Do you tell friends that you are carrying before you enter their home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Its funny, this time of year you all assume you are only going to be guests in the homes of good friends or family.

A question was asked, I answered. I gave my opinion. You don't like it that's fine with me. The first time I go to someone's house I ask. If granted permission after that it is a given I can carry there. If denied then I decide whether I go or lock it up.

Guess none of you ever make new friends.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    ... If you are legally able to own and carry a firearm most businesses and most private individuals will ask you to leave, if you don't they will threaten a trespass cite and that gets most people moving...

So your telling me that you've been requested to leave the premises and you have refused till they threaten with trespassing? No offense, but you just destroyed you own credibility if that's true.

Let me ask you this, would you have a problem with someone carrying in your home?:draw:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I see, you aren't going to ask, but if you get outed the host is wrong for asking you to remove the firearm or leave.
    <the rest of the strawman deleted>

Nope, didn't say that. At all. The host would be wrong for castigating me for it. A good host would be pleasant about it and give the guest the opportunity to comply with the host's request in such a way as to not make the guest feel uncomfortable for inadvertently violating a house rule. Again, that's basic good manners.

Do you see a difference between:

"Oh my god, you have a gun, get that out of my house right now!"

And:

"Oh, I didn't realize you have a gun on you, I'm afraid that makes us very comfortable and we don't like to have them in our house, would you mind taking it out to your car?"

Because it gets back to that host-guest relationship you seem to care so little about.

Palarran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    To the OP, you were wanting everyone to confirm your beliefs on this scenario, you didn't expect a dissenting opinion and got defensive when you got one. Your company rules have nothing to do with someone's personal property. Your company can't override a property owners rights.
    I'm the OP, and this is the first reply I've made to this thread. I had no preconceived notions, that is why I asked the question.

"Oh, I didn't realize you have a gun on you, I'm afraid that makes us very comfortable and we don't like to have them in our house, would you mind taking it out to your car?"
    This is the response I would expect from him if he didn't approve. I will say that I would be shocked if he was philosophically opposed to people being armed, but that I don't know what his personal feelings regarding firearms within his own home are.

A point I'd like to make is that I live in the city, and most law abiding citizens are unarmed. I am certainly not willing to throw our friendship away just because I have now chosen to be armed, and he happens to be uncomfortable with that inside his house.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My opinion?

Everyone that worries about carrying a gun into someone else's house is just as guilty of turning guns into villians. How many of you pull the homeowner to the side to let them know you are carrying a pocket knife? Car keys? Pen? Anyone of these items can be used as a weapon, yet no one thinks twice about respecting the homeowner. Throw a gun in the mix? :runaway:
    To me, it seems a bit hypocritical.

I've run into this issue one time. "You have a gun!" Me:" yep, I have a cell phone too." I then went on to explain that there has never been a time that they have seen me without a gun, and, if they thought it was an issue, I would be happy to leave and they were welcome to come visit me.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Honestly, I can't think of any of my friends that aren't gun owners but I do believe in respecting someone's home and their wishes. I'd leave it in the car or not go to their house if I didn't feel safe.

If your buddy's wife has issue with it, I'd talk to her about it and try to help her understand why the 2A is important. If she's not buying what you're selling, I'd evaluate how important carrying 24/7 is versus hanging with your buddy.

Good luck to ya.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    businesses who's PRIMARY product is serving/selling alcohol, ie, Bars.

BUT he MUST CLEARLY MARK HIS BUILDING AS A GUN FREE ZONE WITH AN APPROVED SIGN AT LEAST 6" IN DIAMETER

Pete, I cut your post down a bit because I wanted to ask you about these 2 things.

Their is nothing in the IC about carrying at bars or about this sign that I can find:dunno:

Where did you find this info?

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Pete, I cut your post down a bit because I wanted to ask you about these 2 things.

Their is nothing in the IC about carrying at bars or about this sign that I can find:dunno:

Maybe Texas?

SJ is right, there is no law about carrying in bars or places that serve alcohol. Ive also never seen anything about a sign.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    It bothers me when friends who do not carry come over. Maybe I should get a safe to keep by the door so that I can arm my guests?

Buckaroo

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    It bothers me when friends who do not carry come over. Maybe I should get a safe to keep by the door so that I can arm my guests?

Buckaroo

Dude, if you came to my house unarmed without asking permission first, I'd be mortally offended. I'd hope you ask permission before you entered my home unarmed. The gall of some people!

Something tells me that wouldn't be an issue, though. :D

Palarran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Everyone that worries about carrying a gun into someone else's house is just as guilty of turning guns into villians. How many of you pull the homeowner to the side to let them know you are carrying a pocket knife? Car keys? Pen? Anyone of these items can be used as a weapon, yet no one thinks twice about respecting the homeowner. Throw a gun in the mix? :runaway:
    In an ideal world, this would be true. But the reality is that many in our society view guns as "those things that kill people," rather than "tools that good people use to protect themselves and others, and that bad people use to hurt others." Since this is the case, I think we need to face this square on, much as we face the reality of the need to defend ourselves. Simply put, there can be a stigma associated with guns, and I'm not willing to cut myself off from those with whom I've developed relationships that happen to not like them; I only bought my first 22 this fall. Therefore at times I'm going to have to be cognizant of what others think. Most of the time this will mean concealing, but I'll address what I've decided to do about the situation I asked about below.

Palarran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies. Thank you too to all who weren't exactly thoughtful, but were funny.:)

I have decided that I am going to tell my friend that I am armed, even though I have also decided that most often when I go to another's house I will not disclose this to them. People above have given good arguments as to why disclosure is not usually warranted, with some good counterarguments presented too.

I feel that there are a couple reasons for me to make this an exception to the rule. He is a good friend whom I respect, and also I will be regularly in his home for extended periods-not just once or twice. I haven't carried in the past, so it will be a change in my behavior. I feel he deserves to know, and let me know if he's comfortable with it or not.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN

The question of bars falls under the universaly prohibited carry locations: post offices, law enforcement offices, schools, day cares, retail locations who's primary business is the sale of alcohol, state buildings.

As to the sign, I have not personally researched it, but I have a friend who worked in full time armed security and had done quite a bit of research. He's the one who told me that that was the law. He had an issue with someone telling him he wasn't allowed to carry, and that it was posted. But it was a line of text halfway down a 2' x 2.5' sign. Not at all conspicuous or noticeable. If its not correct, I'm more the willing to recent. :)::draw:

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    The question of bars falls under the universaly prohibited carry locations: post offices, law enforcement offices, schools, day cares, retail locations who's primary business is the sale of alcohol, state buildings.

As to the sign, I have not personally researched it, but I have a friend who worked in full time armed security and had done quite a bit of research. He's the one who told me that that was the law. He had an issue with someone telling him he wasn't allowed to carry, and that it was posted. But it was a line of text halfway down a 2' x 2.5' sign. Not at all conspicuous or noticeable. If its not correct, I'm more the willing to recent. :)::draw:
    I cannot vouch for the sign but you are incorrect about not being allowed to carry in establishments that sell alcohol. perfectly legal

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

I carry everywhere. My FRIENDS know I carry a gun. If they have a problem with that, they don't remain my friends for long.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I don't tell them, but most people know. Last time I was at someone's house I didn't know I didn't tell them, I was in uniform with a drop leg holster and my P229... Think I should of told them?

Top Bottom