• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I can't imagine buying a gun without handling it.

The only thing that would make me even consider it would be the inability to find something locally.

And anyway, if local gun stores are dying why are we still afflicted with Dons? :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    His article is nice and all, but there is a LOT of BS and false information slung at the LGS too. He falsely assumes they're all knowledgeable and friendly. Also, as far as the transfer threat, as long as it is legal to do so, there will ALWAYS be people willing to get an FFL and do transfers. I use a home-based guy.

I went into a local gun shop that opened up a couple months ago, for the first time last week. Didn't have a huge selection, but said he could order pretty much any gun I needed and he could price match as much as possible. Asked about his transfer fee, $20 unless it was Buds or CTD, than it was $40. Wonder if this is what a lot of LGS will have to do to try and compete with online gun sellers.

It's good business to allow transfers. You fill out some paperwork, collect some cash and you brought a potential customer into your store. It's a win all the way around. Store owners are kidding themselves if they think that by not offering to do transfers, their business will grow.

I bought the gun online because they had it, it was convenient to shop from home or the price was better. Or maybe all three.

I did a transfer on a lower awhile back and when I was in there, I got to talking to the owner. I asked if I should contact him to check his price on a firearm. He said sure. He would do what he could. So when I am ready to buy my next firearm, I will give him a call and see what he can do. At that point, it's up to him whether he can profitably make the sale or take the money on a transfer fee. I suspect he can sell me the firearm for more than $25 profit...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I can't imagine buying a gun without handling it.

The only thing that would make me even consider it would be the inability to find something locally.

And anyway, if local gun stores are dying why are we still afflicted with Dons? :)

That's what gun shows and Gander Mountain is for. LOL.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was wanting to see something at Gander Mountain Tuesday. I was the only customer at the counter. There was three clerks hanging around near the register. I tried to motion on over to show me a pistol. The guy actually said "you'll have to take a number". Let me check my math, one customer, three clerks available. According to my understanding, that ratio should not be a problem of the supply meeting the demand. That is NOT an employee problem. That is a management problem. A worker will perform the level the managment demands or get fired. Needless to say, I walked out of the store without opening my wallet.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I prefer to buy locally and will pay over what I would otherwise pay online to do so if the difference is under $100. The only firearms I've bought online were a trio of pre-B CZ 75s that you simply could not get locally. I do admit though, that there are times when you see the price at Bud's Gun Shop, with free shipping and a $15 transfer fee, and cannot help but to consider an online buy, but in the end, I buy locally. There are 4 guns shops I deal with, 1 regularly and the others sporadically. The one I deal with regularly takes care of me and is reasonable in price. The other shops are good, but the one has earned a bit of loyalty and is generally the first stop I go to.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I yet to buy a gun online, if I do, it'd be a gunbroker and it would be a really hard to get/find exepnsive and/or old gun....

otherwise I'd buy local because I'm impatient...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    So people will blow up to $100 but ***** about the price of .22 ammo. I wish I had hundreds I could just blow on filling others pockets with money I could have saved.
    i love my local gun shop and they are the best prices local shop around (USDS), and I'll support them all I can, but I can't just overpay $50 to $100. I'll gladly pay a few bucks more on accessories. But they take care of me. I've never had to overpay there because they are fair.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    So people will blow up to $100 but ***** about the price of .22 ammo. I wish I had hundreds I could just blow on filling others pockets with money I could have saved.
    i love my local gun shop and they are the best prices local shop around (USDS), and I'll support them all I can, but I can't just overpay $50 to $100. I'll gladly pay a few bucks more on accessories. But they take care of me. I've never had to overpay there because they are fair.

Unlike ammo, I can reach the breaking even point on a firearm I'm likely to keep for a long time...

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    ive tried to buy several firearms from "Jerry's Gun Shop" down in Rensellear and have always gone home empty handed. very much good OLD boy club. emphasis on OLD. six guys sitting in the shop drinking coffee and it be comes silence whenever someone walks in the door. anymore, most of my firearms are used purchases anyway.

