• Total voters

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Carry a light with you, but not on your gun.:twocents:

More versatility. You can use your light for finding things if you need to and not have to draw your gun to do it :n00b: and/or you can use it as a form of NON-lethal defense. Keeping it on your gun means you would have to draw the gun to use it. Not always the best choice. :twocents:

:n00b: Really? this sounds like a huge "duh" to me. Don't use your gun light as a utility light but don't use that as an excuse not to use a gun light at all...

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Carry a light with you, but not JUST on your gun.:twocents:

More versatility. You can use your light for finding things if you need to and not have to draw your gun to do it :n00b: and/or you can use it as a form of NON-lethal defense. Keeping it on your gun means you would have to draw the gun to use it. Not always the best choice. :twocents:

FIXED!

It's amazing how one little word in the english language can entirely change the intent, purpose, demeanor, and context of the sentence and mislead a conversation.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If I can find a holster, I would but you need to be specific with what type of light. I usually just carry a flashlight with me when it gets dark

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Carry a light with you, but not JUST on your gun.:twocents:

This!
    I think it's one of the best options.

You can also have a much better light that way.Most gun-mounted lights are not the best compared to other hand-held light options you have.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The brighter the light, the better. A buddy of mine just bought an Eagletac and it can go out to 770 lumen. He was on patrol one night and busted it out. His partner was like, what the hell was that?

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    But no my carry weapon does not have a light attached, however, I carry a SureFire with me at all times.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I do not carry a weapon-mounted light.

I carry a Surefire handheld to use in conjuction with, or separate from, my handgun.

I do, however, think that there are some cases where a weapon-mounted light is a great idea-- .452browning's situation comes first to mind. :yesway:

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I do not carry a weapon-mounted light.

I carry a Surefire handheld to use in conjuction with, or separate from, my handgun.

I do, however, think that there are some cases where a weapon-mounted light is a great idea-- .452browning's situation comes first to mind. :yesway:

And honestly if I wasn't in my situation I don't think I would carry a weapon mounted light. My arms have become my legs. So therefore I have to find ways to make each arm be able to do as many things as possible at once. With one arm I am able to keep the gun in the fight as well as see in low light. My other arm/hand is free to move myself and or fight off an attack. I also keep handhelds for self defense as an impact weapon, but mostly I just use them for everyday use in low light.

elliotle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    I keep a nice LED with me all the time. At home, I have a battery powered lantern to throw into the living room that will make a nice silhouette (I live alone). Nothing attached to the guns right now.

Pitchfork

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    South Bend Area
    I don't carry a light on my EDC, but I love me some sausage!

Anyway, I wanted to share a great article I read recently, where Chris Costa talks about how he uses a handgun with light and suppressor for HD instead of a shotgun. As a parent, this is how I want my HD handgun to be outfitted... saving :twocents: for a suppressor now!

Link

For those that are feeling lazy, here's the text with credits to Rem870.com:

Rem870.com: What upgrades would you recommend having on a home defense shotgun?

Chris Costa: Well, here is where it can get a little controversial and complicated.

My home defense gun is a handgun. It’s got an X300 Surefire on it and is equipped with a DG Grip switch, which allows me to light and shoot with one hand. I also run a suppressor on it.

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night and trying to clear your house with an 18” barrel gun – that’s what a shotgun is! You also need to be able to work a light on it while being stealthy and efficient.

If I wake up in the middle of the night, half naked, needing to defend my family and my home, I can shoot and employ my handgun one-handed while I grab my children and maneuver around my house extremely quickly, all the while knowing that I have 17 rounds at my disposal. If you have to grab one of your kids because they’ve popped out in between you and a threat, then you’re stuck trying to fire a 12 gauge one-handed; it can be done (I do it all the time in my demonstrations), but not without a lot of practice, and it’s certainly not ideal.

I also believe that trying to deal with a threat that you can’t see is a much greater concern than one you can see. If there’s an intruder in my house that is visible, then I am actually in the process of solving that particular problem. If there’s someone in my house that I can’t see, that scares me much more. So imagine that you have someone in your house that you can’t see, you don’t have ear protection, and you don’t have a suppressor and are not using a handgun (handguns naturally being quieter than a shotgun) – if you fire that shotgun it’s going to be extremely loud, and you will probably lose your hearing for a few minutes. Those few minutes can be vital, because the intruder now knows where you are and you’re unable to be as alert as you normally would. Having that suppressor addition is very important to me; using a handgun with a suppressor means if it fires a foot and a half from my ears, my hearing is still protected.

So to sum it up, if I clear my house during the night with a handgun, I can shoot suppressed, I can white light, I can work one-handed if I need to grab one of my kids, and if push came to shove I could pistol-punch an intruder with the muzzle of my gun. I can’t do any of that with a shotgun.

When I think of my shotgun as a home defense gun, I imagine that I’m up and alert, waking around the interior of my house or outside the perimeter. I imagine my family is somewhere safe and that I don’t have to worry about shielding them or grabbing them back. When I think of a 12 gauge as a home defense gun, I imagine I’m anticipating an attack and am preparing for whatever chaos may ensue.

Unfortunately, and especially in America, men have a tendency to buy their women 870 shotguns,12 gauge shotguns, or 20 gauge – any shotgun really. And they tell them, “This is for home defense. If you rack it, you’ll scare the intruder away.” But, it just doesn’t work that way. So now you have a woman on the phone with 911, your children behind her, and she needs to pull and manipulate a shotgun while keeping track of her family and talking to the emergency service line. It would be much easier for her to pull out a handgun with a light already integrated onto it, take cover behind the bed to protect herself and the children, and save her family.

And in regards to ‘racking the pump to scare an intruder’ I’m not there to scare the intruder, nor would I want my loved ones to just scare an intruder; I want to shoot the intruder. If someone steps into my home with malicious intent, they get smoked. A pump shouldn’t be used to scare somebody; it should be used to show them that you mean business.

So that’s how I approach the home defense role, and where I see the shotgun and handgun fitting in.

Last edited:

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I voted yes, but it is not attached to my gun. I carry a Fenix LD10 in my front pocket (clipped) everywhere I go. I can draw it more naturally than my gun, but I haven't practiced shooting with it as much as I should.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom