• Do you own your own shooting range?

• Total voters

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I have a backstop that can be used out to 100 yds. I can also go out to 1000 yds if I wanted to. I used power/telephone poles that the local company was changing out. They were free and allowed me to bury them 3' in the ground two poles deep. They stick out of the ground 6' and have dirt piled in front. The best thing is the back side is straight up so no wasted dirt.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    lovemywoods and I have been fortunate enough to build several ranges on his property in Brown County. Although we certainly enjoy shooting on the ranges ourselves, we really enjoy sharing it with others, and have many times thanks to INGO!

There was another similar thread about private ranges here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/98220-your_backyard_range.html

And this was my post from that thread (modified to include new info):

That is sick!! Very very nice :) Someday I will get out of the burbs again and have my own several acres to shoot and hunt on again. Having grown up on a farm and such the burb life is about to kill me....... Thankfully my Dad has about 90 acres an hour northwest of my that I can shoot, hunt and even catch smallies on.

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I am currently in the market for some land that i can near indianapolis. Although im having trouble with knowing the legalities of shooting on my own property

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I am currently in the market for some land that i can near indianapolis. Although im having trouble with knowing the legalities of shooting on my own property

You are really going to struggle within Marion county, unless you plan on doing a lot of work and maybe not even then. Outside of the loop, you'll want to probably stay out of the towns/cities, as they will have have their own ordinances (and the vast majority if not all will not be friendly).

You might want to try looking south a bit, like Martinsville/Mooresville areas (but outside the town limits). There are lot of hills and gulleys and they make having a safe shooting range way way easier, if you can utilize natural berms and arrange to be shooting downhill.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If you come as far south as i am, anything goes! Just up the river from me is a shooting range contracted out to the Navy. M82A1's are about as small as they shoot there. It can sound like a redneck revolution a couple times a year...

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    If you come as far south as i am, anything goes! Just up the river from me is a shooting range contracted out to the Navy. M82A1's are about as small as they shoot there. It can sound like a redneck revolution a couple times a year...

Same around here around the 4th. We went to a gathering where they fired off a civil war cannon. I am told it was incredibly loud, I could feel it when it Set off. It was something to see as the make shift ammo hit the side of the mountain.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Years ago I built (assembled) a cheap AR15 and gave it to my younger brother.
    Two weeks later he called to tell me he had installed a 50 yard range in his front yard, and I had unlimited access.

This February we became owners of 50 wooded acres.
    With more clearing than I would care to do, we could get 300 yards across the width of the property, and roughly 900 yards lengthwise.
    Right now we're concentrated on hunting deer.
    Ranges will come later.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    In Texas I had a wheeled bench and a backstop across the pasture.

Here, not yet.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    My wife and I own 28 acres with several places we can get out a few hundred yards. Its also very nice that my employer has a lane we shoot on that strecthes to 675 yards. its less than 2 miles from our small farm. hancock co area.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I made a shooters bench out of an old "carry all" behind my tractor. It is made for both right and left hand shooters. Hook it up to my 3pt and off I go. My front field is a natural shooters range for up to 200 yards while sitting in the shade. My shade tree is about dead (ash) so I might have to endure some sun soon. The back field will go out to 350 yards. Down south in the un-glaciated counties berms and backing isn't the problem, it is finding the flat.

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    You are really going to struggle within Marion county, unless you plan on doing a lot of work and maybe not even then. Outside of the loop, you'll want to probably stay out of the towns/cities, as they will have have their own ordinances (and the vast majority if not all will not be friendly).

You might want to try looking south a bit, like Martinsville/Mooresville areas (but outside the town limits). There are lot of hills and gulleys and they make having a safe shooting range way way easier, if you can utilize natural berms and arrange to be shooting downhill.

due to where my girlfriend and i work near as possible to indy is a must. (she works in brownsburg i work in near northeast side of indy stones throw from the state fairgrounds)
    ive been trying to look through ordinances and such but have no idea where to start and what info i have found has nothing to do with my questions. Is there a website or database i can type an address into to see what there firearms ordinances are?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    due to where my girlfriend and i work near as possible to indy is a must. (she works in brownsburg i work in near northeast side of indy stones throw from the state fairgrounds)
    ive been trying to look through ordinances and such but have no idea where to start and what info i have found has nothing to do with my questions. Is there a website or database i can type an address into to see what there firearms ordinances are?

Here's the ordinances, but it's kind of a mess:

https://library.municode.com/in/indianapolis_-_marion_county/codes/code_of_ordinances

I couldn't find one specific to maintaining private ranges, though some of the language about firearms might be construed as to completely disallow discharge except in self defense.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You could contact one of the attorneys on the board that specialize in firearms law (like Guy Relford). They might be able to help you navigate what is and isn't permissible in general (though of course, that's not going to be free since legal advice is their actual job).

You could also see if you can find a contact in IMPD to ask them, since they'd be the ones responding to any calls from cranky neighbors.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Just for information, I live in the southeast corner of Marion county, AKA, Franklin Township. I've lived in two different houses down here since 1991. I've had a range at both houses, and have never had an issue.

About 10 years ago, Angela Mansfield D, from the City County Council attempted to pass an ordinance that would have prohibited firing any kind of projectile within Marion County. It would have prohibited hunting or any shooting within the county. It was soundly defeated, and the DNR even came out against it.

The general accepted rule for shooting/hunting, is outside of 465.

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Just for information, I live in the southeast corner of Marion county, AKA, Franklin Township. I've lived in two different houses down here since 1991. I've had a range at both houses, and have never had an issue.

About 10 years ago, Angela Mansfield D, from the City County Council attempted to pass an ordinance that would have prohibited firing any kind of projectile within Marion County. It would have prohibited hunting or any shooting within the county. It was soundly defeated, and the DNR even came out against it.

The general accepted rule for shooting/hunting, is outside of 465.

ok i will talk with my speedway police buddy see if he can help me out or has a friend who can... I am looking at a house with 3 acres literally backed up against 465 on the outside of the loop in decatur township. hopefully ill be able to (FINGERS CROSSED)

Top Bottom