• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I keep hearing it's all .40 HP. Does anyone know for sure?

@ Kirk - 1.6B rounds seems like a metric buttload. How many rounds would that equate to for each individual undergoing training or re-qual? I've never really been much of a tinfoiler, but that number seems somewhat high for a single year's procurement.

AlphaSig112

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Lawrence
    I am not sure but has anyone ever thought of the possibility that perhaps they have had similar problems as the rest of us in the ammo procurement department. I mean a shortage for us could also mean a shortage for them. Not trying to justify it all but if I get worried about shortages that could affect me I buy as much as I can afford to buy while I can. I don't know though if they have this same problem. Also I am pretty sure that they have to qualify with their duty ammo from other reading on the subject that I have done. I am by no means a federal agent or LEO but I would assume that could make some sense.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    To put that in perspective, during the height of active battle operations in Iraq, US soldiers used 5.5 million rounds of ammunition a month. Extrapolating the figures, the DHS has purchased enough bullets over the last 10 months to wage a full scale war for almost 30 years

So if these numbers are correct then the DHS has enough ammo to train the US Army for 30 years based on firing 5.5 millon rounds a month. Hmmm now I know DHS doesnt have as many agents as the Army has soldiers. So why the need for so many rounds of ammo? Especially hollow points. Even if everyone in the DHS including the janitor trained every single day of the week they couldnt possibly go through that much ammo.
    Chalking it all up to "training" purposes is a load of BS and something is going on here. To much stuff is happening in the US right now to ignore this "coincidence" of them ordering all this so called training ammo.
    Me thinks its time to invest in some tinfoil.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    As I said in the other thread...the solicitation is for 240,000 rounds, not 21.6 million. That's .24 million!

Alex Jones = sensational INFO makes him money, whether it's accurate or not.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As I said in the other thread...the solicitation is for 240,000 rounds, not 21.6 million. That's .24 million!

Yep, but 21.6 million....then extrapolating all the inaccurate numbers over the past several months to add up to billions....now that makes a story. 240,000 is just too rational.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified

https://marketplace.fedbid.com/fbwe...q5Ajq+RH6QAAAAAHeAAgAgTFCGg/FzzqQbJAAyVXBA0Or

Really? Unless I'm just not reading that correctly --

100,000 rounds - Qty of 100 = 10,000,000 rounds of Pistol Cartridge .40 caliber 165 Grain, jacketed Hollow point(Jhp).

100,000 rounds - Qty of 100 = 10,000,000 rounds of 9MM 115 GRAIN JACKETED HOLLOW POINT P/N 9BP-115 GRAIN JHP

40,000 rounds - Qty of 40 = 1,600,000 rounds PISTOL CARTIDGE 9MM BALL 124 GRAIN

Thats is where the 21.6 million number is coming from, anyway.

Regardless, someone in our federal government needs to explain why they need all this ammo and the recent DHS purchase of 7000 full auto rifles for "personal defense weapons". Training my ass.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    https://marketplace.fedbid.com/fbwe...q5Ajq+RH6QAAAAAHeAAgAgTFCGg/FzzqQbJAAyVXBA0Or

Really? Unless I'm just not reading that correctly --

100,000 rounds - Qty of 100 = 10,000,000 rounds of Pistol Cartridge .40 caliber 165 Grain, jacketed Hollow point(Jhp).

100,000 rounds - Qty of 100 = 10,000,000 rounds of 9MM 115 GRAIN JACKETED HOLLOW POINT P/N 9BP-115 GRAIN JHP

40,000 rounds - Qty of 40 = 1,600,000 rounds PISTOL CARTIDGE 9MM BALL 124 GRAIN

Thats is where the 21.6 million number is coming from, anyway.

Regardless, someone in our federal government needs to explain why they need all this ammo and the recent DHS purchase of 7000 full auto rifles for "personal defense weapons". Training my ass.