^^This^^

I kid you not, several weeks ago I stood a little over arm's length away from five boxes of $30+/box ammo ready to buy it on the spot if someone would just hand it to me from behind the counter. After twenty minutes of both salesmen trying to convince a buddy they'd shot a coyote in the head with a 5.56 at 700 yards in low light and a heavy wind (or some such crap), I took my money and left. Ordered the stuff online cheap enough to get six boxes at their price for five. Will I go back? Not too likely, unless I wanna lean on the counter all afternoon, chewing tobacco and spinning yarns.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    ive tried to buy several firearms from "Jerry's Gun Shop" down in Rensellear and have always gone home empty handed. very much good OLD boy club. emphasis on OLD. six guys sitting in the shop drinking coffee and it be comes silence whenever someone walks in the door. anymore, most of my firearms are used purchases anyway.

Yep. I don't know about Jerry's, but that was one of the reasons I didn't shop at Elmore's in Greenwood for many many years. I did give them a shot Jan. of 2012, dealt with Jason, walked out with a very nice LWRC. It was a completely different vibe, so I will give them a shot in the future. The good about Elmore's, is they do stock the high end guns, from AR's to 1911's.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I disagree with the part in the "rant" about gunstores being an essential buffer between end users and marketing hype. I was told specifically when I worked at a shop, to sell, sell, sell the Taurus Judge, despite my personal feelings and experience with the device. Many stores, including very popular ones, still sell Airweight revolvers and Judges to new or women shooters, "Here honey, this is all you need" BS that will likely get them killed or deter another potential shooter from our ranks. Very few shops I've been to offered cognizant and researched options to customers new to the sport and even fewer are the truly intelligent workers.

A Judge with birdshot is not "the ultimate QCB weapon on the planet"
    A full length M1A is not a good defense weapon for an apartment dweller
    Airweight revolvers, preferably in .357, are not "perfect for ladies"

In regards to the internet arguement: The internet killed alot of "middle men". The firearms industry, along with many others including electronics shops, video stores, industrial parts companies, etc... have been suffering due to the quick, easy, "real time" and "just in time" delivery available from the internet. This is just another advancement. Sure, local shops offer services and products that are impulse based (used guns, ammo on the shelf, some parts including night sights). They still have a place. Having worked in one, the "fondler" that comes in, wastes your time with questions and gun fondling, then buys online or elsewhere are remarkably low.

Value added: Go to some of the "new" shops that popped up in the wake of the '08 panic (C&C Midwest Guns, Fort Liberty,etc...): Sparsely stocked, maybe some guns and ammo, VERY few accessories, almost anything is "we can order it" and MAYBE offer services. Go to one that's been established (Bradis, etc..): Well stocked, offers services, lots of accessories and can get things quickly. Any sales, being a sales guy meself, lol, is based on what you add in value to the product/service. Take places with indoor ranges: Buy a gun, get some ammo, get free range time, enjoy your purchase instantly! Places with accessories: BUy a gun, why wait or shop online for a holster, we have them in stock, see what fits for you, carry today! Need night sights or lighter trigger connectors? We have trained armorers on staff to service your needs!

What I'm saying is the established shop, one that is prolific in value added services/products will survive the internet age. The mom and pops that came up in the last few panics to capitalize on the fear buying or the ones that are a good ol' boy, "we can order that, takes two weeks to arrive" selling strategy shops will not survive unless they add impulse items or value added items/services. :twocents:

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    I was wanting to see something at Gander Mountain Tuesday. I was the only customer at the counter. There was three clerks hanging around near the register. I tried to motion on over to show me a pistol. The guy actually said "you'll have to take a number". Let me check my math, one customer, three clerks available. According to my understanding, that ratio should not be a problem of the supply meeting the demand. That is NOT an employee problem. That is a management problem. A worker will perform the level the managment demands or get fired. Needless to say, I walked out of the store without opening my wallet.

same thing happened to me and my wife. looking at crossbows, noone there but 3 clerks. they told us to go to the gun counter and get a number. we left without buy a thing

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have had TOTALLY different experiences with Jerry's, in fact I and my son still consider it one of our favorite shops - even though it is about a 70-75 mile drive from our homes. I have purchased both new and used firearms from Jerry's - at prices lower than any found in Indiana. About 8 or 9 years ago, my son and I spent an entire day visiting gun shops, from Indy to the Hammond / East Chicago area, starting quite early and ending up home about 10 PM. We bought 3 or 4 guns and a few hundred rounds of Ammo from Jerry's at the lowest cost we found anywhere. I don't remember all we purchased but know one was a Colt King Cobra .357 (new), an M1 Carbine and 3~4 hundred rounds of ammo for it plus another Military Rifle. We have been back several times and bought a few firearms there. Always been happy with the selection, service, knowledge and prices!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I love my local gun store(s)!

