• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Which model Henry?
    I have a Golden Boy God Bless America Edition coming next week to review. I wanted the God Bless America Edition Big Boy, but they are trying to move the .22 for Xmas.

I am only testing the waters with .22LR rifles.
    I've already had a friend say I should move to find another caliber I'd like since I'm enjoying rifles now that I've discovered scopes. :laugh:
    Sold the Henry b/c I found out I didn't like a lever action for target shooting: go figure.
    I got a Ruger 10/22 semi-auto months ago, then a Ruger Precision Rifle recently, since I wanted to try out a bolt action.
    I would be open to trying out a CZ 455/457 someday, but I'd like to shoot someone else's rifle before buying one.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I would be open to trying out a CZ 455/457 someday, but I'd like to shoot someone else's rifle before buying one.

Out of the box with no tweaking or upgrading , my CZs are probably the best shooting 22 rifles I have owned - a 452 Special/Trainer and an American. Although I did own a Sako P94S Finnfire Varmint that was really accurate with match ammo.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I am 59 now, have collected firearms since i was 12 yrs old! I do not advertise on forums as to what i have or how many and never post pics of my collections!! This is my hobby and there for me to enjoy, i do break out a different one and do some shooting then clean and store again, i weekly do thru different ones and wipe down ect. I like military firearms, have some that are rare and unique, very seldom buy one any more as prices have soared, but i consider it to be a good style of 401k. I am semi retired, have lots of free time to pursue my interest, and i do and enjoy it immensely, very seldom do i sell or trade a firearm but have on occasion to get something in finer shape. And thats all i got to say bout that!!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Out of the box with no tweaking or upgrading , my CZs are probably the best shooting 22 rifles I have owned - a 452 Special/Trainer and an American. Although I did own a Sako P94S Finnfire Varmint that was really accurate with match ammo.

I have heard nothing but good things about CZ rifles, but did know someone that had one that went to upgrading another brand and sold his CZ 455 or 457.
    I also was told to get the 455 or 457 b/c of a better trigger.
    Used prices on them are never low enough from what I can buy them for new, so I am just waiting.
    I don't know enough to know which models to avoid and which to go after, or whether it makes any difference to the amateur like myself.
    I won't be buying expensive ammo for it, just using CCI mostly.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Most of the time the 452 and 453 are more accurate than the 455 and 457. Probably because of the changeable barrel in the 455 and 457.

The 453 will have the best stock trigger, of course, and the 452 trigger can be easily improved with just a spring change. The 455 and 457 make it easier to change calibers (17 HMR and 22 Mag) with their changeable barrels.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Most of the time the 452 and 453 are more accurate than the 455 and 457. Probably because of the changeable barrel in the 455 and 457.
    The 453 will have the best stock trigger, of course, and the 452 trigger can be easily improved with just a spring change. The 455 and 457 make it easier to change calibers (17 HMR and 22 Mag) with their changeable barrels.

I am writing that down so I'll have it in case one comes up.
    I'm not a "trigger nut" but I do appreciate the few I've fired that have been "sweeeeet"

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    The 453 has a single set trigger so it will typically cost a little more, plus they made fewer of them and they have not been made for a while so they don't come up all that often.
    The trigger is very adjustable and is pretty sweet although when you push it forward the reach can be a little long for people with short fingers. The trigger is adjustable for the not-set position as well as for the set position which is very nice.
    You can use the normal trigger for hunting/varmints and then use the set trigger for bench/groups.
    The 453 came in American and Varmint models and 22LR as well as 17 HMR and 17 Mach 2 I think, I have never seen a 22 Mag 453.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Progress: 3 of the 6 are sold, or are for sale.

Keeping the Kimber 6s & the Sig 938, which opened the door to sell others.
    Almost picked up a Sig 365 w/safety last Sat, which would put others in jeopardy.

3DsCuW4.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Almost picked up a Sig 365 w/safety last Sat, which would put others in jeopardy.