MX = 1000

100 MX = 100,000
    40 MX = 40,000

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do work in government contracting.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    MX = 1000

100 MX = 100,000
    40 MX = 40,000

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do work in government contracting.

Good for you, it just confuses me the way that is stated on the purchase order. I guess we are talking about the government here, so...

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Good for you, it just confuses me the way that is stated on the purchase order. I guess we are talking about the government here, so...

The description is confusing, but the U/I and qty are not. The U/I and qty are what matter here.

If you see a lot of these contracts it's very obvious what is copy/paste and what someone (who may or may not be great at his/her job has entered). The description here is just someone's idea of trying to explain what they want because they don't have an NSN or a P/N to specify.

Edit...n/m they do have p/n in there.

super duty1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    Esat of Indy
    DHS Buying Ammo.

DHS has purchased 1.6 billion rounds in the last ten months. Per Lou Dobbs on Fox Business News. I wonder why they need all of this ammo.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So if these numbers are correct

Again for the 100th time on INGO, the numbers used by hucksters like Jones are incorrect.

Chalking it all up to "training" purposes is a load of BS

No, it is not.

1. It is pistol ammo. PISTOL ammo. Who goes to war with pistols only?

2. The CTA and FLETC consume tons of ammo a year.

3. The Coast Guard, a section of the dreaded DHS, shoots a bunch as does USSS.

It's a quarter million rounds of PISTOL ammo for the TRAINING center.

Stop repeating the fraud of huckersters like Alex Jones. It makes INGO look bad.

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    So DHS purchased 1.6 billion rounds
    Wiki estimates around 240,000 employees

6,666.6666 rounds per employee (ammo of the beast!!)

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    Again for the 100th time on INGO, the numbers used by hucksters like Jones are incorrect.

No, it is not.

1. It is pistol ammo. PISTOL ammo. Who goes to war with pistols only?

2. The CTA and FLETC consume tons of ammo a year.

3. The Coast Guard, a section of the dreaded DHS, shoots a bunch as does USSS.

It's a quarter million rounds of PISTOL ammo for the TRAINING center.

Stop repeating the fraud of huckersters like Alex Jones. It makes INGO look bad.

Alex is nuts, no question, but do you dispute that they have issued purchase orders for 1.6 billion rounds in the last 10 months?

If no, then lets say each person in "training" fired 5000 rounds for example, that is enough ammo to train 320,000 people. Or 10,000 training rounds each would be enough for 160,000 people. How much training do these people need?

Just saying, not trying to pick a fight. Just seems like something extraordinary is going on here.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    I did find this that was interesting, considering just DHS and 450m rounds. Seems reasonable.

After receiving numerous questions from his constituents regarding the contract, pro-Second Amendment U.S. Rep. Lynn Westmoreland (R-Ga.) and his staff set out in search of the truth. In a press release, Rep. Westmoreland’s office explains:

If you take the number of agencies that will be using this ammunition – CBP, Citizenship and Immigration Services, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), ICE, the U.S. Secret Service, Transportation Security Administration, the DHS police force, and all the guards that protect the various buildings these agencies are housed in, and spread that out over 5 years, you start to see that 450 million rounds really isn’t that large of an order. Especially considering it is used for training purposes like firing range and live fire exercises, on-the-job use (though that is very limited), and to shore up their supplies. In fact, there are 65,000 – 70,000 law enforcement personnel at DHS who would be covered under this … ammunition contract. If DHS were to purchase all 450 million rounds over 5 years, then that would equate to only about 1,384 rounds of ammo per year per law enforcement [officer] … assuming the lower estimate of only 65,000 law enforcement personnel at DHS. Considering those agents go through training exercises several times per year, that is not a lot of ammunition.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Who says the ammo is to be used in the next year? I know I buy ammo well before I plan to use it. Makes sense that a government entity would to. Think Lake City only produces as much as the army needs for the next day?

Top Bottom