDIATELY. Turns out a roommate was irresponsible, and they were requested to move IMMEDIATELY. Hmmm...
    Before we left with our load of clothing, furniture, etc, I popped the hood to check the oil.
    Hood latch broke and I had to tie it down.
    I was mortified.
    Brother did not seem to mind, and refused payment. He and his father had assembled it from two wrecks, and so had a spare handy. I was still mortified. One doesn't return a vehicle like that.

Having interacted with and met you in person I can believe this. Another winner.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    There was a goofy movie a few years back called 'Idiocracy' and it explains de-evolution pretty well...

Then we have the 'YouTube Intellectual' that's never had a formal education or done anything themselves, but are more than ready to jump into ANY conversation as an authority...
    This particular type of twit argues against common sense and doesn't know a razor blade from a snow cone, can't comprehend any different application than what he saw on 'YouTube', and didn't understand what he saw there, but they're 'Experts' in whatever I'm doing...

In had a 20-something ask me for a light this winter, I handed him book matches (I always have a couple books in my coat pocket),
    He couldn't figure out how to operate them.

I got being a mid 20-something blocking the driveway with a flat tire on his car.
    I tried to explain the car (newer) was equipped with a jack & spare tire, and the instructions were in the owners manual.
    He expected me to change his tire while he waited in the restaurant, and he locked the car & walked off.
    (I drove my old Jeep over the curb, let his mama figure it out for him)

It's happened 1,000 times, these are just a couple...
    It's hard enough to get things done in the first place, but when you have to babysit it's a dozen times harder.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "Or".....let me borrow your truck to move. I promise to bring it back with no fuel and dirty.

I've already told DoggyMama that when we eventually replace our truck, it's going to be hidden in a secret location, and nobody is to know we have one. I may have to install a fake trailer hitch on my Hyundai Elantra and tell them that's what we use to haul the pontoon boat. :):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There was a goofy movie a few years back called 'Idiocracy' and it explains de-evolution pretty well...

Then we have the 'YouTube Intellectual' that's never had a formal education or done anything themselves, but are more than ready to jump into ANY conversation as an authority...
    This particular type of twit argues against common sense and doesn't know a razor blade from a snow cone, can't comprehend any different application than what he saw on 'YouTube', and didn't understand what he saw there, but they're 'Experts' in whatever I'm doing...

In had a 20-something ask me for a light this winter, I handed him book matches (I always have a couple books in my coat pocket),

I got being a mid 20-something blocking the driveway with a flat tire on his car.
    I tried to explain the car (newer) was equipped with a jack & spare tire, and the instructions were in the owners manual.
    He expected me to change his tire while he waited in the restaurant, and he locked the car & walked off.

It's hard enough to get things done in the first place, but when you have to babysit it's a dozen times harder.

[video=youtube;RsZVnU5-qd0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsZVnU5-qd0[/video]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Here is the thing.....we are raising this generation. This is on us. We have let this slide. Before you jump on me that your kids are just fine I know that many are. But man there are soooooooo many that are not. Parenting is a lost art. Go to the nearest grade school and just watch mom drop the little poop stains off in the morning. Then you will understand.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Having interacted with and met you in person I can believe this. Another winne

Thanks. If it hadn't already been Saturday night we'd have taken a detour through Winchester to let my automotive guy take a look at it. The only truck I had at the time was my s10 woodhauler beater. Just not up to the task. That's two I owe that guy. He put on a beautiful going away party for my indigent mother and charged me peanuts.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Same with my Bikes. It was endless. There is a handful of people on this planet that I have let ride off on my scoots. A small handfull.

Sometimes theres a happy ending to these stories... my cousin let his brother in law borrow his bike... the guy didnt realize the torque a Ducati 848 corse has.. flipped it. Long story short. My cousin fixed it(hes a mechanic) the b.i l. Paid off the bike. I bought the bike with 500 miles on it it for an ar pistol +$1200. Its my profile pic. Happy ending for me...

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Sometimes it is best that they don't fill the tank.

Young lady borrowed her friend's mid 80's GM full sized car and decided to fill it up before returning it because it was below half a tank. She put in unleaded and the car was diesel! I do not know when she figured out her mistake but when she pulled into the shop I worked at on a Saturday afternoon she had at least 10 miles of driving with mixed fuel and the engine was rattling. When told there was nothing to be done right now she drove off.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Here is the thing.....we are raising this generation. This is on us. We have let this slide. Before you jump on me that your kids are just fine I know that many are. But man there are soooooooo many that are not. Parenting is a lost art. Go to the nearest grade school and just watch mom drop the little poop stains off in the morning. Then you will understand.

You are correct! That means at least two generations didn't care of their kids leaned anything or not, and probably where taught anything themselves.
    We didn't have kids, but we had several mentor kids and most of them turned out OK.
    I saw what they had for 'Parents' and I wasn't impressed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You are correct! That means at least two generations didn't care of their kids leaned anything or not, and probably where taught anything themselves.
    We didn't have kids, but we had several mentor kids and most of them turned out OK.
    I saw what they had for 'Parents' and I wasn't impressed.

You put in the work. Which is a hell of a lot more than sooooooo many phone using no clue idiots do today.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sometimes it is best that they don't fill the tank.

Young lady borrowed her friend's mid 80's GM full sized car and decided to fill it up before returning it because it was below half a tank. She put in unleaded and the car was diesel! I do not know when she figured out her mistake but when she pulled into the shop I worked at on a Saturday afternoon she had at least 10 miles of driving with mixed fuel and the engine was rattling. When told there was nothing to be done right now she drove off.

My sister did this with my dads truck but put diesel in his GMC gas truck. I warned him not to let that idiot take it. Took some effort to get it put back right.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Yes, when people have pointed fingers at someone younger that can't change a tire or open a can, I've mentioned, it's not the "kid's" fault. It's the parent's.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Yes, when people have pointed fingers at someone younger that can't change a tire or open a can, I've mentioned, it's not the "kid's" fault. It's the parent's.
    Not necessarily the case. I have seen kids that were taught right from wrong, how to accomplish things, and still can not put it together. Sometimes they are just morons.

Top Bottom