Dick's won't sell .22LR unless you're 21??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Gotcha. I think a lot of people are not familiar with ATF regs on interchangeable ammo, and certainly not Dick's managers: ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Conduct of Business (Licensees)

I was not aware of that exception to the rule. An odd exception if I may say so. I'll bet the Dick's corporate lawyers have said "..no sales to minors...", and that is that as far as the managers are concerned.

Or, it could be someone who is not informed, like myself.

Or, it may just be some dick working at Dick's!

Whatever, reps for educating an old man. :patriot:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    LOL Thanks. If it weren't for Google, I wouldn't know anything. ;)

We share the same secret.
    If im not behind my computer im a total idiot and I dont know anything, I even use Google to spell check my posts. :):

BTW is "sabreur" related to fencing? :dunno:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Walk to cashier at Walmart to buy 22LR and 9mm Ammo...
    Me: I would like to buy this ammo.
    Cashier: Okay. Is it for a handgun?
    Me: Yes.
    Cashier: Okay. Thanks. Your total is ##.##

They've never once asked for ID verification... And this is probably 5-8 visits now; Same every time.
    Seems ass-backwards on being concerned of age requirements at Wal-mart.

Sabreur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    We share the same secret.
    If im not behind my computer im a total idiot and I dont know anything, I even use Google to spell check my posts. :):

BTW is "sabreur" related to fencing? :dunno:
    I've totally done the same thing! And yes, I am a fencer. "Sabreur" is just French for someone who fences saber. :)

Sabreur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Walk to cashier at Walmart to buy 22LR and 9mm Ammo...
    Me: I would like to buy this ammo.
    Cashier: Okay. Is it for a handgun?
    Me: Yes.
    Cashier: Okay. Thanks. Your total is ##.##

They've never once asked for ID verification... And this is probably 5-8 visits now; Same every time.
    Seems ass-backwards on being concerned of age requirements at Wal-mart.
    Hmmm...I guess I'll try Wal-Mart next. If they will sell to me, then Dick's won't be seeing me again any time soon. Sheesh.

Oh, and I did hear back from corporate. I got the expected "the manager is always right" spiel. Bleh.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I see the logic but still ridiculous...we started buying 22lr at the hardware store when I was like 9....whats the country coming too???

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    for all the himming and hawing there is a simple solution, Dick's wont sell you 22.lr go somewhere else and buy it. If Dick's doesn't want your money or patronage there are plenty of other places that do. find a small local gun shop and support them you will get what you need and help keep open a business that we all can enjoy. Just my $.02

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Stores are STRANGE.

Lebanon, IN Wal-Mart sold me 9x19mm Parabellum WWB once, when the associate asked me if I purchasing these rounds for a Handgun. I was so I replied "yes". Then making small talk like I always do I proceeded to ask him why he asked me that. But being a typical Wal-Mart employee he shrugged and said "I don't know, it's policy".

Then I questioned him: What would you do if I told you I'm purchasing it for a Carbine?

Again, he shrugged.

I had to point out to him that anybody can say they're purchasing rounds for a rifle/carbine (legal 16"+ barrel) and supposedly bypass the 21 year old requirement and purchase as rifle ammunition (18 year old requirement). At least as far as I've seen or heard in the past.... I have not yet seen a chart/list showing which calibers are in fact Handgun and Rifle.

Make sense to anyone? It doesn't to me. Marlin Camp 9, H&K USC 45, Kel-Tec Sub-2000 40 S&W, H&R Lever-Action .44 Magnum. Easier compiled: Rifles capable of firing a pistol caliber.

Strange laws huh :rolleyes:

EDIT:
    To the contrary! Think about the AMT-30 Backup. It fires the .30 Carbine caliber..... Meh. Or the Kel-Tec RMR-30 for that matter and the 22WMR caliber

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I understand it is legal for a person under the age of 21 to purchase rifle ammunition.

If I am correct, in that you need to be 21 to buy handgun ammo, then the problem lies in symantics.

