• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    That's a great story, thanks for sharing OP. Ive often thought about doing one of these kits myself as me and my brother are both adopted. However the idea of giving my DNA to a databank somewhere still has me a little on edge...
    Be sure to read the fine print in what your signing.
    Some of the testing companies get the rights to your dna from a few articles I read. I have not pursued it any farther than that for facts so take it with a grain of salt.And read the fine print for your self.

Op thats a neat discovery.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I had my Dna done and the problem with Native American Dna is they group north, central, and South American Indians all into one group. So that doesn't help at all. They can't tell one from the other yet.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Between my own (maternal) family, what I suspect on my paternal side, and what's come to light in a few different parts of my wife's family: OP - your situation isn't all that uncommon. Seriously.

All fascinating stuff, I think.

I'd like to take one of these tests - but they're kind of expensive to do just for fun. I'd like to think there may also be some long-lost half-sibling of mine in the UK somewhere that was a product of a combination of my dad's drinking ability, good looks, and single-guy-in-the-USAF status when he was stationed over there. He swears I don't have any half-siblings. I'm not so sure due to the stories I've heard. :D

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I think this happens a lot more than people think it does. I'm reminded of two teenaged boys in my hometown who became best friends and ran around together for upwards of a couple of months before realizing that they looked way too much alike. Of course, the whole town either knew or strongly suspected they were half brothers.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I did the Ancestry DNA thing and just recently uploaded my results to MyHeritage as well. It listed some new cousins that weren't at the original site. There is also a place called GEDMatch that you can upload to and get more results.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think I can safely say I am 100% Kentuckian even though I haven't lived there in 55 years. Both sides of my family lived in the same area for a long long time...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Be sure to read the fine print in what your signing.
    Some of the testing companies get the rights to your dna from a few articles I read. I have not pursued it any farther than that for facts so take it with a grain of salt.And read the fine print for your self.

Op thats a neat discovery.

Thus the reason why I haven't done it.... As the fine print on a few of the kits state that they now own your DNA...

MrsSilverlight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I'm also half Kentuckian, but you'll never get from me what part of KY they're from.

Seriously, this is an amazing life path! Don't try to push yourself to overanalyze and comprehend all the ramifications at once. Breathe in, breathe out, yea?

Do you think in the future you'll keep in contact with your new-found siblings? I have a half-brother I haven't seen since I was a young child, and although I would love to get into contact with him, I don't think it'll happen for some years until our father passes away and I can get ahold of his papers to figure out where to start looking for him.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Between my own (maternal) family, what I suspect on my paternal side, and what's come to light in a few different parts of my wife's family: OP - your situation isn't all that uncommon. Seriously.

All fascinating stuff, I think.

I'd like to take one of these tests - but they're kind of expensive to do just for fun. I'd like to think there may also be some long-lost half-sibling of mine in the UK somewhere that was a product of a combination of my dad's drinking ability, good looks, and single-guy-in-the-USAF status when he was stationed over there. He swears I don't have any half-siblings. I'm not so sure due to the stories I've heard. :D

Bill Mauldin anticipated this:

yhst-43143101804321_2228_3894617

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Her maternal grandfather was quite very mestizo, with a prominent Roman nose and European features. Rumor has it that they are descended from Spanish royalty but I think 2/3s of the Filipinos claim that. They know that there is some Chinese from the momma's side also. Her father's side is pretty backwoods Pinoy. I doubt there is anything but pure Filipino in that DNA.

Hah! Thanks for using the word "mestizo" on INGO. I rarely see it anywhere (it's what I am). I'm pretty sure I'm descended from Kentuckian "Royalty," which technically makes me a Kentuckipino. Unfortunately the DNA databases lack sufficient samples to identify Kentuckipino markers. Someday . . .

Truthfully? I am still processing the emotions in my mind. Between breakfast and lunch yesterday I found a whole set of siblings with their families that I didn't know existed. These people share blood with me and I had no belief that I would ever know. It's like a punch between the eyes.

Since I found the truth about my bio-father several years ago I have fantasized about what I would say. He's been dead for several decades but still, when I the phone was ringing on my first contact call I'm thinking, "what in the heck am I going to say."

That kind of news has to be jarring, whether it's good or bad.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It's not Pikeville is it? I spent what seemed like a year there over 2 days a few years ago. I found it a little creepy.
    I have a cousin that owns a gun store there. The big money is over in Pike County. I am from a much poorer county, Magoffin.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    I'm also half Kentuckian, but you'll never get from me what part of KY they're from.

Seriously, this is an amazing life path! Don't try to push yourself to overanalyze and comprehend all the ramifications at once. Breathe in, breathe out, yea?

Do you think in the future you'll keep in contact with your new-found siblings? I have a half-brother I haven't seen since I was a young child, and although I would love to get into contact with him, I don't think it'll happen for some years until our father passes away and I can get ahold of his papers to figure out where to start looking for him.

My grandmother was from the backhills of Kentucky so I sympathize with you. They moved to Illinois when mom was still an infant and mom grew up learning cooking Kentucky style. So guess what I ate my formative years?

I am sure we'll keep in contact. I am already Facebook friends with several of them. I told the oldest boy I didn't want to push myself on them and he said not to worry, they are fascinated by having a new brother.

RandyMarlar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Zionsville
    I did the 23 and me. Indicated that I scored in the 85th percentile for Neanderthal Traits. My wife and children said "well duh". I'm not sure how to take that.:dunno:
    R :patriot:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Ancestry DNA confirmed some things I already knew (almost 48% southeast Asian/pacific islander), but also had a few surprises in very small quantities. My siblings and I also have fewer neanderthal markers than most of the population, which explains why I have no urge to live in a cave unless it has central air conditioning.

My wife and I did the test. I came back as having more Neanderthal DNA than 47% of those tested. Big laugh everyone made fun of me, which was ok.

Couple days later wife's results come back with 97% Neanderthal DNA. I have been reminding her about this on a regular basis.

Don

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    My wife is adopted, and we connected with her biological mother and brother several years ago. We didn't locate them through a DNA search, but thought about some of the same things you are now.

We are thrilled that we've connected with them, and just know that you can take it slow. My wife knew that she was adopted at an early age, and has wonderful parents. She has a great, but different relationship with her biological mother. My advice is to not focus on who knew about what (for now), but just enjoy meeting your new relatives.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I did the 23 and me. Indicated that I scored in the 85th percentile for Neanderthal Traits. My wife and children said "well duh". I'm not sure how to take that.:dunno:
    R :patriot:

Do you enjoy those Geico commercials with the cavemen?

My wife and I did the test. I came back as having more Neanderthal DNA than 47% of those tested. Big laugh everyone made fun of me, which was ok.

Couple days later wife's results come back with 97% Neanderthal DNA. I have been reminding her about this on a regular basis.

Don

Hah! You must enjoy sleeping on the couch in the cave!

Top Bottom