Does everyone carry with a round chambered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I wonder why he grabbed it by the trigger anyway? Lack of training, and firearms handling?
    I'm assuming that he panic when the gun fell on the floor after the backflip, so when he dove to retrieve it, he grabbed it, trigger and all.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wonder why he grabbed it by the trigger anyway? Lack of training, and firearms handling?

Because he reacted without time for reasoned thought, ie subconsciously. You do a lot of "dumb" things when your forebrain hasn't had time to engage and you're doing a task that is foreign to older/more basic parts of your brain under time pressure induced by social or survival pressure. Social pressure, in this case.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I just had this conversation with a friend last night. He has been carrying for close to two years and took some training before he started carrying (don't know where or with who). I don't recall how we got onto this subject, but my friend stated that he doesn't carry with a round in the chamber. Of course I asked him why not and did he realize those seconds could potentially save his or his families lives. His answer was beyond baffling to me. Seriously he responded with this... If I see a bad situation happening and I think I'm going to need my gun, I can always casually rack the slide by pressing the slide tight to my leg so it isn't so obvious to anyone who might be around (not in quotes because may not be exact words). I just looked at him puzzled and asked if he was F'ing serious and I could tell, yes he was. Then he backed it up with stating that he has a strong magnet mounted on the kick panel on the dash in his truck, so he can use that to rack the slide while seated in his truck if someone "sketchy" is approaching. Again, I know I gave hime a perplexed look and asked why? He was adamant the owners manual said never to carry the gun with a loaded chamber. I told him to look up some videos on the subject and that he really needs to get more real training. I don't think I made a dent as he questioned why with..."when I shoot at targets about 15yds away, I have good groups".
    So to echo so many others, train with a purpose. Train so that muscle memory allows a smooth safe draw without sweeping yourself. Train to clear a malfunction instinctively etc. Go shoot the dang gun and practice with it, then practice as much as you can.
    Proper response. Man that is so cool. I never thought of that. Show me how you do that so I can learn!

Last edited:

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Anybody have actual strike anywhere matches?
    Not sure what matches have to do with one in the chamber, but I keep one of these in every vehicle. And like drawing your gun, it takes a little practice to get good with it.
    1641299266372.jpeg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Because he reacted without time for reasoned thought, ie subconsciously. You do a lot of "dumb" things when your forebrain hasn't had time to engage and you're doing a task that is foreign to older/more basic parts of your brain under time pressure induced by social or survival pressure. Social pressure, in this case.
    I've seen people drop their firearms at ranges and they never picked it up pointing it at others or grabbing the trigger. I know the dance floor is different than the range, but the same principles apply. Maybe he had a little alcohol to help influence his thought process?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've seen people drop their firearms at ranges and they never picked it up pointing it at others or grabbing the trigger. I know the dance floor is different than the range, but the same principles apply. Maybe he had a little alcohol to help influence his thought process?

The same principals apply if your wallet falls out of your pocket as you stand up in your living room vs when you stand up on a crowded subway as well, but I bet you don't have the same physical or mental reaction.

Social pressure is based on context and a range is not a dance floor. Everybody at the range knows you have a gun and you are probably physically spaced or segregated in some fashion. You have no fear that someone else will try to pick up your gun. You have no fear you will create a panic. You may be embarrased, but you have not violated any social norm for the situation you are in.

Your brain and your body have feedback loops. It's why combat breathing calms you down, reducing your heart rate lets your deeper brain know things aren't that bad and it stops pumping you full of fight/flight chemicals. Dancing, loud music, etc. creates measurable physical changes and the resulting mental changes. There's a reason humans use dance clubs as mating opportunity searches, including heightened arousal levels that do things like make you rate someone's attractiveness level higher than you would in a quiet environment. His arousal level was already elevated, which means primed for illogical decision making. IIRC, there was no alcohol involved.

Your forebrain will realize the principals are the same. Monkey brain is concerned with the loss of social standing/judgement of the tribe. Lizard brain is concerned with the loss of a resource to a competitor. Only forebrain knows what a trigger is.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The same principals apply if your wallet falls out of your pocket as you stand up in your living room vs when you stand up on a crowded subway as well, but I bet you don't have the same physical or mental reaction.

Social pressure is based on context and a range is not a dance floor. Everybody at the range knows you have a gun and you are probably physically spaced or segregated in some fashion. You have no fear that someone else will try to pick up your gun. You have no fear you will create a panic. You may be embarrased, but you have not violated any social norm for the situation you are in.

Your brain and your body have feedback loops. It's why combat breathing calms you down, reducing your heart rate lets your deeper brain know things aren't that bad and it stops pumping you full of fight/flight chemicals. Dancing, loud music, etc. creates measurable physical changes and the resulting mental changes. There's a reason humans use dance clubs as mating opportunity searches, including heightened arousal levels that do things like make you rate someone's attractiveness level higher than you would in a quiet environment. His arousal level was already elevated, which means primed for illogical decision making. IIRC, there was no alcohol involved.

Your forebrain will realize the principals are the same. Monkey brain is concerned with the loss of social standing/judgement of the tribe. Lizard brain is concerned with the loss of a resource to a competitor. Only forebrain knows what a trigger is.
    I'll hopefully never find out. I definitely won't be doing back flips that's out of the equation now days.

I wonder how many holsters would retain a firearm that doesn't have a strap to hold it in place when doing back flips?

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I always carry with a round in the chamber. Too many examples of folks not having time to use two hands to jack a round into service. A good quality holster to prevent anything from reaching the trigger and your good to go, with proper training and practice.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'll hopefully never find out. I definitely won't be doing back flips that's out of the equation now days.

I wonder how many holsters would retain a firearm that doesn't have a strap to hold it in place when doing back flips?

Dunno. I would suggest a properly fitted kydex or formed leather specific to the model, and perhaps with a bit of cant so the forces weren't applied directly towards "out" would be the most likely. Any cloth/nylon weave, anything "universal" or "shoe size", probably wouldn't let you hang from the monkey bars, let alone do a backflip.

I can do a backflip. From a high place to a low place. Once.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    But, back to the subject. I used to carry my 1911 with an empty chamber.

It was here on INGO that I learned better.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I carry my Shield, round in chamber, in a DeSantis holster. No issues. I still feel a little uncomfortable carrying a 1911 cocked and locked.

Top Bottom