• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Yea, those things are great. I've turned away many sales people. It is funny watching them give their pitch to a camera. I also think it has an influence on UPS and Postal workers. I am getting good at installing those. I installed them for my father and my aunt, who are both in their 80's. Both of my daughters have them at their homes, and I am getting ready to install a floodlight/camera to watch my driveway. I can controll them all from my phone. I wonder if they are having any influence on crime.

I've been tempted to get a couple tiny cameras, but not these doorbells. The folks that usually show up at my door are wanting to sell something. Not nearly as annoying as the robocalls, but almost.

I wish I could get one of these . . .

6kH3kTL.gif

John

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Doesn't look that suspicious . . . but two things bothered me:

1. Using knuckle to ring doorbell.
    2. Leaving after only a few seconds and not ringing it a second time after about ten or fifteen seconds. Wasn't long enough for someone to answer the door if they were home and wanted to. I always ring a second time after about ten seconds and wait another ten or fifteen seconds.
    There's a knife in his pocket on a clip, but there's nothing illegal about it and it's a common sight. Be observant and you'll see them everywhere. The pocket clips are very popular now for spring assisted one-hand knives with locking blades. I carry a knife in a case on my belt as it's too large to fit into my pocket. It goes everywhere with me . . . except into those venues where it's prohibited by law (i.e. a courthouse). For all those who want constitutional carry (raise your hands, please; as I thought, more hands than people present), if he had shown a pattern of what appeared to be a concealed handgun, would that be suspicious? A significant missing piece here is how he arrived there. Was it on foot . . . on bicycle . . . in a vehicle? Did he wander around the property before approaching the door?
    He looks just like a normal person who would be out working on many jobs around town. If you saw him with a hardhat on and carrying some boards then you wouldn't have a second thought (at least I wouldn't), or if you saw him at the fair, yep just another guy.
    Now when I ring a doorbell I use my finger, but in an elevator I always use my knuckle and that is for two reasons
    1) I don't know how often the elevator buttons are cleaned and I don't want to carry someone else's germs on me if I can help it.
    2) I don't like the idea of my fingerprint being left on the button if someone ever decided to lift a print and place it at a crime scene (Given this is an extremely long shot, but why not put the chances all the way down to 0 instead of a higher percentage?)
    I ring a doorbell about once every two years and I just don't consider this a problem.
    I agree that it's too bad you can't see how he arrived, this would tell a great deal.
    I disagree with some of you about him not waiting long and that is an indication that he was up to no good. I would think that if he was really up to no good then he would have kept ringing and knocking and really wanting to know if someone was there.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I disagree with some of you about him not waiting long and that is an indication that he was up to no good. I would think that if he was really up to no good then he would have kept ringing and knocking and really wanting to know if someone was there.

He jetted as soon as he realized he was on camera.

yep, it's why god invented suspenders.

Watched a guy on a corner when I was at a stoplight today......
    He was looking at his phone in one hand and had ahold of his belt to keep his pants up with the other hand.
    He probably needs to get a new belt because it was only able to be buckled around his mid thigh area. Poor guy.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    He jetted as soon as he realized he was on camera.
    Yes, that is a little suspicious.
    I just looked up these doorbell cameras, and it seems like it should have been very obvious to him when he went to ring the bell that there was a camera on it ( at least the ones that I was looking at online).

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    He looks just like a normal person who would be out working on many jobs around town. If you saw him with a hardhat on and carrying some boards then you wouldn't have a second thought (at least I wouldn't), or if you saw him at the fair, yep just another guy.
    Now when I ring a doorbell I use my finger, but in an elevator I always use my knuckle and that is for two reasons
    1) I don't know how often the elevator buttons are cleaned and I don't want to carry someone else's germs on me if I can help it.
    2) I don't like the idea of my fingerprint being left on the button if someone ever decided to lift a print and place it at a crime scene (Given this is an extremely long shot, but why not put the chances all the way down to 0 instead of a higher percentage?)
    I ring a doorbell about once every two years and I just don't consider this a problem.
    I agree that it's too bad you can't see how he arrived, this would tell a great deal.

So, guys working a construction job...stranger doing his job, no problem. Same guy shows up someplace it's not convenient to get to and immediately leaves when sees it's not a soft target, different thing entirely.

From what you're saying...you would have opened the door. You would not have notified the police or your neighbors. Just some happy go lucky joe out ringing bells and trying to get some exercise.

I believe there's a topic on situational awareness around here somewhere.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, guys working a construction job...stranger doing his job, no problem. Same guy shows up someplace it's not convenient to get to and immediately leaves when sees it's not a soft target, different thing entirely.

From what you're saying...you would have opened the door. You would not have notified the police or your neighbors. Just some happy go lucky joe out ringing bells and trying to get some exercise.

I believe there's a topic on situational awareness around here somewhere.

This leads to a whole new conversation.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

We have no idea how long he would have waited had he not noticed he was on camera. This is very much my wheelhouse. He was up to no good. Perhaps not violent "no good" but some variety of "no good".

OP, have you asked the neighbors if he knocked on their door (if they were home at the right time or have cameras to know)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was watching some random unprofessional looking guy taking pics of the house on my cameras. I talked to him in the driveway and he named the property owner, asking if I was him. I told him I wasn't and asked what he was up to. Said he worked for "the insurance company" as did the blue vest he was wearing.

He told me, "I'm glad you weren't carrying a gun."

:laugh:

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Several years ago my wife's grandmother's house got broken into. The crew that did it would knock on the door and if someone answered they would say they were looking for the Smith's or some other common name and then leave. If nobody answered, brick through a window or kicked in door. All the houses they hit were out in the country.

I'm guessing the guy was looking to do something similar.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was watching some random unprofessional looking guy taking pics of the house on my cameras. I talked to him in the driveway and he named the property owner, asking if I was him. I told him I wasn't and asked what he was up to. Said he worked for "the insurance company" as did the blue vest he was wearing.

That right there's real' funny!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Did you crack a smile? It'd be hard not to.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Obviously a Strip-O-Gram, and his breakaway pants were in the wash, so he went with the quick dropping jeans. You missed out, OP, someone really cares about you.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

I've been told that suckers are born every minute... This guy? Yeah...

Top Bottom