Dick's won't sell .22LR unless you're 21??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    [snip]
    With that out of the way, who's to say what ammo is for rifle and what ammo is for pistol? My son shoots a Hi-Point 995TS carbine in 9mm. I shoot a 7-08 rifle cartridge...from a 14" Contender pistol. Lots of guys have Encore pistols in 243, 308, 30-'06, etc. If I tell the guy behind the counter I want 7-08 ammo for my "pistol", do I have to be 21? Technically... yes.

;)

But it is primarily, shot through rifles. So people who are unfamiliar with gun culture, and gun models and etc, will just push it through as long as you are 18. I have actually had the store clerk inquire as to what I wanted to shoot it from, rather than just the standard "Rifle or Pistol?" He was curious as to make and model. Luckily it was for a rifle, and I was 19, and we had a nice pleasant conversation about how obscure the law was and other backwards things in this country. Nice fellow. To bad it wasn't my local walmart, he's a clerk I would have liked to see regularly.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    You got further than I did, the Dicks in Bloomington wouldn't even send a person over to get it from behind the counter; so I was content to take my business elsewhere.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Nobody said that laws should make sense, especially laws involving guns. I don't think there is any ammo sold at any of the big box stores that is not interchangeable between handgun and rifle. You can go to any given store and hear a dozen different versions of the same law pertaining to the sale of ammo.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I understand it is legal for a person under the age of 21 to purchase rifle ammunition.

If I am correct, in that you need to be 21 to buy handgun ammo, then the problem lies in symantics.

It's a subjective interpretation of the law.

Wrong. It's the intended use that controls, if the purchaser says "handgun" then >=21, if purchaser says "rifle" the >=18. Period.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Even though the law as it stands is ridiculous, I can recall having to sign "The Book" at Wal Mart to buy ammo.
    That was 30 years ago.
    Any other codgers remember that and if it was Wal Mart policy or a law?

Prior to FOPA '86 you had to sign for ammo.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Even though the law as it stands is ridiculous, I can recall having to sign "The Book" at Wal Mart to buy ammo.
    That was 30 years ago.
    Any other codgers remember that and if it was Wal Mart policy or a law?
    It WAS the LAW GCA of 1968, after Bobby Kennedy got killed with a .22 LONG RIFLE handgun ..... Ronald Reagan did away with the signing, when he was President .....

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I hate those stores. When they ask "is this for handgun or rifle" my reply ranges from "whatever is included is fine" too "hey you work here you tell me I am just here to buy a sports bra" too "gun? oh no no I hit them with a rock till they go bangy" :) ask a stupid question get a stupid answer.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Gold spraypaint is particularly popular with the huffers, silver too, I guess. Probably more about graffiti, though. Dumbasses think they can prevent someone getting away with something dumb by inconveniencing the sheep.

Top Bottom