• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I'm not talking "clip" vs "magazine" or the like, I'm talking about words that on their face just annoy the crap out of you.

For me, one of those words is "artisan" or any of its derivatives. I loathe hearing or seeing that word. To me, its perhaps the most annoying word in the world.

Maybe you you should get a hobby

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I hate how all the younger set call everything “perfect.”

You order a side with you entree and the waitress responds with “perfect”

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My favorite word to hate is "probably". So many people have no idea that there are 2 "B"s in the word, and my favorite destruction is "prolly" --- REALLY!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The word Decimate (reduce by 10%) when they really mean Obliterate (destroy totally).

That and:
    iu

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    The improper use of an apostrophe....:xmad:

"Guitar Lesson's", "Yard Sale's" for example.

"Ya" or "Yup".
    Is "Yes" that difficult?

Anyone that says the letters "O-M-G"...

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    LOL,""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The improper use of an apostrophe....:xmad:

"Guitar Lesson's", "Yard Sale's" for example.

"Ya" or "Yup".
    Is "Yes" that difficult?

Anyone that says the letters "O-M-G"...

Hey, I am a west side redneck Hoosier raised by depression farmers so "Yup" and Ya-All are just part of my vocabulary . So.....:p

:):

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I strongly dislike (trying not to hate) "no problem" as a response to "thank you". What happened to "you're welcome"? Hell, what happened to "thank you"?

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    We had the mentor kids for a week over summer vacation a few years back and one of the parents called my wife and asked "Who is this and what happened to my kid?"

They went home saying, "Please" & "Thank You", helped with dishes without complaining, etc and the mother couldn't believe they were the same kids!
    They actually picked it up with little prompting since my wife & I do it all the time,
    Although funny, I wondered what it was like for them at home if they picked it up from just hearing it used regularly...

When I could tolerate the extra work, it was like a working summer camp, everyone did everything, cooking, cleaning, working in the shop or garden, we also have a lake, so swimming, fishing, paddle boats, cook outs, camp fires...

Once asked to help with 'Chores' (and no TV/video games) they pitched right in.
    My wife would put on 'Old' (sing along) music and get them singing and it was entertainment for them.

Kind of funny to see the 'Gangsta Crap' generation singing "Daydream Believer" at the top of their lungs!

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    On parallel thought I despise the reduction in standards we seem to be moving toward. We seem to be moving, as a culture, toward dumbing down and failing to maintain our standards of literacy and erudite thinking.

For example, earlier this week I saw an advertising poster outside of a gas station that said they sold "sammiches." It isn't a "sammich" it is as "SANDWICH!" Or how about butchering our national name from "America" to " 'Merica."

Words need to have meaning, without which we cannot communicate. When we talk about a complex topic or idea we must be able to be exact in our meaning to understand each other. Without this ability our failure to communicate can become an impediment to productive problem solving. Even the use of the words "liberal" or "conservative" have very different meanings depending today upon who is using them and in what context, and yet they shouldn't. Most of us should be able to understand a "liberal" position without having to define it, and yet now we must so as to avoid confusion.

I do acknowledge that words will change meaning over time, but it does seem that we are becoming less disciplined in our definition of words.

Regards,

Doug

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    That's what happens when schools switch from education, first reading, writing & math, then skills like home economics & shop classes, even music,
    To sports, bullying & teen pregnancy...

School isn't an education, it's a warehouse during working hours with little or no supervision,
    And the adults in the areas don't care about anything but getting rid of the kids for 8-10 hours,
    And how many ball games the school wins.

I've spoken to, and tried to decipher the job applications from highschool graduates.
    They ARE NOT learning anything useful for the manufacturing job market, that's for sure and for certain!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom