• ...and so much more!
  • Cannondale

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Originally Posted by shadow6492
    Would be interested as well:ingo: or even a full parts lists and where to find the frame material

A good source for many of the parts needed can be found at McMaster-Carr. You can google the name or this link will take you to the catalog page which has the extruded aluminum frame material.
    McMaster-Carr

This is a really nice post

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    The Best Tumbler

This is the best tumbler design I have seen so far. Congrats on a job well done. I am looking into building one myself now as my vibratory one is actually starting to wear out.

BTW, I like my brass clean and shiny. It helps me find the empties on the ground and it has the added advantage of really getting some folks ticked off for some reason.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Great job creating such a great tremble device, in the pictures, some of the cases seem to have a dent on them, or it's just some refection from the light?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Holy crap... How much would you want to build me one of these? :).

I've been cleaning brass for two days using this smaller tumbler and was considering getting a couple more to speed things up. If the price is right and I can convince the wife, that is :).

My only concern, but I'm not an engineer, is the longevity of the tumbling container itself. I know the Thumler is metal with a rubber insert... That said, I imagine you will be able to clean a LOT of brass before having issues but if it did have an issue and you weren't watching that's a LOT of nasty water that could potentially be going everywhere.

As far as drying brass... I've gotten to where I set the oven to 250 degrees. When I take wet brass out I throw it on a cookie sheet in the oven and start another cycle of brass - by the time that next cycle is done the first cycle of brass is dry. I tend to tumble for about an hour, and dry the brass in the oven for about 45 minutes.

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    Great job creating such a great tremble device, in the pictures, some of the cases seem to have a dent on them, or it's just some refection from the light?

Some of the cases did have dents. I believe that is from ejecting from my pistol, but I could be wrong.

Updated Front page with parts list

I updated the the first post with the parts information and I'll also put it here.

Google Docs Spreadsheet of Part Numbers

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I did the same thing, 8" pipe and then I cut a 3" pipe the make three mixing paddles. I then used two part, water proof epoxy to glue these in place, reinforced this with pop rivets then used PVC glue to put ends on both ends of the 8"pipe, one was a flat end pipe and the other was a clean out, threaded end that I put the end in and this had ben used on rollers I have had for some time from my firea=works days to make bkack powder as a ball bill.

Using paddles to mix it up that aren't as curved means no dents. I get super clean brass using #7 and #6t steel shot mixed 50/50 rather than the more expensive stainless steel pins, I just store the shot under water, some f the dirty water from cleaning in fact, to keep it from rusting between loads.

Not saying this wasn't brilliant but i do think mine has given me equal if not better results. I can out up to 400 .38 spl's or, 300,.223's into each drum and I have four drum and two sets of rollers to keep it all rolling. I use 20m pounds of shot per drum and two .45 cases worth of Lemishine and a squirt if heavy duty Dawn per run then after they get completely rinsed I dip the cases in a solution of 10% Lemishine no spotting rinse then air dry so I get any spots left on the cases.

Otherwise my system ks the same as the OP.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Thats pretty sweet!!

the only question I have concerns the screws you used to hold in the agitators. Do you think with the end of the screw sticking out inside of the tumbler that it might damage some brass?

Ronniet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2013
    any information on the motor?
    what is its rpm? what is the barrel rpm. do you think it is fast or slow?
    Ron

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    Thats pretty sweet!!

the only question I have concerns the screws you used to hold in the agitators. Do you think with the end of the screw sticking out inside of the tumbler that it might damage some brass?

I didn't think the screws would be any different than the SS pins

any information on the motor?
    what is its rpm? what is the barrel rpm. do you think it is fast or slow?
    Ron

I added the motor I used to the parts list. It's a 1/3hp 1725 RPM motor.

With the pully ratio and size of tumbler barrel I'm using it turns the barrel at 74 rpm. That might be on the high side of an idea speed. I originally designed my ratio for a 8" drum but I couldn't find any cheap 8" PVC locally. A 8" drum will turn around 60 rpm I believe.

Last edited:

Ronniet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2013
    belt width?

how wide is the belt, that would also tell how wide the pulleys are?
    T5 comes in different widths.
    Thanks

Sean

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    I would like to give a big thanks to imp22b, the parts list made building one cake. I bought the PVC and parts for the container locally but sourced everything else through your list. It works great and the construction is superior to others I have seen. If anyone around Anderson is planning on building one I have some extra bolts and PVC.

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    I would like to give a big thanks to imp22b, the parts list made building one cake. I bought the PVC and parts for the container locally but sourced everything else through your list. It works great and the construction is superior to others I have seen. If anyone around Anderson is planning on building one I have some extra bolts and PVC.

Im glad you found my information useful and build one for yourself. I would like to see a pic of it when your done.

Sean

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    I've been using it for a week or so and it's been great. The only thing I did differently was on the container. I couldn't find a 6-4 reducer like you used locally, so I used a 6-6 coupler with a 6-4 bushing. The bushing is funnel shaped so it works the same. Thanks again! This is way better than the big Thumbler IMO...

2dljjv4.jpg

Ronniet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2013
    Nice work! Great Post!

I would like some more information on the pulleys before I buy any.
    Are t-5 type pulleys all the same as in if you have a 22TPI one it is the same O.D. as all 22 tpi ones?
    and how wide is the belt width that you are using?
    Actually what are the exact outside diameters of the pulleys you are using?
    and if I were to slow it down a bit which pulley would need changed and to what size? and still using the same rpm motor.
    Sorry for the questions but I have never used any timing belt pulleys.
    Ron

Top Bottom