• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Pretty much in all of these attempts to replicate they are running about 7 seconds quicker. I think what would be of note of importance is that if Eli took an estimated 15 secs then he fired 10 rounds at a pretty steady disciplined cadence which is important. It's not about how many rounds you can get off as quickly as possible but it's how many rounds you can get on target at a steady controlled pace as possible. I think that was a contributing factor in Eli's success. He was definitely disciplined under the stress of the encounter which is quite impressive.

The part that I keep thinking about is that those 15 seconds include the couple of seconds it probably took to realize what was happening, the time to get the girlfriend safe, the time to locate the threat, and THEN engage.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The part that I keep thinking about is that those 15 seconds include the couple of seconds it probably took to realize what was happening, the time to get the girlfriend safe, the time to locate the threat, and THEN engage.
    The reported 15 seconds is the time the shooter was active. He fired 24 rounds, shot 4 people and was neutralized by Eli all within those 15 seconds.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Well now I am getting into the weeds, but it depends what we consider regular guy. I consider a 1.5 to an A zone at 7 to be a reasonable regular guy standard, if able to be done cold and consistently.
    I consider regular guy as just plucking some rando off the street. I really doubt if you picked five guys from the street that they would average sub 2 second hits on target from concealment.

Maybe an average of people who actually train.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I consider regular guy as just plucking some rando off the street. I really doubt if you picked five guys from the street that they would average sub 2 second hits on target from concealment.

I'm right around 2 seconds on average I'd say. And I hit the range an average of 35 times per year.

If I am closer to the target, I may draw in the 1.7-1.8 second range, but I guess by INGO standards, that makes me slow.

I mean it takes me 6 seconds or so to clear a plate rack or a Texas Star. Most guys I see seem to clear a plate rack in not much more time than it takes me to draw and hit the first plate!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Would 5 "rando's" know how to operate a gun?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm right around 2 seconds on average I'd say. And I hit the range an average of 35 times per year.

If I am closer to the target, I may draw in the 1.7-1.8 second range, but I guess by INGO standards, that makes me slow.

I mean it takes me 6 seconds or so to clear a plate rack or a Texas Star. Most guys I see seem to clear a plate rack in not much more time than it takes me to draw and hit the first plate!
    That's not slow, especially if you're making decent hits.

Visit any shooting competition and you'll see how fast people draw and get on target. I don't think it would average out to sub 2 seconds

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Kinda my point.
    You'd have to narrow it down to "5 gun owners" at the very least.

But, many gun owners buy their guns, and put them in the closet.

So, maybe you'd have to further narrow it to "5 gun carriers"
    Regular guy to me is just that, pick anybody at random.

I would still say if you just picked 50 random gun carriers or gun owners you still wouldn't see an average of sub 2 second draw from concealment to good hits.

I've participated in plenty of competitions to know that that speed widely differs.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Regular guy to me is just that, pick anybody at random.

I would still say if you just picked 50 random gun carriers or gun owners you still wouldn't see an average of sub 2 second draw from concealment to good hits.

I've participated in plenty of competitions to know that that speed widely differs.
    I think a good way to define regular guy is those of us on here, who train, who maybe have a good idea of their times, just regular gun guys, as opposed to YouTube stars, “influencers”, trainers, or people taking competition very seriously, like the guy in this vid.
    Can’t just pull people off the street, not really fair or valid.

Top Bottom