Fired my P365 last weekend and it looks like it is going to be a pretty good shooter. It replaced my Smith Shield for my 9mm defensive pistol.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Fired my P365 last weekend and it looks like it is going to be a pretty good shooter. It replaced my Smith Shield for my 9mm defensive pistol.

When I got mine over a year ago, I sold my Shield 9 that I'd had longer than any other CC.
    I just couldn't believe how accurate it was for its size, out-shooting larger guns I had at the time.
    I probably will end up with one with a safety after they are not news any longer: I have't seen but 1 or 2 used ones with a safety for sale, unless it was very close to the $500 I can buy it new.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What categories do you have for handguns?
    Carry, range toy, 22, revolver?

.22LR guns are a category for fun/range only
    with revolver, semi-auto, and rifles subcategories (all on the same page of my Planner/Day-Timer

Carry guns
    includes revolvers, and semi-autos of different size:
    a. Micro= Beretta Tomcatt (.32acp)
    b. Sub compact= Sig 938 (2nd most often CC)
    c. Compact= Ruger SR9c
    d. Revolver= Kimber 6s (carry mostly)

House/Range
    a. CZ Shadow 2

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by T-DOGG View Post
    Like a dog chasing squirrels.

hANNAbONE
    Big 10-4

:ingo: Yes, I have been chasing after squirrels :runaway: my entire life and having more fun than anyone I know doing it!

You are a Truth-Teller! :thumbsup:

INGO is probably the last hobby I'll have until I lose my mobility. :fogey:

I am just an old man having fun before the arthritis (or worse) puts me in a chair (or worse). :oldwise:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I would think your buying/selling might draw the attention of some certain alphabet agency.

I'm guessing you haven't been to a Indiana gun show in the last few years? Quite a few 2-8 table booths with private sales that are constantly changing.
    Those guys must have 1,000's of firearms at home... Its like an endless supply.....

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Quote Originally Posted by T-DOGG View Post
    Like a dog chasing squirrels.

hANNAbONE
    Big 10-4

:ingo: Yes, I have been chasing after squirrels :runaway: my entire life and having more fun than anyone I know doing it!

You are a Truth-Teller! :thumbsup:

INGO is probably the last hobby I'll have until I lose my mobility. :fogey:

I am just an old man having fun before the arthritis (or worse) puts me in a chair (or worse). :oldwise:

Nothing wrong with that, there are certainly worse hobbies to have.
    I enjoy reading your posts, they have a refreshing honesty about them.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Interesting journey, this trimming the safe.
    I have sold and I am down to stark remains in some categories.
    I have only 1 range gun left (non-.22LR): CZ Shadow 2.
    Only 1 non-.22LR revolver left: Kimber .357.
    Only 1 9mm CC left: Sig 938 (I also have the micro .32 acp Beretta Tomcatt).

But, I have gone from one .22LR rifle up to 4 (and others I wanted to buy), then down to 3, and going down to 2 whenever I get around to it.
    In .22 caliber handguns, I continue to buy and sell b/c I have so much fun doing so.
    I got down to one 22 revolver, then bought 2 more: sold one already and the other is for sale presently.
    In the .22 semi-auto, I bought and sold some things lately that I've even had in the past.

In fact, I sold one and bought one today (and almost bought 2 today), but I'm too embarrassed to say what they are.
    But, one of them, my best friend "forced" me to sell it to him awhile back, and I really wasn't ready to part with it yet: a Beretta Neos.
    I just liked it b/c it was different and fun& low cost: $175 & $200 for the ones I've had and shoot anything, and have rear adjustable sights with a screw for elevation & windage like I think God intended for every gun to shoot targets with. :laugh:
    I have and have had others that shoot better, so what is it with me wanting a gun that is an "intro" gun? :dunno:
    I have been shooting a Beretta Bobcat tip-up barrel just b/c I find it a different kind of fun: the sights are so small I can't even see them & I've even painted the little stub of what they call sights: it's self-inflicted punishment. :dunno:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom