• ...and so much more!
  • Does your carry gun have a light?

• Total voters

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Is there any info out on court outcomes of lighted gun SD shootings?
    How does a light on the gun effect outcome or have bearing on an SD shooting?:dunno:

Another known trainer talking about light on the end of a gun:
    The light at the end of the gun by Massad Ayoob Issue #128

And another since so many on this board hate Ayoob:
    Proper use of weapon-mounted lights

It serves a different job than my handheld light, it's own tool, one I may never need but if it should ever be able to give me an edge, the adjustments made to carry and train with it are minimal, so for under $100 if it has a chance of gaining me an advantage in a fight, I'll take it. And when the handheld light goes down, it's not that hard to pull the light off of the gun (my holsters still work no light attached) and now off gun it's a backup handheld light with just as much power and all the same features, or I can pull the batteries and apply them in the other flashlight if that's the issue.
    Modern flashlights have circuit boards that are created by humans and consist of more parts (thus more to go wrong) than the handgun, I'm more likely to need light than the gun, and I carry a backup gun so should I need it and my primary fails I have it, not having a backup light seems like backward logic in my head.

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Personally, I think all pistols made for defense should include a built-in light (and tritium sights). Lights need to be smaller, because any light is better than no light. Now that we have LED's the light could fit in the tip of the tension bar, like some lasers do already. We don't need 200 lumens, 50 would be better than none. So, asmall light of 50-80 lumens should easily be powered by a single AAA, or watch battery, and it should be so small that holsters don't need to be customized.

I think your on to something here. It makes sense to utilize a component that is already standard on a weapon to add a little light. I also dont understand why companies do not include night sights as a standard site on a defensive handgun

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think your on to something here. It makes sense to utilize a component that is already standard on a weapon to add a little light. I also dont understand why companies do not include night sights as a standard site on a defensive handgun

That one's easy to figure out: $$$$$$

Plus there are myriad choices in night sights these days. They'd never be able to make every one happy. So, by having standard sights on a gun, they can sell it for less money AND the consumer can choose the sight that they want.

-J-

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Plus there are myriad choices in night sights these days.
    i agree completely with this but figured some sort of glowing site wouldnt be too hard to make the new standard. But your completely right that everyone wouldnt be happy with their choice. But the alot of people arent happy now either having to spend more $$$ on different sights.

and as for the light yes i am sure it will cost money but everything costs money and it could be looked at as an option when the firearm is ordered. similar to upgrades on trucks and cars.

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My carry gun doesnt have a light but i carry a surefire pocket flashlight with me everyday. i know it takes longer to deploy if i ever need it with my gun but i am able to use the light without drawing my weapon.

Top Bottom