• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I shoot 22lr in my basement into a bullet trap once in while.
    Just ask your local police if that is legal. You might have to ask two or three of them and get two or three different answers and then look it up yourself.

FunkyZero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    I don't post much, but this is one story I could share.
    I know an individual who casts plastic and rubber .44mag slugs and shoots them in his basement. I don't remember specifically, but I 'think' he told me he just uses primers only, no powder.
    And even that is loud as all getout in a basement. The guy lives on 300 acres so I suppose it's just something to get by with because you aren't "supposed to".

Rbooher7526

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Indianapolis
    As I suppose many people do, I have a bucket of sand as a makeshift bullet trap. It's to be used for various questionable firearm safety situations. My bucket is here beside my little station where I play with my guns, cleaning, polishing, lubricating, coonfingering, etc. This desk is in an interior room of my home, on a residential lot inside the I 465 loop.

Now suppose hypothetically, for whatever reason, maybe a function test or a negligent discharge or even just plain orneriness, I were to pop a bullet or two into my bucket.......... What legal liability or ramifications could I encounter? Do I have a reasonable expectation of privacy in my home? Or am I still discharging a firearm inside city limits just like I was shooting off my porch? Would the possibility of the faint but unmistakable sound of gunfire be probable cause enough to warrant a forcible search? Or could I say to any questioning policemen "Hey! You kids get off my lawn!"?

And because someone is going to ask, yes I have rode my motorcycle in the house too. The wife made me scrub black rubber marks off the white kitchen floor tiles. That's how I got caught.
    I **** the mattress in the spare bedroom erroneously. Someday my wife is giing to find that little .380 hole and confiscate my guns. I can promise after the ringing in my ear stopped, i decided a bucket of ssnd wss better than the mattress.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    My dad was letting the hammer down on his Commander one night around 0300 after his shift sometime in the mid 1970's. Back then you could carry personal weapons if you qualified. It was summer and his hand was sweaty, so you can guess what happened. The slug went down in the corner of an end table, burying itself in the leg a few inches down.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, we have the end table in our basement. He made a matching pair along with a coffee table and we have our basement family room/bar setup in a retro '70's style (on the bar I have this cool ceramic ash tray with a woman's hand poking up, fingers splayed to hold a cigarette). Anyway, my daughter was 17 and had some friends over, she held up the end table and told her friends "my last boyfriend had to use this as a shield from my dad" with a sad face.

Apple didn't fall far from the tree there... she is a smart aleck through and through. I was quite proud of my little girl that night :)

Now that's funny!!!

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    Again, is this a state statute or what? There's no state statute regulating that that I'm familiar with. Most places have an ordinance against it, my city does not.
    My ex-father-in-law found that out when he discharged a Tec 9 from his porch and got arrested in the small town of Mascoutah. But that was in the communist state of IL where anything to do with firearms seems to be illegal.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I know the question has been answered, but here is the Marion County-Indianapolis ordinance:

Sec. 451-2. - Firearms generally.
    (a)  Within the police special service district, it shall be unlawful for any person to fire off, shoot at another person or otherwise use any dangerous weapon for any purpose other than in defense of his life or the life of another person, or the protection of his property or property entrusted to him by another person, or for practice at a range under the supervision and operation of a governmental entity, or without the prior written approval of the department of public safety.
    (b)  This section shall not apply to the United States Army, Navy or other armed forces, the National Guard, or to any duly constituted and authorized law enforcement and peace officer of any governmental unit, or to manufacturers and to repair facilities for testing purposes within a private range.
    (Code 1975, § 20-187)

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    18" of red oak always worked for me with .22LR and .223-5.56 but it is not sufficient for 147gr 300 blk which is a surprisingly good log splitter.

A bucket of sand sounds like a mess waiting to happen.

I can state with authority that a 5 gallon bucket of play sand will stop a .308, multiple times over. As well as .22, .223, .300 blk, .38 special, .9mm; well, you get the idea. I don’t know what five gallons of sand weighs, but I know of one bucket that is considerably heavier than that!

As to a mess, you may get some splatter of sand, especially when it dries. I recommend ether the snap on lid of the bucket or an old t-short laid over the sand. And suppressed is the ONLY way to go!

[video=youtube_share;dEngH5Od50Q]https://youtu.be/dEngH5Od50Q[/video]

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh, I’m sure. I should have shot it with a hijab and a gay pride t shirt and then they couldn’t take it down!

Hey, identifying as a woman couldn't hurt either. You could probably get away with anything in a video if you're a hijab wearing [STRIKE]man[/STRIKE] lesbian.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I can state with authority that a 5 gallon bucket of play sand will stop a .308,...

I don't doubt it. When I was a kid, dad built a bullet trap in the basement consisting of 3/8" mild steel plate set on a 45° angle over a sandbox. We only used it for .22lr but that was enough to create a lot of dust.

I didn't trust it with 22-250 so the one time I decided to fire that one, I stacked an old set of books in front of it. The blast from that seemed to knock most of the dust off of the heating ducts so that was a win.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I would like to shoot a lot more in my basement but two things stop me. One is the legality, it used to be legal here but now it isn't so it becomes a risk of losing my rights. I'm thinking some left leaning lawyer would make it out to be a terrible heinous crime and it isn't worth it. Reason two is the airborne lead pollution, mostly from the primer compounds like lead styphnate. That contributes more to the lead in the air than the bullet trap does and I really do not have enough ventilation to handle it properly..

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Many years ago, my FIL was loading his Colt frontiersman in the kitchen prior to loading up and heading out deer hunting. After all cylinders were full, he started to lower the hammer and it slipped out of his thumb. He launched a .22 WMR through the kitchen floor. MIL, SIL, and my wife all slept through it (everybody used box fans in their rooms). I was awake getting ready in the basement and was startled. Long story short, MIL got a new kitchen floor and we didn't load deer hunting sidearms in house after this event. Bullet didn't penetrate the native lumber floor deck. We were initially concerned after the event that he may have dispatched the washer or drier based on the location of the accidental discharge.

Top Bottom