• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    Went out on the closer for one last hurrah, the wind was swirling terribly so I wasn’t surprised I didn’t see anything. Did manage to drop my Nikon binoculars in the lake which was less than ideal. Doubt they’re going to be able to be brought back to life.

That's a bummer. I'm sure it's definitely not how you were looking to close the season out.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Eating my buck tag this year. Antlerless was used on a little button buck. My freezer is still rather empty.

So how does one go about fixing a buck tag to eat?.....I know whenever in question always start out with canned mushroom soup. Grilling wouldn't be an option because I don't think you would have anything left when you opened the lid?:laugh:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Eating my buck tag this year. Antlerless was used on a little button buck. My freezer is still rather empty.

This is why I haven't purchased a "buck tag" for years.
    I purchase the bundle so I can take a buck during any season WITHOUT having to eat the tag.

Got lucky this year and didn't need to use my license for my buck.
    I got him on my new property so a tag wasn't necessary.
    Leaves the bundle for more does during muzzle loader or archery.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I just talked to a customer of mine this afternoon. He lives in western Tennessee.
    He said they do not divide up the state in counties, but rather which section of the state you're in, (North, South, East, West)
    He said there are no separate seasons for firearms and muzzle loaders, just "deer season", but what really got me was the bag limits.

Seems, at least in Western Tennessee, you are allowed 2 bucks per season, but only 1 buck per day.
    Does are an entirely different matter.
    He said they are allowed to shoot 3 does per day! No season limit, just 3 does per day, EVERY day of the season!
    If their season is 2 weeks like ours, that means they could legally take something like 42 does in one season!?!

They must have WAY too many deer down there.

IIRC, Alabama has a limit of 1 antlered deer per day up to a total of 3 per season and 1 antlerless deer per day with no limit and seasons that begin in October and last until February. Of course it probably takes 2 of their mature does to equal one of ours.

On the other end of the spectrum, Texas has different limits per county up to a total of 5 with no more than 3 bucks. Seems low given the number of deer they have but large landowners can also join a program that allows extra antlerless deer to be harvested over an extended season.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Im still getting out the bow for muzzleloader, and late archery, but it doesn't look promising. Part of passing bucks like I do means not filling a tag from time to time, so I'm not to stressed out about it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    New string on my '91 Blackwidow HS.
    Tune it up this week.
    No biggie, w 3 under and high anchor I use the arrow as a sight.
    Just need to see what it ends up being.
    The B50 version w heavy hunting arrows was dead on at 20 yards.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    So how does one go about fixing a buck tag to eat?.....I know whenever in question always start out with canned mushroom soup. Grilling wouldn't be an option because I don't think you would have anything left when you opened the lid?:laugh:

The old wax reinforced paper tags took a bit longer in the pot.
    With the computer paper ones..........proly even microwavable.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm planning to baste my $500 IL tag in butter, garlic and mushroom for a few hours. Figure something that pricey deserves a delicate touch.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Does Texas (state or counties) run antler restrictions (point and or spread)?

Some counties have a requirement for either a 13" minimum(ear width) spread or at least one unbranched antler with a two buck limit and only one buck with a 13" spread or wider is allowed.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Another disappointing year in northern Indiana.

Saw several decent bucks, only one shooter, and he was out of my range.

But the lack of does and yearlings boggles my mind. I saw exactly one of each in about a hundred hours in the woods. But hey, I'm sure the car insurance industry is happy.:rolleyes:

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    A little late posting but finally got her done and a tag on a huge buck last day of early archery. 9.8 yard shot and i wasnt even in my stand, i was on the ground and walking to it about 8:45am (think ill start oversleeping more often). I had just crossed my creek and was about half way to my stand when i noticed 3 does on a ridge line about 50 yards in front of me. I stopped so i wouldn't spook them and ended up having a 12 minute staring contest with one of the does as she couldn't figure out what the heck i was. I figured i was busted but finally all three does turned there heads to look back at a little basket 6 and a spike coming up behind them. They ended up taking off with the 6 and spike in chase. That's when i noticed out of the corner of my eye to my left a doe walking a trail about 20 yards in front to my left from me and headed right towards me. I saw movement behind her and thought it was another doe or little buck after her. All i ended up seeing was nothing but rack through the trees right behind her. The doe ended up going the same direction she was pointed in and eventually passed right by me no more than 7 yards directly to my left. The buck ended up veering to the right a little and started heading right towards me on another trail that split from the other the doe was on. He came exactly 9.8 yards (lasered it later) before he finally stopped and looked up and that's when i think he finally realized I was there standing by the tree he was getting ready to walk by and something wasnt quite right. Long story short after drawing my bow when i had the opportunity when neither the doe or buck was looking and holding it for what seemed like an eternity till i had a shot, i let the arrow fly. I saw it hit home and he ran about 40 yards and piled up.

