Does everyone carry with a round chambered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunter12166

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2022
    Muncie
    I carried revolvers for years, always left it on an empty cylinder. Now I’m carrying a shield. I’m gonna assume I’m going to get made fun of here, but I’ve carried without a round chambered. Always kind of hoped/assumed if something was coming I’d see it coming. Then the other day I was working on my daughters car at her apartment complex, and as I’m going to her door this mid sized black dog starts charging. Probly 45-50 lb of mutt. I panic for a minute, saw it was on a lead, ran a few steps, then realized he’d pulled the stake from the ground and was loose. My back hit the wall of the building, it lunges at me, I bashed it in the head with my tool bag, it tries again I hit it twice more and run ten more steps, finally starting to think, realize he thinks he’s just doing his job, but there’s no where else to run and decide if he comes at me again I’m going to shoot it, but there I am, with a pistol that I’d have to jack a round in the chamber while it’s biting me, if it comes to that. Thankfully it backed off, but I’ve been thinking about it ever since.
    Edit.. I carry on my hip in a kydex that covers the bang bang stick. Reading the comments I think it’s just a mental thing I need to get over.
    I always carry one in the chamber but I like a gun that has a back strap safety or a manual safety just makes me fill safer.

desnifter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    USA
    Always one in the chamber and an excellent and secure holster. These mini holsters that only cover the trigger guard make me nervous but some people love them. In the off chance your'e in a situation where you feel pulling your firearm is necessary, the last thing you will want to have to do is make it ready

Treel98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2022
    Griffith IN
    I always have carried with one in the chamber. However I did start carrying in a leather holster at first but I very quickly learned I didn't like that. Once I got a kydex IWB that was the big ticket that made my totally comfortable with one In the chamber.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    One way to allay any fear is to load the chamber and secure the firearm away. Give it 24 hours, check on it to see if it fired itself. Usually they don't. I carry a 1911 all of the time, and have no worries. One only need to get used to it.
    I believe your times are off? Last time I checked you were supposed to leave it loaded in a secure location for 36 hours to determine if it would fire all on its own. Additionally the procedure recommends having a ***** in close proximity as well for a control group. After 36 hours if neither have discharged you are good to go.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Of course we should all carry with a round in the chamber, ready to go. My approach to this is to prefer SA/DA handguns with a decocker. No safety to manipulate, first shot you gotta squeeze the trigger like you mean it. Not sure I could bring myself to carry something with a trigger like a Glock IWB, especially AIWB. I know that’s just a personal hangup of mine, though.

Eric94

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2022
    Georgetown
    I have always carried with a cartridge in the chamber.
    I've never seen the point in making it harder on yourself in a stressful situation.
    The chances of messing up a slide rack in a high stress situation is probably pretty high.
    If you are injured, racking the slide just got more difficult.
    There is a possibility that you could forget to rack the slide.
    And finally you are down 1 round if you carry with an empty chamber.
    The pro's of carrying with one in the chamber outweigh the cons for me.
    The only con of carrying with one in the chamber is an increased risk of a negligent discharge.
    At the end of the day, do whatever you are comfortable with.

SpinDrift762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2022
    Brownsburg
    Of course we should all carry with a round in the chamber, ready to go. My approach to this is to prefer SA/DA handguns with a decocker. No safety to manipulate, first shot you gotta squeeze the trigger like you mean it. Not sure I could bring myself to carry something with a trigger like a Glock IWB, especially AIWB. I know that’s just a personal hangup of mine, though.
    I tried a Sig 226 and a 220 trying to learn the DA/SA. I’ve shot 1911s and Glocks, and under stress the first DA trigger pull was always way off. I also suck at shooting handguns, but it’s a tough skill to learn to sink that first heavy pull into the target. Kudos to you for doing it!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I tried a Sig 226 and a 220 trying to learn the DA/SA. I’ve shot 1911s and Glocks, and under stress the first DA trigger pull was always way off. I also suck at shooting handguns, but it’s a tough skill to learn to sink that first heavy pull into the target. Kudos to you for doing it!

I recommend trying an H&K USP sometime.

I have a jericho, P226, 92FS, and the USP for DA/SA guns and the USP is the only one I feel that the first DA pull is easy to land every time without much effort or thought.

Dry firing, it feels like a very meh trigger, but when actually shooting on the range, something about the timing of it and the grip angle just makes it work.

SpinDrift762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2022
    Brownsburg
    I recommend trying an H&K USP sometime.
    Really? That’s the last thing I need… I just got the MP5 bug bad, and bought a 45 cal suppressor to make it more fun, and I have a 30 cal can already that would be fun on a G3/91. A USP 45 tactical and the newer HK45 threaded have now entered my thoughts. I need to stay off of this forum!

Johwar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2020
    Elwood
    Carry one in the pipe. No good reason not to.

Its no different than thinking you will probably have time to put on your seatbelt before getting in a crash. No, you wont.

And if you dont feel comfy doing so, seek some training to get comfy. You can get there.
    stop it with the seatbelt ....!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    popcorn.gif

KomradeEli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Castleton (NE Indy)
    I’ve always carried with one in the chamber. I used to be slightly nervous because it has no safety, but I just don’t ever get careless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I always have one in the chamber, except for my Keltec P32. I only carry that when I can't reasonably carry something bigger, and when I do carry it it's appendix, with a clip, trigger fully exposed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana

Watch this video, and notice how fast this happened.
    Now imagine this happening to this guy or you without a round in the chamber.

Wow! It looks as if the bad guys had full intentions to kill the guy behind the desk. It didn't seem like a robbery gone wrong, but more like a person-specific attack. Run in, run towards one target and both perps shot at the same guy. Maybe because he was the one drawing his weapon to fight or maybe because 'he was the one'. Good job by the attacked (would be victim) to return fire and hit the targets. But what in the hell is up with the guy in the red sleeveless shirt?? He just sits there. Maybe he was unarmed, but he didn't even try to gain concealment or cover until the situation was damn near over. It's hard to believe his natural instinct wasn't to duck and cover immediately upon attack. And IF he was armed, well...

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    I carried revolvers for years, always left it on an empty cylinder. Now I’m carrying a shield. I’m gonna assume I’m going to get made fun of here, but I’ve carried without a round chambered. Always kind of hoped/assumed if something was coming I’d see it coming. Then the other day I was working on my daughters car at her apartment complex, and as I’m going to her door this mid sized black dog starts charging. Probly 45-50 lb of mutt. I panic for a minute, saw it was on a lead, ran a few steps, then realized he’d pulled the stake from the ground and was loose. My back hit the wall of the building, it lunges at me, I bashed it in the head with my tool bag, it tries again I hit it twice more and run ten more steps, finally starting to think, realize he thinks he’s just doing his job, but there’s no where else to run and decide if he comes at me again I’m going to shoot it, but there I am, with a pistol that I’d have to jack a round in the chamber while it’s biting me, if it comes to that. Thankfully it backed off, but I’ve been thinking about it ever since.
    Edit.. I carry on my hip in a kydex that covers the bang bang stick. Reading the comments I think it’s just a mental thing I need to get over.

I had more or less the same experience but of a 2 legged variety. I did beat him to the punch and he was staring down the barrel of my Sig before he realized I was very serious about his aggression/assault. You don't realize how quickly a situation can go South until it does. From then on I've always carried with a round chambered.

Top Bottom