• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Sorry, but your small time C&R is really nothing compared to what we do here with hand written books and computer books as well. We deal with volume and you deal with a transaction here and there. No comparison!

I didn't say that it was comparable on a volume basis. I simply stated, and I don't know why this is hard to understand, that the "logging a gun in and out" for a C&R is the same for an FFL, and I'm sick of hearing FFL's make it sound like "logging a gun in and out" is a big deal. You didn't mention the totality of the transfer, you mentioned "logging the guns in and out."

Also, I don't know why you maintain a written AND computer log. It's not necessary. If you're talking about more than the log book, fine, but that's not what you said. That's all I was referring to. The dealer I use has his bound book electronic, so there's no reason to maintain both.

StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've never bought a gun online and hope never to have to. Even though one new Glock 17 is the same as any other, it feels good to say "I'll take this one."

As for ammo, do they sell that at LGS's?
    At the LGS today, the guy behind the counter, wanting to make some point or another, drew his carry gun. Then he put the palm of his left hand over the muzzle as he started to reholster. Thinking about it later, I realized I've had a gun pointed at me almost every time I've been in a LGS. Maybe my local loyalty is a bad idea.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    If there is a death of the local gunstore, it will come from poor customer service skills and not the competition of online pricing. Poor customer service skills are rampant in this industry.

^^^^ THIS is the bane of my working life. My store has a decent crew but we're understaffed for the volume we do. We know this. We want to establish a sales culture versus a clerk mentality (clerks point across the store, salespeople hook their customers up with what they need and want) but we can't seem to get people to actually apply who want to work and sale. They want to stand around and play with the guns but not help customers. I get where my customers are coming from when they're frustrated and tired of waiting. And I go out of my way to help them as much as I can but I'm only one person.

fishnlunds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    I am as concerned with a dollar as much as anyone, however the small LGS or "home based" ffl dealer cannot come close to matching the price break that BUDS or CABELAS or BASS PRO or many others are buying their products for. The distributors do not give the small guy a price break like they do the large volume customers. So for the LGS to match the low internet prices, there is no profit margin in it for them what so ever. They are not in business for fun, they need to make money to cover expenses let alone make a profit. So if you have no use for the LGS, by all means keep buying online, but then who is going to do your transfers.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The good ole boy network is alive and well. Go to Elmores on any given day and there's always random people just hanging around behind the counters bs'ing. What's it take to rate behind the counter status? You see the same thing at PSS with the old guys sitting in chairs or blocking the counters. I worked in a big gun store for many years and know the type, the thing is these "regulars" that come in and hang out forever are never buyers but for some reason the owners bs with them at the expense of people coming in to buy.

That kind of explains some of the issues at Elmore's. I always figured that everyone behind the counter worked there. Then again, I've been the only person in the store on the customer side of the counter and still could not get anyone from behind the counter to break away from their BS fest long enough to show me a gun I was considering.

Jake226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't know about you guys but I've never found a "good" deal at a Bass Pro or Cabela's. Yeah, Bud's has some good prices but my local shops always beat the chain stores. It never hurts to go in and tell your local shop that you want to spend your money there but they have to help you a little bit. That usually does it to get pretty close to their line. I'll always spend more money to help local business over the chain (within the realm of reason). LoriW, mind telling me in which shop you work? I appreciate owners with your attitude, and would really like to swing by your store.

Top Bottom