Do you believe in other life in the Universe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Well keep in mind I'm just a couple of years younger than Church....He always ribbed me when we were kids that I didn't actually get to hear the Big Bang like he did...:)

Not sure exactly BUT... I think there's only a few months between me and the mouse age wise. We discussed it before but I'm old enough to have forgotten exactly what the difference is.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    Just wondered how many here believe there is life beyond Earth.

this is a scientific question and using the word "believe" is an indication of the matter being perceived as a religious one.

if then this is a scientific question, belief is irrelevant. proof is all that matters and so far there is no proof.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    this is a scientific question and using the word "believe" is an indication of the matter being perceived as a religious one.

if then this is a scientific question, belief is irrelevant. proof is all that matters and so far there is no proof.

Substitute any terminology that makes you happy. It ain't "Science" ya know.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

I'll pick this nit. :)

Every hypothesis is a belief, restated in measurable terms.

For example, Newton's Gravitational Constant has been found, in deep space, to be not-so-constant. So, there is a "belief" that it is constant, with evidence supporting the assertion that it isn't.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Is the speed of light consistent throughout the Universe or do we just believe it to be so based on faith?????

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Test tube?!

That sounds like a very naturalist/deist view. Biblical theology would lead us to believe we are more important to the creator than the product of one of many laboratory tests. Would a scientist send his own son to die to lab sample in test tube #12F alive?

You assume that "we" are only on earth... maybe "we" is spread further than one test tube... maybe his son made multiple stops, or maybe we were the only experiment that needed a little help...

also, I think the question was life. Do you believe plants are included in that theology, or other possible life forms... I don't think the discussion was about just beings such as humans. Is algae included for example.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You assume that "we" are only on earth... maybe "we" is spread further than one test tube... maybe his son made multiple stops, or maybe we were the only experiment that needed a little help...

also, I think the question was life. Do you believe plants are included in that theology, or other possible life forms... I don't think the discussion was about just beings such as humans. Is algae included for example.

My worldview encompasses everything - biology (of all life), morality, ethics, theology, psychology, etc.

The concept of an "experiment" points to god that has an impartial and distant attitude to his creation - this is quite contrary to Biblical Christianity.

As to algae on Mars... perhaps, but I doubt it. I'll hold to the view that life is unique to Earth until proven otherwise.

Top Bottom