• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have a close family member who was over one day 4 years ago explaining gun safety to me. While talking, he ended up putting the mag back into his G23, pointed the gun at the ground and pulled the trigger. I can tell you 2 things for certain 1) a .40 is REALLY loud inside a home and 2) no cops came busting in to haul the family member away. As a matter of fact, when we went outside to ensure the bullet hadn't made it's way out of the house, we discovered nothing out of the ordinary outside, as in no one even noticed. Luckily the bullet had bounced off the floor and into a dead space between my cabinets. That was after putting a huge gouge in the floor and a large hole in one of my cabinet doors. During the AAR, the family member swore up and down he hadn't racked the slide. He thought he was pulling the trigger on a gun without anything in the chamber. The side effect of this is that I learned a lot more about gun safety than was intended... :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Demolition Ranch built himself a make-shift back stop for inside his home. He shot his 300 win mag in his house.

As I recall, he said he ain't doing THAT again.

It's possible.
    Shotspotter is deployed in over 90 US cities, including in Indiana like in South Bend.
    One round shot outside of your house is enough to send the cops at your address.

ShotSpotter Gunshot Detection and Location Service | Protect Critical Infrastructure, Campuses, Cities

ShotSpotter.png

In theory, anyway. Field reports are, meh. In testing, gun fire from shotguns were detected 90%, all detected shots were pinpointed to ~25 ft. The system detected test shots from an MP5 only 63% of the time, of those detected 63% were pinpointed to ~25ft. In the study police officers didn't think it helped them respond any faster. Proponents said it helps pinpoint gunfire and implementing it made people feel safer. Opponents said that it's a false sense of security, gunshot reports didn't go down, arrests didn't go up.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I learned to shoot using a Remington nylon and Mark II in dad's basement. I still go over there and shoot every now and then. We've fired thousands of centerfire handgun rounds down there. Anything up to and including .357 mag could be handled by the bullet trap. .44 mag brought the dust out of the ceiling, and dented the trap pretty badly. .22 hornet required welding the hole in the trap. Then we upgraded to an AR500 plate in the trap. Now we test fire AR builds. I built a trap out of some 2x12's and old catalogs and broke in the barrel on my .308. That necessitated double hearing protection. The main thing is to have a way to contain the lead dust if you shoot more than 2 or 3 rounds.

All this was done out in the country. I have no idea if this would be possible in town.

Lwright

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As I recall, he said he ain't doing THAT again.

In theory, anyway. Field reports are, meh. In testing, gun fire from shotguns were detected 90%, all detected shots were pinpointed to ~25 ft. The system detected test shots from an MP5 only 63% of the time, of those detected 63% were pinpointed to ~25ft. In the study police officers didn't think it helped them respond any faster. Proponents said it helps pinpoint gunfire and implementing it made people feel safer. Opponents said that it's a false sense of security, gunshot reports didn't go down, arrests didn't go up.

All about the feelz.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    NOTHING is illegal, until you're caught.

About 30 years ago, I was at my father's house & used his toilet. When I came back out to the kitchen, I asked "Have you been shooting out of your bathroom window?"

"Ummmm ... why do you ask?"

"Dad ... there are two empty shell cases in the bathtub."

"Well, there were too damn many cats setting up housekeeping under the shed. So, when they were napping in the sun ..."

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    18" of red oak always worked for me with .22LR and .223-5.56 but it is not sufficient for 147gr 300 blk which is a surprisingly good log splitter.

A bucket of sand sounds like a mess waiting to happen.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    18" of red oak always worked for me with .22LR and .223-5.56 but it is not sufficient for 147gr 300 blk which is a surprisingly good log splitter.

A bucket of sand sounds like a mess waiting to happen.

There's an infamous INGO lawyer writhing in agony right now.

Top Bottom