• ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Thats pretty awesome!

I need to make one that keeps the treadmill intact so I can exercise while it tumbles........ better yet I need to make a human powered one!!!!!!!!

Mrwindow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    tehachapi
    Thats pretty awesome!

I need to make one that keeps the treadmill intact so I can exercise while it tumbles........ better yet I need to make a human powered one!!!!!!!!

Just make a PVC cage to keep the tumbler in one spot and you got it!
    I don't do treadmills! But they make great tumblers!

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    I would like some more information on the pulleys before I buy any.
    Are t-5 type pulleys all the same as in if you have a 22TPI one it is the same O.D. as all 22 tpi ones?
    and how wide is the belt width that you are using?
    Actually what are the exact outside diameters of the pulleys you are using?
    and if I were to slow it down a bit which pulley would need changed and to what size? and still using the same rpm motor.
    Sorry for the questions but I have never used any timing belt pulleys.
    Ron

- There may be differences in the O.D of pulleys with the same tooth count between different manufactures. It is best practice to find the O.D. of the pulleys you plan on using to calculate your ration. It is also possible and easier to use the ratio of teeth on one pulley vs the other but it may not be as precise.

- The belt I am using is 10mm wide (about 3/8")

- The O.D. of the 22 tooth pulley is 34.25mm
    The O.D. of the 60 tooth pulley is 94.65mm

- To slow down the motor you could change either one of the pulleys. To slow down the rotation the motor pulley needs to be larger or the roller pulley needs to be smaller. It would probably be cheaper to get a larger motor pulley. What size you need to change the pulley to depends on how slow you want it to turn. Without doing the match I think a 26 tooth pulley would get you down to 50-60 rpm.

MrElectric03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2014
    High Desert
    Big thanks for posting this, I came across it when looking for ideas for building mine. I'm making basically the same thing but my frame will be welded steel.

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    Looking but have not seen, but what is the total length of the canister?

The total length of my canister is 19".

It looks like my original video link on the first post died but here is another link.
    [video=youtube_share;iIo_NsAknyo]http://youtu.be/iIo_NsAknyo?list=UU-4GaLIcU7gBSbo_Kb-dloQ[/video]

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Looks very nice! I built a similar setup but I used a larger 6" pulley to slow it down a bit.
    You are running a lot more brass at one time than I am, but the results look the same.
    I used two 1" PVC pipes for my agitators. Maybe I need something more aggressive like yours

For drying, fold the brass up in a towel and get them most of the way dry on the outside.
    Then put them in a roasting pan or cookie sheet that has edges and bake at 150* for about 30-45 minutes.
    If you don't towel dry the outsides first, you will get wicked water spots on your pretty brass.

RichJacot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    Home
    I know this is an OLD thread but I'm hopping someone can double check/help me.

I'm building a wet tumbler and I have everything I need except the large pulley. I've used Pulley and RPM Calculator | Engineering Information - Culver Armature and Motor and I come up with the below.

1725 -- 2 -- 7 = 492.86
    492.86 -- 1 -- 6.75 = 73.02

1725 rpm motor with 2" pulley
    6" PVC which is 6.75" on the outside of the cap and reducer.
    3/4" shaft for one side and 1/2" shaft for the other (because that's what pillow blocks I had on hand).
    With the heater hose on the 3/4" shaft it's 1" OD (I'd like to drive from the 3/4" shaft).

Now to get down to the 70 rpm range it "appears" that I have to use a 7" pulley on the 3/4" shaft. This seems to be much larger than others have been using.

Can anyone confirm that I need a 7" pulley or show me the error of my ways?

Thanks!

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    My pulleys are 2" and 6" and both shafts are 3/4". I'm using the same pvc pipe and caps. I can't see the rpm on the tag, but I think it's the same also. The best I can tell it's turning around 60 rpm. Sorry it took so long to get the info.

Top Bottom