Attachments

• _DSC0460.jpg
      _DSC0460.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 45
    • _DSC0468.jpg
      _DSC0468.jpg
      1,006.2 KB · Views: 44
    • 20181110_091106.jpg
      20181110_091106.jpg
      940.7 KB · Views: 42
    • 20181110_091051.jpg
      20181110_091051.jpg
      976.3 KB · Views: 51
    • 20181113_020210.jpg
      20181113_020210.jpg
      451.8 KB · Views: 49

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Opening day 10-1 crossbow and 5 yo in tow sat on the ground leaned up against a tree with a little tall grass in front of us. 7am big bodied small racked buck walks out gets right in front of us at 20 yards looks at us broadside and I took the shot. First deer with an arrow, first buck on my property, and my first buck ever. after hunting my little 10 acres for 5 years finally got a buck and my daughter was with she was excite d to say the least. Saw him run off never heard him drop I feared the worst....... no arrow it was stuck in him. Waited 30 m daughter and I started scanning for the blood. Didn't get blood until 30 yds followed it for 20 more yards and there he was. In the excitement.... I either pulled the shot... or he slightly turned.. or my cheap xbow decided to send a wild one.... but hit in front of his shoulder and then went back into the vitals where it hit the heart and single lung, mechanical broadhead never opened up. As a novice hunter at 30+ he is still going on my wall because we said all of our first bucks are being mounted. So he will be forever, next year my daughter hopefully gets to hang hers.

This was only the SECOND buck I had ever seen hunting my property and then.... my daughter and I went out later for a doe and a giant 10pt was in front of us at 10yds:laugh:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Opening day 10-1 crossbow and 5 yo in tow sat on the ground leaned up against a tree with a little tall grass in front of us. 7am big bodied small racked buck walks out gets right in front of us at 20 yards looks at us broadside and I took the shot. First deer with an arrow, first buck on my property, and my first buck ever. after hunting my little 10 acres for 5 years finally got a buck and my daughter was with she was excite d to say the least. Saw him run off never heard him drop I feared the worst....... no arrow it was stuck in him. Waited 30 m daughter and I started scanning for the blood. Didn't get blood until 30 yds followed it for 20 more yards and there he was. In the excitement.... I either pulled the shot... or he slightly turned.. or my cheap xbow decided to send a wild one.... but hit in front of his shoulder and then went back into the vitals where it hit the heart and single lung, mechanical broadhead never opened up. As a novice hunter at 30+ he is still going on my wall because we said all of our first bucks are being mounted. So he will be forever, next year my daughter hopefully gets to hang hers.

