• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    So, that Greenwood Park mall hero, that was some shooting. So, here's a drill that I think approximates the situation, subject to revising.

I also think the name is suited, and would be a great way of honoring our heroes actions that day.

Dickens Drill

Setup:
    1 kill target
    Cover/supporting wall at 40 yards
    1 bystander target next to doorframe, dubbed GIRLFRIEND
    Several bystander targets between kill target and doorframe

Shooter starts at doorframe.
    Upon buzzer start:

1. Move GIRLFRIEND out of line of fire
    2. Fire from supported position until 1 hit is accomplished.
    3. Upon hit, move to engage target.
    4. Move and shoot to within 10 feet of target.
    5. While moving towards the target you must, keep firing at kill target, and motion for bystanders to exit behind or get down.

6. No reload unless malfunction.

Score to beat: 8/10 shots, 15 seconds, GIRLFRIEND behind cover, no bystanders shot

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    So our so called Hero is really a wife abuser in addition to killing a 20 year old who was just turning his life around...
    Yep. He should get his firearms taken away because of the "boyfriend loophole" legislation that was passed by congress.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    "Honey. I gotta go find a girlfriend to practice a Dicken's drill"
    You tell her you gotta find a girlfriend for a 'Dicken's drill? Whoa dude, be VERY VERY careful how you say that to her: Dicken's drill (say it to yourself without reading it...how does it SOUND?) Be prepared, she may take YOU out in less than 15 seconds!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    You tell her you gotta find a girlfriend for a 'Dicken's drill? Whoa dude, be VERY VERY careful how you say that to her: Dicken's drill (say it to yourself without reading it...how does it SOUND?) Be prepared, she may take YOU out in less than 15 seconds!
    I'm not crazy enough to actually do such a thing.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Welp.
    I’m in a sorry state tonight.
    I tried the cold bore 50 yard as was suggested here today with 3 different guns, and did ok, all three hits on a steel torso in 3.5ish, from appendix with a cover garment.

Moved on to the Dickens drill sans girlfriend, 40 yards, with a bit of advancement, and while I was getting 10 shots off in 8.5-8.9, all three guns were landing them hard left. Had about 8 hits in the yellow zone out of 30, with at least 5 not on paper.
    I was much more confidant than that before I started.

Moved on to the Gabe White 4 qualifiers and did ok, definitely could tell my times were slow and I am out of practice.

So the lesson for me is to not be overconfident!
    My overconfidence could really be trouble. I think I’ve heard my wife mention that maybe.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    While these early “repeat drills” are interesting and if it encourages one to “practice” that’s a great thing. But I would cation one to maybe emulate the scenario too much just yet as nobody knows for sure that the 15 seconds was a par time. Until the actual version comes out will we really know when the first and last round was the engagement started. Remarkable either way

Note and let me reiterate This is not any kind of criticism to anyone or Eli as he did a remarkable job. It’s just people are trying to emulate something that nobody outside of the investigation at this point really knows how it shook out.

Top Bottom