• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    Who says the ammo is to be used in the next year? I know I buy ammo well before I plan to use it. Makes sense that a government entity would to. Think Lake City only produces as much as the army needs for the next day?

All I know is that I can't find small pistol or rifle primers anywhere. Lol.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    All I know is that I can't find small pistol or rifle primers anywhere. Lol.

Keep in mind this is a SOLICITATION, not a DELIVERY ORDER. These are quite different. A solicitation is a request for a quote, generally with open bids. A delivery order is a purchase against a solicitation that was awarded the contract. Government contracts are often over-inflated in the media because they are based on maximum solicitation or contract values. Just because a solicitation or contract has a certain maximum value does not mean that a delivery orders for that amount will actually be issued. In this case, the order is for 240,000 rounds (not a huge amount by any means), and it appears that it will be a one time, one delivery order deal if it does eventually get awarded.

I work for a company that probably has more open government contracts than any other in the Fort Wayne area. Granted some of our contracts our only worth $1000, but I may be looking at easily 40 open contracts at one time. The point is, I get to read a lot of government contracts. Anyways, that's quite a lot of open contracts considering a place like ITT does a ton of business with the government, yet one location may only be working on one or two open contracts simultaneously. As it happens, my company gets written up in the papers once or twice a year when we win some "major" IDIQ (indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contract) "worth" $20mil or so. Nevermind that actual delivery orders will never amount to anything near $20mil. So, when you read in the news that so and so put out an award for 1.6 billion rounds of whatever...unless you have actual delivery orders cited take it with a grain of salt. FYI, these delivery orders would almost certainly be publicly available somewhere.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Simple. The evidence alleged to support the 1.6 billion number is based on whoever is reporting that not knowing how to decipher government procurement documents.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Simple. The evidence alleged to support the 1.6 billion number is based on whoever is reporting that not knowing how to decipher government procurement documents.

Can we think of multiple procurements? How about a running count for the past 12 months? How about a low poster throwing numbers out there that don't come close to the ops by about 1,599,999,760,000. There is only 1 procurement form on Walkens post, yet wants to say reading Infowars make you dumber.

tyler_durden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Westfield
    Perhaps it's an attempt to kill the gun culture?

If they do this for a long enough period and ammo shortages continue like they are, the non-reloader will have a hard time finding ammo....so people don't shoot as much.....gun culture doesn't gain new members.

Just a theory

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Alex is nuts, no question, but do you dispute that they have issued purchase orders for 1.6 billion rounds in the last 10 months?

Yes, I dispute it because they have NOT purchased 1.6 billion rounds.

DHS is reserving capacity, like an option contract.

Let's say you go to Wal-Mart and say, what can you give me for up to 100,000 cases of .22lr? Wal-Mart gives you a price.

However, you only buy one case OR you have not bought any .22 ammo as of yet. Have you purchased 100K cases of .22lr?

Keep in mind this is a SOLICITATION, not a DELIVERY ORDER. These are quite different. A solicitation is a request for a quote, generally with open bids. A delivery order is a purchase against a solicitation that was awarded the contract. Government contracts are often over-inflated in the media because they are based on maximum solicitation or contract values. Just because a solicitation or contract has a certain maximum value does not mean that a delivery orders for that amount will actually be issued. In this case, the order is for 240,000 rounds (not a huge amount by any means), and it appears that it will be a one time, one delivery order deal if it does eventually get awarded.

Thank you, jayhawk!

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Some one needs to look at their previous ammo purchases and see if they have made similar purchases in the past. If they haven't made similar purchases seems like some tin foil might be in order.

380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Homeland securuty buys another 21.6 MILLION rounds

Just read the Dept. of Home Land Security bought another 21.6 million rounds of .40 cal HOLLOW POINTS for target practice. Last I knew we never used hollow points for target practice! This is on top of the however many BILLION they just bought! Using our tax money to buy up all the ammo so we go hungry! I would hope these ammo manufactures aren't selling us out which is what it looks like.:xmad:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Just read the Dept. of Home Land Security bought another 21.6 million rounds of .40 cal HOLLOW POINTS for target practice. Last I knew we never used hollow points for target practice! This is on top of the however many BILLION they just bought! Using our tax money to buy up all the ammo so we go hungry! I would hope these ammo manufactures aren't selling us out which is what it looks like.:xmad:

Got a link to the source for this info?

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN

Just a question, don't a lot of people preach to practice what you will carry with? Obviously its not ideal to practice with hollow points, but I bet they are getting a fat deal on that many rds.

MetalMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Howard County
    If they are buying so much ammo, are they likewise buying more firearms to help consume their stockpiled ammo? Please use premium tin foil, I just bought stock in the Reynolds Wrap!!!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Just a question, don't a lot of people preach to practice what you will carry with? Obviously its not ideal to practice with hollow points, but I bet they are getting a fat deal on that many rds.
    The only reason I can think of for practicing with your carry ammo, is to make sure the brand works in your pistol. After you're verified that, you can use FMJ to give your practice ammo the recoil of the carry ammo--save LOTS of :twocents:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Again for the 100th time on INGO, the numbers used by hucksters like Jones are incorrect.

No, it is not.

1. It is pistol ammo. PISTOL ammo. Who goes to war with pistols only?

2. The CTA and FLETC consume tons of ammo a year.

3. The Coast Guard, a section of the dreaded DHS, shoots a bunch as does USSS.

It's a quarter million rounds of PISTOL ammo for the TRAINING center.

Stop repeating the fraud of huckersters like Alex Jones. It makes INGO look bad.

^^^THIS^^^

I work for the FED's and am a Lead Firearms instructor. There is no evil master plan. Not all folks take part in intense firearms training but a lot of "line staff" are required to be qualified on firearms. Then factor in the special teams with in the Border Patrol, Secret Service, FBI. Marshals Service, even the Bureau of Prisons that DO have intense firearms training daily or weekly and you are talking millions of rounds.

Also some agencies within the Feds have policy that any ammunition older than 5 years is rotated out to training however as much firing as we do I have never seen any make the 5 year mark before being expended. Then factor in the amount of rounds needed just for all the firearms used for on duty personnel and you are in the millions.

I have been in several armories for several Federal Agencies and have seen a couple cases short of 1 million rounds of 9mm on hand in a couple of them.

There was an issue after the 08 election in a most of the agencies had a hard time getting ammunition. The problem was the same everyone panic buying but the vendors that had the ammunition contract was not honoring the GOV contract and choose to sell for the higher price brought in by the civilian market at the time. This could be related to that since the panic buying this time around is a lot worse.

Here is a link to the number of LE staff within the Federal Governmenmt. interesting read for those not being familiar with the Fed's. The numbers start on page 18 for those not interested in the rest.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d07121.pdf

Last edited:
    Top Bottom