Do you believe in other life in the Universe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Of course their is. And that "life" whatever it may be, has already shown to be intelligent, by NOT contacting us. You gotta think if earth was a house in a nice neighborhood, it would be the one that always gets the law called on it every 4th of july party, heh. :rockwoot:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    With the Hubble Space Telescope finding several billion galaxies, and not yet anywhere near mapping the whole sky, and several billion stars in each galaxy, to think we are the only planet in existence that has life on it shows too much of an ego problem. ;)

Call me crazy but I don't think mass or matter creates life :dunno:

i think space exists to show us how tiny and inconsequential we are in the whole universe but even so are immensely special to God.

And despite the tiny little fraction of the universe we inhabit some of us still think we are Death Stars that can kill a planet :rofl:

final point is that we are to have no other God before Him, not that He shall have no other people besides us. Maybe another group of beings exists with souls. Maybe not. Doesn't matter to me.

But it seems to me the moon would have the best chance for evidence of life and we found squat.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    latest

With the number of (potential) Earth-like planets, the odds continue to increase. Add in the chance for life in more extreme environments, and the odds are pretty darned good. It would not surprise me one bit if we found some simple life on Io or Europa when we finally get beneath their surfaces.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I pretty much figure we're not alone in the Universe.
    Lots of unexplained stuff going around everywhere.
    Besides I want to believe that somewhere some alien is drinking coffee, taking a dump, and reading the morning tablet.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It'd be silly to think otherwise.

[video=youtube;sNhhvQGsMEc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNhhvQGsMEc[/video]
    [video=youtube;1fQkVqno-uI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fQkVqno-uI[/video]

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Pretty vast place out beyond lunar orbit. It would be odd to think we were alone in all of this.

Agreed... just seems reasonable, really no matter how you think life came about.

If you think there is a creator, maybe we are just one test tube... if you think evolution is the key, certainly those circumstances happened elsewhere.

Just going with the odds on this one.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Pretty vast place out beyond lunar orbit. It would be odd to think we were alone in all of this.

We're not alone - there's a Creator. :D

I had this conservation with a devout atheist during a long car ride. He was flabbergasted that I didn't believe other life existed off of earth.

The issue was our worldviews - mine, being monotheistic, his being atheistic. As an atheist, he believes that life is created through a random process, therefore the logical conclusion is that there is other life. As a theist, I believe that life was created through a specialized external intervention, therefore other life probably doesn't exist.

I say "probably" because I don't see any theological reasoning for other life, but I also don't see any specific exclusion of it.

FTR, I don't hold to the six day creation theory.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Agreed... just seems reasonable, really no matter how you think life came about.

If you think there is a creator, maybe we are just one test tube... if you think evolution is the key, certainly those circumstances happened elsewhere.

Just going with the odds on this one.

Test tube?!

That sounds like a very naturalist/deist view. Biblical theology would lead us to believe we are more important to the creator than the product of one of many laboratory tests. Would a scientist send his own son to die to lab sample in test tube #12F alive?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Maybe aliens have their own "Prime Directive" not to interfere with humans or events on earth so we'll NOT have the physical proof needed for some to attach their self to.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think the answer to the OP question involves a separate question: was life on earth inevitable?

"Life" - even the most basic form, was the result of billions and billions of "chances." With enough time, all of the permutations are possible, but not inevitable.

I don't think "life" was inevitable in an evolutionary sense. So, I admit the possibility of "life" elsewhere in the universe - it is a big universe. But, I also acknowledge that it is not inevitable that life exists elsewhere.

Top Bottom