I never want to be "that guy" but I have gone to the counter before and said I can get this magazine for $$ on midway or wherever but I would rather buy it from you. I will have to pay shipping and things, plus I am getting it here today but all in all can we close the gap on a price and work a deal? I don't think there is anything wrong with this, and the owner I am certain does not feel so. Therefore I never feel bad doing this and I feel they get their support over me going elsewhere, the guy is not going to choose to loose money over a deal.

This doesn't happen often but I can think of a couple of times, specifically a magazine as I stated that they wanted about 10 to $15 too much for IMO so I just asked and it worked out. I don't do this all of the time, I usually see something I want and if it's priced right I buy it, I am not a haggler but I think talking to the guys in the store can do you a lot of good in this area no matter if its a gun you would like to buy, or a mag, or anything else you can ask for their best price on etc. They certainly would like to stay competitive and I am sure and want to have the business. They will make something, just may be 5% and not 15% or whatever the margin would be.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have seen the good old boys hanging out there at Jerry's. I have also shopped there and bought 2 handguns over the last year. I believe he is a great guy, likes his bud's to feel welcome. They cut out the chatter because he needs to sell stuff, and they don't know you. My sales were with Jerry, not his buds. He handled all, thanked me, and said to come back anytime. Maybe I will be a bud now? who knows? He had a decent gun selection, and prices were fair-good, and treated me decently. No complaints.
    Cabelas and their theatre rope, and Bass Pro are a joke. Small guy all the way.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Apples and oranges. I'll continue to complain about the price of .22lr until it comes back down to normal prices (almost there when you can find it) because that extra money adds to the cost of every shot. The more I shoot, the more it costs. But, spending an extra hundred dollars to buy a gun locally is a one time issue. Every shot I take with that gun reduces that initial $100. Plus, I figure the service I get at an LGS pays for at least some of that. For instance, yesterday I took my Remington R1S down to the shop I bought it off of to borrow their trigger gauge to see where I'm at after a bit of trigger work (perfect 3 1/2 lbs now). Not only were they more than happy to take care of that for me, but they had a sample bottle of Slip2000 EGW they gave me as well. This 1911 was bought there and was actually a much better deal there than I ever saw online or at other local shops. Stuff like that is why when I decide to buy something, I stop there first. If they can do a decent price, I'll buy from them. I know what I'm willing to spend and I know they will do their best to get to that price but they also have a shop to run, employees to pay and the cost of inventory to cover. I figure that if I'm willing to spend $40 plus for me and my sons to go fondle guns at the 1500, then I cannot complain too much about spending that extra $40 or so at the LGS that lets me fondle their guns all year long for free. The guys at The Outdoorsman have earned that much at least.

ru6797

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Niles
    I can remember when I was a kid up north in michigan the local gun shop was in a guys garage you go in and most guns were just laying on a table you dig thru to find what you want everywhere you looked were gun lined up everywhere, it was great, in there one time the day before deer season and a detroit person walk in going to go hunting the next day and bought a shotgun and rifle with scope to take out the next not even going to the range to see how they shot,even as a kid i shook my head

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Sounds completely legit...
    I can remember when I was a kid up north in michigan the local gun shop was in a guys garage you go in and most guns were just laying on a table you dig thru to find what you want everywhere you looked were gun lined up everywhere, it was great, in there one time the day before deer season and a detroit person walk in going to go hunting the next day and bought a shotgun and rifle with scope to take out the next not even going to the range to see how they shot,even as a kid i shook my head

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sounds completely legit...
    Far out - but considering the further north you go - totally believable.

Some people would call them hillbillies, but there are some ones the defy any definition. 7 months of cold weather must change the DNA of a person.

Top Bottom