Do you carry an extra magazine (or speedloader for revolver)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry an extra magazine or rounds with you?

• Total voters

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I carry a full 14 rounds in my Glock 23. I do download the spare mag to 12 rounds. Two reasons, 1) the mag with 13 rounds is hard to seat and 2) it gives me a place to put my plus one in the rare event that I have to unload the gun.

That's not a bad idea. It beats the usual method of pocketing the spare round, only to find it in the laundry a couple of days later.
    Poll is invalid. No Bacon. :bacondance:

I do not carry an extra mag. I have bigger problems if I can't get the job done in 8 shots. I'm sure I'll catch flack for that statement, so *Flame suit on*
    What is right for you may be wrong for me, but that does not mean its necessarily wrong for you in my eyes. To each, their own so no need for the flame suit.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I might end up dead but I am darn sure going to look good doing it. Right now I switch between a full size 1911 OWB and Glock IWB for when I need to be more discreet. No more now that I invested in a smaller 1911.

Edit: maybe I should get one of those junk carry rigs for the glock?

You'll still never look quite as good as you'd look carrying a HiPower.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I just got a P238 and an extra mag for it. Being a small gun it only holds 6+1. As soon as I get some rounds through it and start carrying it, I will always have the spare with a +1 extension in a pocket. The chances of getting into an extended shoot-out while out getting groceries is probably slim, but for as small as the extra mag is I can't understand why you wouldn't bring it along.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You'll still never look quite as good as you'd look carrying a HiPower.

My old Hi Power was a great carry gun! I have my new SW1911PC in a MTAC right now, and it already feels like an old friend. Very light with the scandium frame and 45 acp because we all know 9mm is not big enough. Ha! I can't wait to run the gun do that I know its ready for carry it outside the home. I might carry it to big woods next weekend. I figure that will be the safest place in IN and OK to tote an untested handgun.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    M&P Shield 8+1 with one or two spare mags, depending on what I feel like at the time. When I carry my M&P9 full size I carry 17+1 and a spare 17 round mag. In both cases I carry my mags in Henry Holsters Kydex mag carriers.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    My old Hi Power was a great carry gun! I have my new SW1911PC in a MTAC right now, and it already feels like an old friend. Very light with the scandium frame and 45 acp because we all know 9mm is not big enough. Ha! I can't wait to run the gun do that I know its ready for carry it outside the home. I might carry it to big woods next weekend. I figure that will be the safest place in IN and OK to tote an untested handgun.

It's looking like I'll have my Silver Chrome HiPower next weekend. The one I got from you is still at Allen M's. It's been horribly hard to get sights. Places say they have them then they never ship and you finally find out they're on backorder.

I'm now waiting on a set of Trijicons.

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    Thanks for the responses. I think I was basically wanting to justify the use of carrying an extra magazine for myself.

I'm in the process of swapping my carry piece from my 4566 (8+1) to a smaller, lighter, lower caliber and lower capacity Kahr (6+1). I'm beginning to carry the Kahr now, and I just got 3 extra factory magazines in the mail today. (Two of the 7 rounders, one extra 6 rounder).

I guess I'll keep a 7 rounder in my coat pocket. I don't have a mag pouch or anything so for now I'll just keep an extra magazine in my coat.

My EDC is a Kahr PM9 with one additional - seven round magazine carried in a Gerber mulit-tool pouch on my belt (weak side). Even with close scrutiny it simply looks like I'm carrying a standard multi-too.

If I truly thought I was in a high risk situation; I would carry my 40 cal with 2 extra 16 round magazines.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I carry an extra mag for any semi auto I carry. If 2 guns that use the same mag, I'll carry one extra mag, if they use different mags, 1 extra for each. Speed Strips for any revolver, too. I've never heard anyone say, "Boy, I sure wish I didn't have all this ammo!" after being involved in a shooting.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Generally carry 2 extra 8 rounders for my 1911, which gives me 24 shots. Hopefully that would be enough to take care of most problems....

Top Bottom