• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Which begs the question of whether or not her Spanish grandfather is actually related to her by blood. Lots of that going on through the centuries.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    When we first moved to Indiana, we lived in Knox for just over a year. I had heard rumors while I was there about the origins of the town.

I just want to clarify I am not a native of the area...we moved here about 20 years ago. :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    On the ancestry probably, but nothing on the myheritage. As different as the two are, I wonder how scientific this really is.

Assuming the samples aren't tainted and the lab crews are competent, the differences are going to be due to the databases they use. I suspect the different companies who are building their databases share 100% of the profiles and demographic info with each other. Over time as their data for comparison grows, the results should become increasingly similar.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Finally got my wife's DNA results in. The interesting thing is that it shows no European DNA even know she is positive there is significant Spanish blood in her family. Her grandfather's appearance was more than proof of that. The other oddball surprise was showing 2% from the Afghani area. That DNA must have gone back really, really far.

Here's a great article that explains how all this can happen.

Understanding Genetics

As a side note, I have met several of my new relatives and seen pics of many others. It is absolutely amazing how much I look like my bio-father and some of my siblings (and their kids). That, much more so than the DNA test, proved to them that I was really part of the family. :):

That article is very helpful. My understanding of ancestral DNA expression in siblings was flawed and that's going to help me learn more.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I just want to clarify I am not a native of the area...we moved here about 20 years ago. :):

I am not a native of Indiana either, but I have lived here for the past 30 years. Other than the little over a year in Knox the rest has been Indianapolis area.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I am not a native of Indiana either, but I have lived here for the past 30 years. Other than the little over a year in Knox the rest has been Indianapolis area.

Everybody here seems to be related to each other. I have put my foot in my mouth more than once for saying something negative about someone only to find out they are related to the person I am talking to. Oh well....I'm sure I'll do it again. Many seem to have taken up residence here during the war when the Kingsbury Ordinance plant was a busy place. Some went back to Kentucky and many stayed.

My dad's family is from Serbia and my mom's from Belgium. Her family is well documented by a cousin who still lives there. Dad's family has lots of unknowns. The DNA might be a fun way to get more info. My son hasn't had time to do much genealogy research while there or hasn't figured out where to do it. I told him to go to the churches in the area where my grandparents were born, but I'm not even sure the churches they would have been baptized in are still there.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I think it will be more interesting than you expect! Phenotype (outward appearance) doesn't always track 1:1 with genotype.

I always thought I was Irish/German, but when my mom and my brother did the DNA test, they both came out around 40 % Scandinavian. Which is a surprise, since we are mostly of short stature, with dark hair and we all tan very dark. Although I do have blue eyes, maybe that's where that came from.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Assuming the samples aren't tainted and the lab crews are competent, the differences are going to be due to the databases they use. I suspect the different companies who are building their databases share 100% of the profiles and demographic info with each other. Over time as their data for comparison grows, the results should become increasingly similar.
    It was the same test, I just uploaded the giant text file of DNA gibberish that I got from Ancestry.

That posted article does answer some things. I could still have Cherokee and Choctaw in me, but it not show up in my DNA results.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I always thought I was Irish/German, but when my mom and my brother did the DNA test, they both came out around 40 % Scandinavian. Which is a surprise, since we are mostly of short stature, with dark hair and we all tan very dark. Although I do have blue eyes, maybe that's where that came from.
    I had a lot of Scandinavian as well. In my case it has to be Viking blood in Ireland, Scotland and England because I know my bloodlines back to the 16 and 1700s. All of them came over from Ireland, England, Scotland and France.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    My Grandpa's Sister-in-law did a little bit of family history. I know Great grandpa came here from Switzerland, but his parents came from Germany. My Great grandma was the daughter of Irish immigrants. I know nothing about my mother's side of the family really, other than Grandma's parents didn't originally speak English, and one of her brothers didn't speak English originally either.

I keep thinking I should do one of these DNA things and do some research on our family tree.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I had a lot of Scandinavian as well. In my case it has to be Viking blood in Ireland, Scotland and England because I know my bloodlines back to the 16 and 1700s. All of them came over from Ireland, England, Scotland and France.

Yeah Viking blood in the British Isles....I am "blessed" with "Celtic Claw" or "Viking Hand"...

1200px-Morbus_dupuytren_fcm.jpg

9k=

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1305903/

So I know I got at least a little....I would like to think he "married" my Celtic female ancestor but I imagine their relationship was not so romantic...:)

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

Scandinavian probably equals viking and they very definitely made long term incursions into Ireland/British Isles, western Europe.

Top Bottom