This was only the SECOND buck I had ever seen hunting my property and then.... my daughter and I went out later for a doe and a giant 10pt was in front of us at 10yds:laugh:
    That’s really cool that your daughter was able to be there with you. Both of the does I shot this year were from the ground with one or two kids with me.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    A little late posting but finally got her done and a tag on a huge buck last day of early archery. 9.8 yard shot and i wasnt even in my stand, i was on the ground and walking to it about 8:45am (think ill start oversleeping more often). I had just crossed my creek and was about half way to my stand when i noticed 3 does on a ridge line about 50 yards in front of me. I stopped so i wouldn't spook them and ended up having a 12 minute staring contest with one of the does as she couldn't figure out what the heck i was. I figured i was busted but finally all three does turned there heads to look back at a little basket 6 and a spike coming up behind them. They ended up taking off with the 6 and spike in chase. That's when i noticed out of the corner of my eye to my left a doe walking a trail about 20 yards in front to my left from me and headed right towards me. I saw movement behind her and thought it was another doe or little buck after her. All i ended up seeing was nothing but rack through the trees right behind her. The doe ended up going the same direction she was pointed in and eventually passed right by me no more than 7 yards directly to my left. The buck ended up veering to the right a little and started heading right towards me on another trail that split from the other the doe was on. He came exactly 9.8 yards (lasered it later) before he finally stopped and looked up and that's when i think he finally realized I was there standing by the tree he was getting ready to walk by and something wasnt quite right. Long story short after drawing my bow when i had the opportunity when neither the doe or buck was looking and holding it for what seemed like an eternity till i had a shot, i let the arrow fly. I saw it hit home and he ran about 40 yards and piled up.
    Huge deer and awesome story. I grew up hunting out west so Treestand hunting is still kind of foreign to me. I love stalking the ridges slowly in the hopes of stumbling into what you did.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    What a rough start this year. Early crossbow season just hung up crossbow and turned when buck came from behind me and then saw me, didn't move but he was spooked as he rushed past my stand. He stopped about 25 yds and was able to get a shot but hit a limb and found my arrow stuck in a cottonwood. Ya bummed, wanna quit hunting...lol....been saying that for decades. I checked sight and they were good, scope with mutilple cross hairs that came with it, used it last year and all was good. One week later a nice 10 point not seen on any trail cam came in from another stand and had great shot at 24 yds again.....misssed while a limb above it swayed. Watched him for next 15 minutes unharmed and not even too spooked but couldn't get him to come back in.....never found my arrow. Check the sites and for some reason they are now hitting a foot high!!! So practice where its at now and all seems good. Week before gun season nice buck comes in about 33 yards and first stand which is new, but too many limbs so don't take the shot. Later that day I go back and trim limbs like crazy. The next morning same buck hot on a doe comes back, doe exits brush into the clear trail at what I paced off at 36 yds......the buck looks like he is coming out same spot, but actually came out farther down so shot for about 38 yds and thought for sure I drilled him....nope, miss number 3 as I found my arrow dry and where he stood turned out to be about 50 yds. Saw the buck once during gun season in same area but I was in the wrong stand. With gun season over and all the shooting I was less than hopeful, but my son and sister this past week saw a big buck in the area, so back out I kept going. Got to stand last eying with a hour before sunset, 20 minutes before sunset and called away with the grunt call hoping a buck was in the bedding area or near by, just did a series and stopped. just before sunset a doe came out and coming down trail that goes right by my stand. For almost 5 solid minutes she looks at me, back and forth. I can't move. She does everything to get me to move, then another doe is coming and she moves past and that doe sees me but since the first doe went by she passes also. At this time I though I would shoot one, fill my tag and be done till next year.....but what if a buck comes along.....well I hear what sounds like a fawn bleat a few times...and with the does just to my right, but can't look still not moving, I see a nice buck now walking down the trail towards me with a tiny deer right behind him. There no way I can move, been here done that in the past. I know I will literally have to let him get past me or under before moving. Yup he see me, several times he stops to look at me at 10 yards and down. I wait for him to snort and run, but he drops his head and continues towards the does to my right that I hoped had moved on. Straight out and down from me he comes and I move the crossbow from my lap and aim down, all I see is chest, take my time and find right behind shoulder and wacko! he runs about 40 yards to edge of woods, while I do some deer bleats to trying stop him....I continue doe bleats as he looks, and then I could see the hole and blood coming out or my eyes were playing tricks on me? I started to get worried because he stayed there for so long.....too long....way too long...O dear did I miss again....o crap....finally he took off across the picked corn field and trees now blocked my view! But at last sight he looked to be "bucking" a little. When I got to the edge of the woods, I couldn't find my arrow or any blood to that point and my heart was sinking fast. But there was a deer out in the field 75 yards. Down with a perfect double lung. I'm getting a new red dot no magnification sight for next year thats for sure. It ain't a monster, the brow tines are nothing so he's a big 6 pt. and I'm tickled to death for this Dec. 11th buck. Don't ever give up. phpmzRh4bAM.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom