• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I have my doubts that even a sophisticated system such as this could track every gunshot in Chicago...
    a04c1a458b9c3db9512bb5706f2ac1e6.jpg

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If you have a decently loud old-fashioned stereo system and play something nice and loud to mask the sound of the shots... Your neighbors probably wouldn't even know.

I might know something of how this works--or I might not.

Allegedly.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I seriously doubt the ability of Shotspotter to pick up the sound of a shot inside of a house, unless you possibly had the windows or doors open. Think about it, sound travels in waves, anything in the way of those waves does one of two things; either deflects or absorbs those waves. Walls, furniture, curtains, window glass all impact the movement of that sound wave. By the time any sound exits the building it would be greatly muffled and difficult to determine if it was a backfire, gun shot, blowout, or spray can exploding in a trash fire. I would test it and see if the PO PO show up. You could always claim self defense against the ghosts living in your crib.:)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I seriously doubt the ability of Shotspotter to pick up the sound of a shot inside of a house, unless you possibly had the windows or doors open. Think about it, sound travels in waves, anything in the way of those waves does one of two things; either deflects or absorbs those waves. Walls, furniture, curtains, window glass all impact the movement of that sound wave. By the time any sound exits the building it would be greatly muffled and difficult to determine if it was a backfire, gun shot, blowout, or spray can exploding in a trash fire. I would test it and see if the PO PO show up. You could always claim self defense against the ghosts living in your crib.:)
    You forgot to tell him to make sure to report back here on his results. :):

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

You're probably right.
    I was just stating that the technology is there to locate where a gun was fired based on a single gunshot.

The neighbors reporting the gunshot to the police is probably more likely to happen.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My dad was letting the hammer down on his Commander one night around 0300 after his shift sometime in the mid 1970's. Back then you could carry personal weapons if you qualified. It was summer and his hand was sweaty, so you can guess what happened. The slug went down in the corner of an end table, burying itself in the leg a few inches down.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, we have the end table in our basement. He made a matching pair along with a coffee table and we have our basement family room/bar setup in a retro '70's style (on the bar I have this cool ceramic ash tray with a woman's hand poking up, fingers splayed to hold a cigarette). Anyway, my daughter was 17 and had some friends over, she held up the end table and told her friends "my last boyfriend had to use this as a shield from my dad" with a sad face.

Apple didn't fall far from the tree there... she is a smart aleck through and through. I was quite proud of my little girl that night :)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You're probably right.
    I was just stating that the technology is there to locate where a gun was fired based on a single gunshot.

The neighbors reporting the gunshot to the police is probably more likely to happen.
    Shot spotter has a less than stellar record of actually working as advertised.

Top Bottom