• Do you own your own shooting range?

• Total voters

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    My property is just over 1,000 yards deep. I can shoot at any distance to my hearts content. Good back stop at the far end.

Most of my shooting is done on my 100 yard range that goes along side my woods about 30 yards from my barn. Big dirt back stop. That is where the kids and I shoot 99% of the time. Nothing fancy, just some 4x4 posts in the ground and chicken wire stretched between them to clip targets to.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I have a fairly simple set up with approx 1000 yards and a woods behind the targets before coming close to anything valuable. Basically I have 0 - 135 yards between me and the targets for shooting purposes.

schoolmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Mine is back in the middle of a section by a pond. Have a big shade tree, my own homemade bench and 25, 50, 75 and 100 yard backstops of bull dozed up dirt piles along the edge of my woods. The closest house is 500 yards away. Have a shooting house on another part of the property that allows longer range shooting out to 275 yards.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Mine is back in the middle of a section by a pond. Have a big shade tree, my own homemade bench and 25, 50, 75 and 100 yard backstops of bull dozed up dirt piles along the edge of my woods. The closest house is 500 yards away. Have a shooting house on another part of the property that allows longer range shooting out to 275 yards.

Nice. :yesway:

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I voted 'yes'. While I have 'anytime' access to a gun club indoor range and two gun club outdoor ranges all within 20 to 30 minutes from my home, I also have 38 acres of rolling hills and hollows where I can (and do) shoot any blankety-blank thing I want to shoot whenever I wish (also about 30 minutes away). The neighbors snicker a little at times, but so what? F'em, it's my property.

Last edited:

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    Im looking to move into the country so i can have a place to shoot. until then i will keep goin to roush range in huntington.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I have an informal 0 to 100 yard range. I use it for rifle, pistol and shotgun. The backstop is a hill and a pile of tires. I have a nice concrete pad to shoot from. I also have set up a 150-175 yard range, but my firing line is up by my neighbors house so I don't use it much.

There is a spot for a 200 yard line, but until I build a backstop, I won't use it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    22 acres can shoot from 10ft out to 150y now and when i get my house done will be able to get out to 250y....2 miles down the road can go shoot to 1000y +....i haven't been to a public ranger in over 20 years...

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    There is a spot for a 200 yard line, but until I build a backstop, I won't use it.

Good advice! Shoot a few tracers at targets on the ground and watch them skip and scatter. I built a berm last year after catching a patch of grass on file a half a mile away.
    In process now building a big berm at another farm for up to 500 yard shooting.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Got a nice ravine that serves two purposes! Great backdrop and good sound absorption so I don't scare the neighbors.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I wouldnt really call it a range. But I shoot at my parents out in the country. Back yard is miles of fields. and I shoot into an old tree stump as a background. I cant shoot the larger rifles there though because the neighbors houses on the left and right are fairly close. The row of large pine trees and being behind the barn does muffle the sound quite well though. Dang...I miss the country, need to move there.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Well, our muzzleloading club has a 25.50 &100 yd range we can use about anytime where my blackpowder needs are met. But most of the time whether BP or modern I go over to our small farm in Jennings Co.I have a camper there in a small grove of trees and can shoot out to 100yds there. When the corn and beans are out I can go out to about any distance I want.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    I have my own but it is not nearly as cool as some of the ones I have seen posted here. I can shoot at about 95 yards. I used to be able to shoot beyond a hundred, but I built a barn.

Mine is made of eight loads of dirt that I got from the county when they were doing some work down the road from me. After a couple hours on the tractor, it became a pretty good backstop.
    And they were tickled when I asked what they were doing with the dirt they were hauling off, because they were taking it 6 miles to get rid of it and my place was less than a mile away.

Top Bottom