• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    While these early “repeat drills” are interesting and if it encourages one to “practice” that’s a great thing. But I would cation one to maybe emulate the scenario too much just yet as nobody knows for sure that the 15 seconds was a par time. Until the actual version comes out will we really know when the first and last round was the engagement started. Remarkable either way

Note and let me reiterate This is not any kind of criticism to anyone or Eli as he did a remarkable job. It’s just people are trying to emulate something that nobody outside of the investigation at this point really knows how it shook out.
    I don't think the distance has been confirmed either.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I don't think the distance has been confirmed either.
    True While the distance is maybe not 100% it’s been estimated to within 3 yards of accuracy. The Greenwood Police press conference did mention 40 yards and another LE forum as well as Handgun Combatives shared it on his FB page. The person with Simon Properties access stated 43 yards so I’d say that is probably a pretty close if not spot on estimate. The timeline of how fast the shots were taken is a little harder to pin point without a video breakdown. AND depending on viewpoint it would probably take the view of several camera angles and the video to be “Synced “ to have each videos time jive.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    True While the distance is maybe not 100% it’s been estimated to within 3 yards of accuracy. The Greenwood Police press conference did mention 40 yards and another LE forum as well as Handgun Combatives shared it on his FB page. The person with Simon Properties access stated 43 yards so I’d say that is probably a pretty close if not spot on estimate. The timeline of how fast the shots were taken is a little harder to pin point without a video breakdown. AND depending on viewpoint it would probably take the view of several camera angles and the video to be “Synced “ to have each videos time jive.

I must have missed it then. I don't do FB.
    That must be a pretty big food court.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Pretty much in all of these attempts to replicate they are running about 7 seconds quicker. I think what would be of note of importance is that if Eli took an estimated 15 secs then he fired 10 rounds at a pretty steady disciplined cadence which is important. It's not about how many rounds you can get off as quickly as possible but it's how many rounds you can get on target at a steady controlled pace as possible. I think that was a contributing factor in Eli's success. He was definitely disciplined under the stress of the encounter which is quite impressive.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    7cjNkMf.jpg

Top left was shot cold, don't have access to a 40 yard range, all shots taken standing unsupported.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Pretty much in all of these attempts to replicate they are running about 7 seconds quicker. I think what would be of note of importance is that if Eli took an estimated 15 secs then he was firing rounds at a pretty steady disciplined cadence which is important. It's not about how many rounds you can get off as quickly as possible but it's how many rounds you can get on target at a steady controlled pace as possible. I think that was a contributing factor in Eli's success. He was definitely disciplined under the stress of the encounter which is quite impressive.
    Cadence is the word! Folks get to wrapped up about split times. LAPD SWAT standard is .50 or 1/2 second between shots and they are one of the best in the nation. Of course that’s at least than 40 ish yards as it would slow down. When the specifics come out I’m leaning toward Eli did right at 1.0 or slightly leads a second and he was in fact in a groove shooting at a cadence and assessing each shot and if the next follow up was needed.

We shall see in a couple weeks I’m sure

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    The idea of cadence could be true, another possibility is that he was moving forward and possibly even taking cover, but firing more rapidly when he got the chance.
    Do we know of his movements yet?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If I read it correctly the 15 seconds was not the time it took Eli to fire 10 rounds, it was the total time the shooter was "active" until Eli neutralized him.

In the updated timeline that was released the Chief stated that the time lapse between when the murderer exited the restroom, and when he was shot by Eli was 15 sec.

He said the surveillance video showed that the murderer exited the restroom at 5:56:48 pm and was neutralized by Eli at 5:57:03pm.

So it looks like Eli's first shot came 15secs. after the perp came out of the restroom.

I guess a lot of people interpreted it as the perp was neutralized within 15 sec after Eli started shooting instead of 15 sec after the perp started shooting.

Who knows how many seconds it took after Eli's first shot. Could'nt have been too long.

1658736390016.png

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Welp.
    I’m in a sorry state tonight.
    I tried the cold bore 50 yard as was suggested here today with 3 different guns, and did ok, all three hits on a steel torso in 3.5ish, from appendix with a cover garment.

Moved on to the Dickens drill sans girlfriend, 40 yards, with a bit of advancement, and while I was getting 10 shots off in 8.5-8.9, all three guns were landing them hard left. Had about 8 hits in the yellow zone out of 30, with at least 5 not on paper.
    I was much more confidant than that before I started.

Moved on to the Gabe White 4 qualifiers and did ok, definitely could tell my times were slow and I am out of practice.

So the lesson for me is to not be overconfident!
    My overconfidence could really be trouble. I think I’ve heard my wife mention that maybe.
    You know why hits were low left yes.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I must have missed it then. I don't do FB.
    That must be a pretty big food court.
    The one at the mall in Lafayette has to be pretty close to that. It's been so many years since I've been there I honestly can't remember, but I think the one at South lake mall(yeah I know they changed the name) was pretty good sized.
    In the updated timeline that was released the Chief stated that the time lapse between when the murderer exited the restroom, and when he was shot by Eli was 15 sec.

He said the surveillance video showed that the murderer exited the restroom at 5:56:48 pm and was neutralized by Eli at 5:57:03pm.

So it looks like Eli's first shot came 15secs. after the perp came out of the restroom.

I guess a lot of people interpreted it as the perp was neutralized within 15 sec after Eli started shooting instead of 15 sec after the perp started shooting.

But in any case, he was neutralized, and the threat was over pretty quickly and efficiently after Eli's first shot.

View attachment 213727
    Maybe, did the chief just count the time until the scum turned to go back to the **** house where he belonged? Or until Dicken stopped firing?

If it was the second, his 10 shots were less than 15 seconds. Probably closer to 10, time to react after the first shot, time to get up, push his girlfriend down, take cover and begin shooting. That's gotta eat up a couple of seconds.

If it was the first, who knows how long it took him.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The one at the mall in Lafayette has to be pretty close to that, if not more.

Maybe, did the chief just count the time until the scum turned to go back to the **** house where he belonged? Or until Dicken stopped firing?

If it was the second, his 10 shots were less than 15 seconds. Probably closer to 10, time to react after the first shot, time to get up, push his girlfriend down, take cover and begin shooting. That's gotta eat up a couple of seconds.

If it was the first, who knows how long it took him.
    Well, it's kind of difficult to interpret. Looks like the Chief stated that the perp first exited the restroom and started firing then 15 secs after that Eli took his first shot.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well, it's kind of difficult to interpret. Looks like the Chief stated that the perp first exited the restroom and started firing then 15 secs after that Eli took his first shot.
    Yeah. From how he said it, it could be either one. Actually any one of three that I can think of. What does he define as neutralized? After the first shot or two? When said scum hit the floor? Or when Dicken stopped firing? One thing that lends some credence to your interpretation is I think I heard said scum fired 20+ rounds.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah. From how he said it, it could be either one. Actually any one of three that I can think of. What does he define as neutralized? After the first shot or two? When said scum hit the floor? Or when Dicken stopped firing? One thing that lends some credence to your interpretation is I think I heard said scum fired 20+ rounds.
    Yeah seeing as how the perp managed to shoot 5 people before Eli shot him there had to have been some time lapse after the perp left the bathroom so that's why I'm tending toward Eli's first shot came 15 sec. after the perp came out of the bathroom and started shooting.

Top Bottom