It's a subjective interpretation of the law.

I'm not saying I agree with the law, Dick's Sporting Goods, their manager, or even you. I was merely pointing out the facts as I see them.

Someone may run into a similar problem trying to buy .410 shot-shells now, as they now fit several different makers handguns.

Once again, I'm not saying I agree with it, just that I could imagine it happening.

First, let me say I think the law is DUMB, either way. If you can vote for who will run the country and enlist in the military to fight and die for your country, you can dang sure be trusted to purchase rifle AND pistol ammunition.

With that out of the way, who's to say what ammo is for rifle and what ammo is for pistol? My son shoots a Hi-Point 995TS carbine in 9mm. I shoot a 7-08 rifle cartridge...from a 14" Contender pistol. Lots of guys have Encore pistols in 243, 308, 30-'06, etc. If I tell the guy behind the counter I want 7-08 ammo for my "pistol", do I have to be 21?

If the intent of the law is to keep ammunition that is primarily used for pistols out of the hands of guys who can be soldiers, but not buy a rum n' coke at a bar, OK...it sucks, but OK. Using that logic, the VAST MAJORITY of 22LR ammo sold in this country is shot through rifles, not handguns. Hence, it is not "handgun" ammo, unless that's what you tell the moron behind the counter it's for.

Bottom line: The manager at Dick's is certainly working at a store with the correct name for his personality. ;)

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Stores are STRANGE.

Lebanon, IN Wal-Mart sold me 9x19mm Parabellum WWB once, when the associate asked me if I purchasing these rounds for a Handgun. I was so I replied "yes". Then making small talk like I always do I proceeded to ask him why he asked me that. But being a typical Wal-Mart employee he shrugged and said "I don't know, it's policy".

Then I questioned him: What would you do if I told you I'm purchasing it for a Carbine?

Again, he shrugged.

I had to point out to him that anybody can say they're purchasing rounds for a rifle/carbine (legal 16"+ barrel) and supposedly bypass the 21 year old requirement and purchase as rifle ammunition (18 year old requirement). At least as far as I've seen or heard in the past.... I have not yet seen a chart/list showing which calibers are in fact Handgun and Rifle.

Make sense to anyone? It doesn't to me. Marlin Camp 9, H&K USC 45, Kel-Tec Sub-2000 40 S&W, H&R Lever-Action .44 Magnum. Easier compiled: Rifles capable of firing a pistol caliber.

Strange laws huh :rolleyes:

EDIT:
    To the contrary! Think about the AMT-30 Backup. It fires the .30 Carbine caliber..... Meh. Or the Kel-Tec RMR-30 for that matter and the 22WMR caliber

The law is a dumb one but the post above probably explains why the policy is so stringent. Selling handgun ammo to a person under 21 is sufficient to have your FFL revoked and even jail time. Large corporations with multiple sales people makes it hard to insure an employee does not screw up and it is always up to interpretation as to what the end use of the ammo will be (handgun or rifle). Therefore they probably made a blanket policy where no .22 ammo is sold to a person under 21. It would be the only way to make sure a mistake does not occur.
    I wouldn't blame Dick's mgt. I would blame the lawmakers for making such a ridiculous law in the first place.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    The law is a dumb one but the post above probably explains why the policy is so stringent. Selling handgun ammo to a person under 21 is sufficient to have your FFL revoked and even jail time. Large corporations with multiple sales people makes it hard to insure an employee does not screw up and it is always up to interpretation as to what the end use of the ammo will be (handgun or rifle). Therefore they probably made a blanket policy where no .22 ammo is sold to a person under 21. It would be the only way to make sure a mistake does not occur.
    I wouldn't blame Dick's mgt. I would blame the lawmakers for making such a ridiculous law in the first place.

Definitely have it said right in the last sentence!

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Even though the law as it stands is ridiculous, I can recall having to sign "The Book" at Wal Mart to buy ammo.
    That was 30 years ago.
    Any other codgers remember that and if it was Wal Mart policy or a law?

Top Bottom