• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Was just pointing out that DNR said there was a lion, not lions like the title of this thread says.

Now why would the DNR only release one cat? There has to be a breeding pair, and I bet it wasn't only one pair.

I'm still wondering how many wolves they released in Indiana. 4 were killed over a year ago in Perry county.

Mr.Guido

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Central Indiana
    There was a report in 2009 of 2 mountain lions escaping from a private owner in Clay county, and since then I have heard nothing , I am guessing they never captured them.
    This one is reported in Green county.
    As of now DNR says "protected" , and only in certain circumstances can you shoot one , if they are damaging property , or livestock , but as far as personal protection , they say the burden of proof is on us to prove we were in danger , how much proof do they want ?
    How much distance is too close for comfort ?

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    There was a report in 2009 of 2 mountain lions escaping from a private owner in Clay county, and since then I have heard nothing , I am guessing they never captured them.
    As of now DNR says "protected" , and only in certain circumstances can you shoot one , if they are damaging property , or livestock , but as far as personal protection , they say the burden of proof is on us to prove we were in danger , how much proof do they want ?
    I saw pictures of a mountain lion that was spotted somewhere between Brazil and Seelyville, but that was probably three or four years ago.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well reports from Kalifornia have indicated joggers on wilderness trails being stalked and attacked. These cats will hunt humans the way I understand it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    In 1975, a friend an I saw a black one while squirrel hunting.
    No one ever believed us but we both saw it.
    Anyone else ever see a black one?

They seem to be very timid and avoid humans.
    I think we can deal with it.
    There was video of a black one in Decatur (Adams County) about 4 years ago.

It was all over the news, and they interviewed the Adams County CO. He said that from the video it clearly wasn't a large cat... it was just a bob-cat. But he didn't give reasons details etc... just said what he said... then got put in his place when they interviewed the zoo's cat expert after him and the expert said because of the long tail, and the manner in which is bounded over obstacles it was clearly a large cat, likely from the mountain lion/panther family. :laugh::laugh:

Finally they quit denying it and realized that they can't keep it a secret forever...

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Was driving to work on hwy 3 near charlestown IN with coworker around 1980, when a black panther leaped across the hwy 50ft in front of us, later contacted dnr, had been several reports on the panther, most likely someone released it after not being able to care for it anymore.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Now why would the DNR only release one cat? There has to be a breeding pair, and I bet it wasn't only one pair.

I'm still wondering how many wolves they released in Indiana. 4 were killed over a year ago in Perry county.

I did not see where they said that it was them that released it?

Chances are someone owned it and it got loose or they set it free.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I saw one 7 or 8 days ago crossing a gravel road about dusk. It was an awsome looking animal. First time Ive seen one. They are out there.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    at first i thought oh thats cool. but now that ive thought about it more, why is it benneficial to "reitroduce" a dangerous animal that can and will kill little kids???

Because they may control the Coyote population...

The Coyote population that came to the State due to the re-introduction of Whitetail Deer to the State. Wonder what else will either come or be re-introduced to the State...

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    The law of unintended consequences...

a) Introduce a new animal (deer, because Bambi was such a nice kid movie;))

b) predatory animals move following food supply

c) animals begin to bother or eat people on game trails running or camping

d) people fight back

d) people who are not eaten go to jail for defending themselves (attacking the cute animals!)

Scenarios:

...joggers eaten by mountain lions
    ...pets missing
    ...domestic livestock eaten or injured
    ...Wolves in downtown Chicago or hit on highways
    ...Raccoons moving into vacant houses and a little kid tries to pet the nice funny lookin' dog

There are probably manner other scenarios that have happened already or could potentially happen too. IMO no matter what someone tries to do, something else always happens...

Top Bottom