• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jzdank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2015
    Chesterton
    Especially with shotguns, fit is the foremost important factor. That's why you see so many guys buy shotguns and sell them like brand new. They can't hit with it because it doesn't fit them properly.

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    If looks matter to to you then, yeah they do. Hi Points are still a thing, so obviously some of us don't care.

Pride of ownership is a real thing. Performance another. I think we all exist somewhere between the two.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My wife married me over 26 years ago, so I would say no to that question...

Wait, talking about guns? Oh, got distracted by shiny things... my best looking gun is a 6" blued S&W L frame 357. I put a set of cherry grips on it just to make it even prettier. And it shoots far better than I can so there is functionality there too. I grin every time I take it to the range.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've bought more than one because they were ugly. I've got enough Finn Mosins stacked up around here to equip a infantry company in conditions ranging from arsenal new to barely better than relic. I'll also be the first to admit that Mosins are not the most attractive rifle ever built. But guess which ones I like the best? It ain't the new ones, I'll tell you that!
    My favorite M39 has the stock nailed together in about 4 places; no bluing; dents, dings, and scratches galore. It also has a trigger that would put a Timney to shame, the bolt is super slick and can be opened with one finger, and it is also the most accurate iron sighted rifle I own. Oh, and it has a ghost. It is no **** haunted. Actually got a few others that are, shall we say, spirit enhanced but that is for another thread. Also got a M91 that looks like it was wrapped in barbed wire than drug behind a truck for a couple miles down a gravel road. You literally can not touch it with a fingertip without touching a scratch. Haven't shot it, I retired it as soon as I bought it, I just like the way it looks! Then there is the war time condition captured 91/30 with the Finn's name carved in it and the burnt butt. Also bought it because I liked the looks. Plenty of others, that's just a few examples. Finally, its not a Finn but a Swede Mauser. Looks like somebody used the stock to drive a piece of pipe into the ground. Thought the circular dents looked neat as hell.
    On a more modern note, all but one of my hunting guns wear plain ol ugly synthetic stocks. Briars, dropped on a rock, drug across a fence, pffht, who cares. The one that is wood gets wrapped in about 3 thicknesses of vet wrap before going into the woods. One other modern gun that need mentioned. My P22. Puke green colored frame. I giggle every time I look at it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've bought more than one because they were ugly. I've got enough Finn Mosins stacked up around here to equip a infantry company in conditions ranging from arsenal new to barely better than relic. I'll also be the first to admit that Mosins are not the most attractive rifle ever built. But guess which ones I like the best? It ain't the new ones, I'll tell you that!
    My favorite M39 has the stock nailed together in about 4 places; no bluing; dents, dings, and scratches galore. It also has a trigger that would put a Timney to shame, the bolt is super slick and can be opened with one finger, and it is also the most accurate iron sighted rifle I own. Oh, and it has a ghost. It is no **** haunted. Actually got a few others that are, shall we say, spirit enhanced but that is for another thread. Also got a M91 that looks like it was wrapped in barbed wire than drug behind a truck for a couple miles down a gravel road. You literally can not touch it with a fingertip without touching a scratch. Haven't shot it, I retired it as soon as I bought it, I just like the way it looks! Then there is the war time condition captured 91/30 with the Finn's name carved in it and the burnt butt. Also bought it because I liked the looks. Plenty of others, that's just a few examples. Finally, its not a Finn but a Swede Mauser. Looks like somebody used the stock to drive a piece of pipe into the ground. Thought the circular dents looked neat as hell.
    On a more modern note, all but one of my hunting guns wear plain ol ugly synthetic stocks. Briars, dropped on a rock, drug across a fence, pffht, who cares. The one that is wood gets wrapped in about 3 thicknesses of vet wrap before going into the woods. One other modern gun that need mentioned. My P22. Puke green colored frame. I giggle every time I look at it.
    Dude, you only rent the ugly ones so you can pay them to leave.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Looks matter. As a young man I enrolled in an expensive dating/match making service. Lots of testing involved. I flunked the important question. They asked how important looks were. I tried to take what I thought was the high ground. I went out with some of the best friends a man could meet. The spark of aesthetics was missing. Later in life I only asked a girl out if I thought she was beautiful. I got turned down at the same rate as when I asked out party girls. I had three fiancees on the way to marriage. All had been cheerleaders in High School. I have been with my wife for over 25 years now. She is still drop dead georgious and can't do a thing about it. She will not look at a gun for purchase if it doesn't first look good to her. Life is too short to be carrying an ugly gun when there are weapons that check all the boxes. The most remarkable feature for me is "cute". I relate it to fun. But, I get over cute and look at the aesthetics that will remain timeless to me. Novelty is a set of mag wheels that become dated. In the end they detract from a cars beauty. When function and form are both great, when a man is honest with himself, looks matter.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looks/aesthetics/Ergos matter. A gun has to have a certain appeal or I gloss it over. No way on this earth I will own a Hi-Point. Why when there are so many far more handsome offerings out there.
    1911's and "Some" CZ's with a solid mention for S&W stainless wheelers.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    At some point looks have mattered to us all

If looks didn't matter you wouldn't see anything tacticool.
    "Match" wouldn't be stamped on every barrel.
    Old muscle cars wouldn't have chrome or pin stripes.
    1911 grips would all look the same.
    INGO wouldn't have a 400 plus page Hot Chicks Fishing Thread.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Why not have it all looks and function and get a 1911

looks are in the eye of the beholder. All guns are beautiful.

well... maybe not all..*cough hi-point cough*

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm after reliability, and accuracy. Looks are maybe 3rd place if that.
    Coming to this forum has brought my attention to CZ and Dan Wesson. I must procure me a few.

TacOpsGuy320

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Greenfield
    This is kinda scary....I'd hope if your deciding to own a gun you would care about things other than looks. I mean if a bad guy is in your home at 2am who TF cares if your gun is "pretty".

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Looks mattered to men first, with engraved bbq guns in fine tooled holsters. Guys still pay big money for custom and/or classic wood grips. Don't forget those very expensive long guns that were/ are intricately engraved. Hunting scenes on the receivers of shotguns seem to still sell. How about all those choices of things one can find on the ejection covers of AR-15's. All those accessories hung on AR-15's aren't necessarily there because they are functional, but because they are tacticool (tough looking). Women do seem drawn to guns that have a feminine touch, at least in my experience. That's not surprising as guns have been made to please males forever. Hopefully most folks take it a step further and actually learn how to use them properly and effectively.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Was at a local shop last week and a man and woman were in there looking at handguns for her....she would hold one and then hold it out at arms length and comment on the appearance of the pistol...This ones ugly, this one is pretty etc... her man was also commenting on them strictly by their looks...Little to no mention or discussion regarding caliber, brand, reliability etc....It was all about the cosmetics...I just shook my head at the comments..

Now I know everyone likes a nice looking firearm, but to make your decision to purchase and carry based solely on what it looks like is crazy to me....does anyone actually do that????

We are in kind of a bubble of "like minded" persons on this board and it is easy to believe WE represent the gun community. In reality, the vast majority of gun owners don't have the same concept of gun ownership that we see here. They buy for aesthetic reasons, they don't practice with them, and they don't vote based on owning them. Most people are "sheep", some sheep like guns.

Top Bottom