• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Bill Mauldin anticipated this:

yhst-43143101804321_2228_3894617

They would not run that one in the Stars and Stripes that was in the US....Just the overseas issue....Bill Maudlin said his editors told him moms, sisters, girlfriends, and wives would be happier in the dark on that subject....

Remember guys...A Hoosier is nothing but a Kentuckian whose truck broke down on the way to Dee-Troit.....:)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Apparently my dad was somewhat of a....carouser. Yeah. That's it.

I do seriously wonder if there are some "approaching" 50year old folks in/around/from Bedford, England who just don't know who their biological fathers are.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I hope it sheds a new light on your dad (the man who raised and loved you). If you already knew he was a good man, you have a tremendous validation.

Anyone who had someone who would step up and love them, blood or no, is damn lucky. Choosing to love and raise a child and carrying through with it is probably the finest thing a person can do.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    I hope it sheds a new light on your dad (the man who raised and loved you). If you already knew he was a good man, you have a tremendous validation.

Anyone who had someone who would step up and love them, blood or no, is damn lucky. Choosing to love and raise a child and carrying through with it is probably the finest thing a person can do.

It's amazing how much wiser I grew with age. :)

Sometimes you just get wrinkles, and sometimes you gain a whole new appreciation for those who went before you. My dad had his own personal demons mostly dealing with booze, but he stood up where it really counted the most.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Be sure to read the fine print in what your signing.
    Some of the testing companies get the rights to your dna from a few articles I read. I have not pursued it any farther than that for facts so take it with a grain of salt.And read the fine print for your self.

Op thats a neat discovery.

Thus the reason why I haven't done it.... As the fine print on a few of the kits state that they now own your DNA...

How does this ownership of your DNA work? Do they get to use it to make clones/GMO humans?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    OH, you've been to Starke County and the town of Knox?
    Wave at mom on your way through..
    ;)

:laugh: I have been told many times by the locals that this is how they ended up in Knox. Or they moved here from Kentucky to work at the Kingsbury ordinance plant during the war.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    I think it will be more interesting than you expect! Phenotype (outward appearance) doesn't always track 1:1 with genotype.

If she's Filipino, almost for sure she's going to have some DNA from the Spanish (that's why I'm not 49.9%). Depending on her heritage, she might also have some east Asian (probably Chinese, which is pretty common). There might be some unexpected surprises as well! The Spanish took Filipino sailors all over the world and also brought some of them and their progeny home. If she's Filipino, but from Hawaii, you might see a lot of different things in the report!

Finally got my wife's DNA results in. The interesting thing is that it shows no European DNA even know she is positive there is significant Spanish blood in her family. Her grandfather's appearance was more than proof of that. The other oddball surprise was showing 2% from the Afghani area. That DNA must have gone back really, really far.

Here's a great article that explains how all this can happen.

Understanding Genetics

As a side note, I have met several of my new relatives and seen pics of many others. It is absolutely amazing how much I look like my bio-father and some of my siblings (and their kids). That, much more so than the DNA test, proved to them that I was really part of the family. :):

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Finally got my wife's DNA results in. The interesting thing is that it shows no European DNA even know she is positive there is significant Spanish blood in her family. Her grandfather's appearance was more than proof of that. The other oddball surprise was showing 2% from the Afghani area. That DNA must have gone back really, really far.
    Quick note on "Spanish" - while I'm surprised there are "no Euro" traces, it isn't surprising that they might be diluted with Moorish/North African roots. That might also explain the presence of "Afghan" groupings, which might have originated from North Africa/Middle East.

We haven't done my wife's yet, but one of her branches originates in Spain with significant North Africa cross-over. We won't be surprised to have something like what you hint at.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I did the Ancestry DNA and then also uploaded it to myheritage.com and it gave me some alternate results from the same test.
    First is the myheritage.com results.
    North and West Europe 96.3%

English 92.4%

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 3.9%

South Europe 3.7%

Italian 3.7%

Here are the results I got from Ancestry:Scandinavia
    36%

Great Britain
    26%

Ireland
    21%

Italy/Greece
    9%

Europe West
    7%

The Italian must be going way back to the Roman invasion of the Isles. Likewise the Scandinavian would all have to be Viking blood. Two things I was a little surprised about. The family says we have some American Indian. No mention of it in the DNA. Second, one of the lines on my Dad's side was from France. That doesn't show up either.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I sent mine in a couple of days ago......I am curious as to what I'll find...

A funny story, my postman (whom I have known for six years) picked up my package with the sample from next door (I don't often have mail going out and I wanted to get it right out)....After he picked it up he opened the shop door and said, "Hey brother...I opened her up and spit in your sample...I figured I'd shake up the family tree a bit...But don't worry...My great grandma was Irish..." and then began laughing hysterically as he got back into his mail truck...

He's black.....And obviously a very, very, very, funny guy....:)

Top Bottom