• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Those OPPOSED to rifles for deer are the ones who need education and need to stop thinking so lowly of their fellow hunters as to think that everyone is a hillbilly slob in the woods.

Well there you go, telling others how to think. That's bound to work :rolleyes:. It's been proven to by this outcome.

In the mean time, each year we continue to bolster the other side's argument by not policing our own. Each year "we" still shoot each other, ourselves, houses, property, etc. This is not to mention all the other non-firearm related stuff that "we" do each year to give the impression of being less than responsible.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Well there you go, telling others how to think. That's bound to work :rolleyes:. It's been proven to by this outcome.

In the mean time, each year we continue to bolster the other side's argument by not policing our own. Each year "we" still shoot each other, ourselves, houses, property, etc. This is not to mention all the other non-firearm related stuff that "we" do each year to give the impression of being less than responsible.

Well, you guys get right on it then. I don't know of anyone in my area shooting buildings, themselves, etc., so I'm of no help in policing my peers.

This whole thing comes down to guys that are afraid that the next guy is going to shoot "their" buck. They think that rifles are going to give their "competition" a leg up and allow them to make a shot that is impossible with current firearms. I don't buy the safety BS that they spew for a second. If they are getting shot at all the time, then perhaps they'd better be doing the policing and notify a Conservation officer when it occurs. I think it's funny that the herd is shrinking -- perhaps those who have been spoiled by hunting in the last 10 years will give up and get out of the woods and leave them to those of us who don't get discouraged if we don't see 20 deer every sit. That's why it's called hunting.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...This whole thing comes down to guys that are afraid that the next guy is going to shoot "their" buck. They think that rifles are going to give their "competition" a leg up and allow them to make a shot that is impossible with current firearms. I don't buy the safety BS that they spew for a second. If they are getting shot at all the time, then perhaps they'd better be doing the policing and notify a Conservation officer when it occurs. I think it's funny that the herd is shrinking -- perhaps those who have been spoiled by hunting in the last 10 years will give up and get out of the woods and leave them to those of us who don't get discouraged if we don't see 20 deer every sit. That's why it's called hunting.

That'll win them over. This kind of talk is bound to influence the neighsayers and get you what you want. ;)

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    That'll win them over. This kind of talk is bound to influence the neighsayers and get you what you want. ;)

I gave up on winning anyone over long ago. I've learned in my 47 years that you seldom get strangers to switch sides once they have their minds made up. Sure, you might sway someone that hasn't formed an opinion, but very rarely does it happen to someone who has chosen a distinct side. I don't know about you, but I've never gotten a Democrat to turn Republican, nor have I ever got a convinced a gungrabber to give up their quest. No amount of sweet talking is going to sway someone who is opposed to high-powered rifles for deer to suddenly support them. Hell, facts certainly haven't swayed them. The anti-rifle guys are the ones spreading misinformation and smearing hunters by making the whole lot of them out to be dangerous. I actually read many of the official public comments where guys essentially said, "I'd like to hunt deer with a rifle, but I don't want my neighbors to be able to." Yeah, some real pieces of work there.

To be quite honest, I'll still go on killing big deer with my bow and muzzleloader just as I have in the past, but I would have liked to see more options available to those (including myself) who would enjoy employing them. I have no interest in a wildcat round for a 2-week season, so this proposal would have been a big plus.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Sounds like the .358 Hoosier is going to survive. I kinda thought if common rifle calibers were made legal that it would be the end of the innovative way to get around the rules.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

If modern centerfire rifles are approved:

I'll stop hunting out of concern for my safety
    Hunters and nonhunters alike will be at risk with hunters having such "firepower"
    I "think" its unnecessary, I "think" people will react poorly, I "think" land access will be decreased

NONE OF THIS IS AN ISSUE IN KENTUCKY, where topography ranges from the mountainous east to Western KY which rivals northern Indiana in flatness.

Chalk a victory up to the bowhunt mafia, and one less hunting license sold by IN DNR...I'll spend my money on a Kentucky nonresident license/tag and use whatever weapon I damn well please - I think it'll be my FrankenSPR again, cuz I read on INGO that .223s bounce off of deer...

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    There was a clue in the Administrative Law Judges report - this will be back in the next year or two with geographical restrictions..

Too late in the game to do it this time, but it will happen next time..

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    It would be nice to see the numbers for each reason, both for and against to understand how many were truly against and how many were for.

It is funny to hear the reasons for those that are against. Everyone that has mentioned why they were against, it was due to misperceptions. The biggest reason was that the bullets would travel " for miles". It was nice to see that they changed their opinion or were open to it when I was able to explain this misperception.

It would have be nice if we got together in the beginning to take out an ad in the Indy Star explaining the benefits and explaining the misperceptions to the public. INGO could have set up to take donations electronically to get the ad placed. A little too late now.

digitalmonster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    The Natural Resources Commission is scheduled to meet on May 19, 2015, at 10:00 a.m., EDT (9:00 a.m., CDT) at the Fort Harrison State Park, Garrison, Ballroom, 6002 North Post Road, Indianapolis, Indiana.

Maybe we can do something.

Top Bottom