Dick's won't sell .22LR unless you're 21??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    OK, I've gotta say it.... This law has always made me more sick to my stomach than the drinking age. 18 is old enough for kids to be flown to the other side of the world to risk their life for us with an M9 on their hip but they cannot buy one to protect their family at home!

End of rant since I'm preaching to the choir!!!! :xmad:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yet I was forced to show ID for spray paint at Wal*Mart last month. I'm almost 40.:xmad:

A year or so ago, I went to the Peoples Republic of Illinois, Chicago, to do some remodeling on a house. Yeah, sometimes I travel too far :rolleyes:

Anyway, I needed spray-paint to touch-up some steel cabinets. Went to the local Ace Hardware. I found the spray paint in a locked case, much like we see ammo here.
    I not only had to show I.D., I had to produce a business card showing I was a contractor.

Joe Blow can NOT buy spray paint in Chicago! At least not 2 years ago. :dunno:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Spray paint, bullets, ID

At the age of 64, I was "carded" at Home Depot when I bought spray paint. The cashier asked me the year of my birth. I thought she was kidding and asked "how old do you have to be to buy spray paint". She said 21! I said, "do you think this gray beard came with the glasses and the nose?" Turned out she was not kidding though we both laughed about it. She knew I was old enough but she was required to enter an appropriate year of birth of the customer or the register would not ring up the spray paint. Not her fault! Probably the same kind of thing when buying ammo which can be shot in a handgun. The cashier, who may know nothing about guns even if they are in Dick's gun department, is most likely just following a policy over which they have zero control. It's called doing their job.

Remember it is probably not the fault of the person who is checking you out. You have a great opportunity here to leave an impression which may reflect on all gun owners.........one way or the other!

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I thought spray paint was only 18 as I have bough it at walmart for years? Now .22lr can be bought before 21 you should have to just say its for a rifle or maybe it was because I was also buying a .22lr rifle at that moment. Now I wouldn't think that most places will sell 9mm or .45 even tho there are carbines for it because it is primarily a handgun ammo unless you were to bring the carbine in.
    Finally
    Also isnt dicks expensive to buy ammo at anyways compared to walmart or other places which in there computer ask is it for rifle or handgun(local walmart did so all should).

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Come dress as hitman and tell the manager you really need some premium ammo for a new contract you just got.
    Make sure to ask if they sell body bags by the dozen just after. ;)

LOL - just imagine it - Dress all in black, OC, ask for a box of ammo, and by the way, can you ring up these gloves and ski mask at the same time. :):

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Even though the law as it stands is ridiculous, I can recall having to sign "The Book" at Wal Mart to buy ammo.
    That was 30 years ago.
    Any other codgers remember that and if it was Wal Mart policy or a law?

40 yrs.ago at Dicks Trading Post in Wabash.I believe it was the law then.:oldwise:

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    Today I bought a 550 pack of Federal 22lr from Walmart and it was the first time I was not "carded" buying ammo there, the cashier just answered yes to the "Is customer over 21" question on the register. Maybe it had something to do with the sleeping 6 month old baby that I was holding (head resting on my shoulder) during the purchase...

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Today I bought a 550 pack of Federal 22lr from Walmart and it was the first time I was not "carded" buying ammo there, the cashier just answered yes to the "Is customer over 21" question on the register. Maybe it had something to do with the sleeping 6 month old baby that I was holding (head resting on my shoulder) during the purchase...

so a sleeping baby is the ultimate hitman disguise...

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Funny stuff. At the local Walmarts I shop for 9mm, I always answer it's for a handgun, but I wonder if 1/2 the clerks would no the difference. Not a slam, but they're just going thur the motions.

I remember the good old days when our local grocery store carried .22's and I bought them when I was a kid. Man I guess my kids are right -I am old....

joshua_xdm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Oh Vear
    after i got out of basic training in 2007, i purchased a glock 21 from a family friend and i went to buy ammo for it and they said no. at the time i had no clue of the 21 rule. then i thought to myself, "i can serve my country, which i ended up doing 5 months later" but i cant buy .45 ammo. seems to me they need to throw that law out :ar15:

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Dick's is a crappy place to go for guns. Everytime I have been there, the gun counter guy seems almost irriated that I want to look at a firearm. They just need to give up on the weapons and ammo sales and stick to regular sporting goods.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    I agree that they are kinda shady. I have gone to the one here and it seems that they are irritated that you want to spend money there. Funny you have to be 21 to buy .22lr. But you only have to be 18 to buy 000 buck.

I'd go somewhere else.

Top Bottom