• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    It shure would have made things nice for this year, but oh well, I'll just keep useing this. Even for semi auto, it will feed just fine as full length, shell cut down loaded standard length, and shell cut down loaded short.

And, its a classic ;)

kcjyuo.jpg

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Several years ago, the Division of Fish and Wildlife (DFW), along with conservation partners, developed an Indiana Deer management Strategy that focused deer herd reduction in a strategically targeted manner to more adequately balance ecological, recreational and economic needs of the citizens of Indiana. The primary methods used by DFW to manage the deer herd included hunting season dates, number of hunting opportunity days, bag limits and associated hunter harvest of antlerless deer, particularly those taken through county and urban deer zone (proposed deer reduction zone) antlerless quotas. The DFW believes that allowing the use of center-fire rifles would not increase deer harvest or reduce the size of the deer herd.
    The Division of Law Enforcement surveyed other states to determine whether or not center-fire rifles were allowed to be used for deer hunting and if so, if there was an increase in accidents related to hunting with a rifle verses hunting with a shotgun, muzzleloader, or handgun. No state surveyed mentioned safety as a reason to not allow the use of center-fire rifles. Most often, increased harvest was the reason cited for disallowing their use. Based on the survey from other states and hunter accident statistics with the rifles currently used in Indiana, the Division of Law Enforcement indicated that there was not a concern for safety if center-fire rifles were allowed to be used for deer hunting. Therefore, the DFW believes this to be a social issue.
    On a regular basis, the Division of Fish and Wildlife (DFW) has received public comment requesting the additional rifle cartridges be allowed for deer hunting in Indiana, and the Natural Resources Commission received two petitions requesting the use of center-fire rifles. Therefore, in response to public and legislative inquiries, DFW proposed rule amendments to the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) that would legalize additional rifle cartridge sizes and thereby allow for additional center-fire rifles to be used while deer hunting. Public Comments were received both in opposition and in support of the proposal to allow the additional rifle cartridges, including those that are considered to be high-powered.
    A Large number of Comments were in opposition to the proposal for reasons that include:
    · Public safety (particularly with the flat topography in the central and northern part of the state);
    · Potential reduced hunter access with landowners or towns/cities further restricting the use of firearms because of increased concerns about safety;
    · Amount of equipment that is already legal to use to take deer; and
    · deer over-harvest.
    Comments from supporters included:
    · these rifles are allowed in other states and therefore, should be allowed in Indiana;
    · these rifles are allowed in Indiana already for coyotes, groundhogs, and other species of animals;
    · certain parts of the state have the topography that eliminates the main safety concerns;
    · rifles are easy for youth and women to use; or
    · need to restrict magazine restrictions/have an upper size limit/allow only in certain parts of the state
    The DFW surmises that from all of the comments that while many people are interested in using these center-fire rifles, we found out that many people are not interested and strongly oppose their use. Therefore, the DFW does not recommend approval of this proposed change.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    My suggestion is to go and give input and say "if we can't have them statewide at the least let us have them in the hilly areas of the south". Foot in the door....

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Build an AR-15 pistol in a deer-legal caliber and add a Sig brace. That's the best way to thumb your nose at the detractors.

I like the way you think. I was going to built a nice AR15 in 458 with a silencer, but I might go with a pistol with silencer and sig arm brace instead. I'm thinking a 300 whisper or blackout would work fine. A 20 or 30 round magazine because I will likely have to spray a lot more without the accuracy of a full normal size center fire rifle like the rest of the country uses.

I was going to build this one, http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ranb40/media/firearms/458socom-1.jpg.html

But maybe I'll have to build this one now.

http://s225.photobucket.com/user/to... Default/20130920_113519_zps9fa0770f.jpg.html

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    The .458 SOCOM is already legal for deer in rifle form, so no need to change your plans.
    I know it's already legal, but I was hoping rather than build a center fire rifle for deer hunting, I could simply use one I already owned that I have used in other states. I was considering building a 458 socom if the state did not pass this legislation legalizing the same rifle the other 49 states use without problems, but since it seems to be going this way I might just get a 300 blackout barrel for an AR15 pistol I already own and put a sig arm brace on it. Much cheaper, and probably a lot of fun to blast with at the range. If it takes a few more rounds to bring down the deer over my normal 3006, then so be it. The 300 whisper or blackout will suppress nice too with subsonic rounds and with a 20 or 30 round magazine the deer will not know what hit them.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm hoping that the voting board actually reads the report and sees the findings. Unfortunately I'm afraid it's just an intern going, they said No, Vote no."

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Hit them in the wallet. Don't by the deer bundle, buy the archery and ML tags and let the DNR feel the crunch. Everyone knows the old "money talks, BS walks" line. If half the license buying hunters did this as a protest, the losses would be in the millions.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Emotion over reason and fact. Way to give in to senseless fear DNR. I'm with the other guy up thread, no more firearms tags bought, just bow and muzzleloader.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Emotion over reason and fact. Way to give in to senseless fear DNR. I'm with the other guy up thread, no more firearms tags bought, just bow and muzzleloader.
    I hope a lot of people don't buy gun tags for about 5 years-maybe the herd will recover!

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    Well, so much for a light recoiling rifle with good ballistics for a 9-10 year old to shoot, without developing a flinch... My 6.8 SPCII would have been perfect. Not this year. Don't know what I'm going to do, now... H&R .44mag or maybe 20ga sabot?

Mike

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I was looking for a 45 colt...darn

i was hunting with my 35 rem regardless of the outcome.

This .45 Colt has already taken three deer, although I really wish I could get a chance to do more than target shoot with my Ruger M77 .30-06 this fall.

DSCF0591.jpg

FredMcIntire

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Well, so much for a light recoiling rifle with good ballistics for a 9-10 year old to shoot, without developing a flinch... My 6.8 SPCII would have been perfect. Not this year. Don't know what I'm going to do, now... H&R .44mag or maybe 20ga sabot?

Mike

The .357 Maximum is the answer...... Its a deer hammer out to 200 yards. The most economical route to do this is to purchase a .357 Magnum Handi rifle, rent a reamer for $25, and ream it yourself to the .357 Maximum. Its literally a 5 minute operation. PM me if you need more information.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    The .357 Maximum is the answer...... Its a deer hammer out to 200 yards. The most economical route to do this is to purchase a .357 Magnum Handi rifle, rent a reamer for $25, and ream it yourself to the .357 Maximum. Its literally a 5 minute operation. PM me if you need more information.

Only problem with this idea is fact that NEF (H&R) quit making the handirifle. No new barrels or anything. Will be hard to find a 357/44.......

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    What are all the gun shops supposed to do with all the "soon to be legal rifles" they received in stock or have on order???? Prices on used 30/30's just dropped further and the handirifles in 357 and 44 going up!!!!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Nuts! I was REALLY looking forward to using my .30-06 this year! I can always just stay with the .44 lever gun, but I really wanted something with some glass on it! (Leverguns are not meant for scopes. That's just wrong.)

Top Bottom