• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am not trying to push anyones buttons. I just disagreed, and that will be my last post in this thread. My thoughts have been released.

Please understand this topic is very emotional for many of our members. These threads get ugly quick sometimes.
    That was not directed at you in any way just a flare to get attention. Your delivery was fine.
    I am just trying to save some grief down the road.

Carry on.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    My family has helped rescue rehabilitate and rehome dozens of dogs. I have seen hundreds of scuffles, been snapped at, gotten teeth many times, yet I have only been actually bitten once. Dogs do not bite down on the body or ever go for the face unless they mean to harm the target. Neck is a kill bite.

I think the owner used the words "snapped at" a child in his post. I would have to find it and re-read it. I am not all that knowledgeable about these things.

Edit: Done also.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I think the owner used the words "snapped at" a child in his post. I would have to find it a re-read it. I am not all that knowledgeable about these things.

Edit: Done also.

P.S. and then done....

When I say snapped at I mean hands, arm, elbow, feet... sometime I felt teeth, sometimes just a snap of the jaw in empty space. Never drew blood or left a mark, even with the bigger dogs. The only one that drew blood was a 10-14 lb Chihuahua that decided he'd just plain had enough of me holding him and chewed my thumb. He was already deemed not adoptable and was just living out his life with us.

OP would have to elaborate... but when an owner who want a dog gone says "snapped at" you have to be very incredulous. No offense OP.

K_W out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Please understand this topic is very emotional for many of our members. These threads get ugly quick sometimes.
    That was not directed at you in any way just a flare to get attention. Your delivery was fine.
    I am just trying to save some grief down the road.

Carry on.

understood and agreed. I do not wish to become emotional on this topic via open forum and id hate to contribute to grief down the road.
    If anyone would like to speak to me about this or anything else my inbox is always open and always civil.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    There has only been one animal my entire life that was really "special" to me. This animal once bit a child when she stepped on his tail. Should it have been euthanized?

Edit: I am not some PETA wingnut and I do hunt but I also have a soft heart for animals.

I'm not inclined to narrow this discussion to the only special animal in your life, so don't take it personally. Children are harmed by pets not infrquently (occasionally killed), and it is nearly always preventable. Even if the dog was provoked to bite, it is unacceptable.
    We have 2 wonderful dogs and a 1-year-old child. The dogs get stepped on by the child frequently. One dog tolerates being stepped on, and the other goes to a different part of the house if that happens. Kids are not always thoughtful of dogs, but biting a child merits no second chances.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I'm not inclined to narrow this discussion to the only special animal in your life, so don't take it personally. Children are harmed by pets not infrquently (occasionally killed), and it is nearly always preventable. Even if the dog was provoked to bite, it is unacceptable.
    We have 2 wonderful dogs and a 1-year-old child. The dogs get stepped on by the child frequently. One dog tolerates being stepped on, and the other goes to a different part of the house if that happens. Kids are not always thoughtful of dogs, but biting a child merits no second chances.

I respect your position. I agree high strung animals should not be around children. When it comes to safety it's children over animals first and always.

Putting an animal down would not be an easy thing to do.

Have a good night sir.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    This dog bit a child. Euthanizing it is appropriate.

I once witnessed a Child grab a dog by the testicles and twist them. The parents were upset that the dog snapped at their snowflake. Was euthenasia appropriate for the dog, or was a spanking MORE APPROPRIATE FOR THE CHILD?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I once witnessed a Child grab a dog by the testicles and twist them. The parents were upset that the dog snapped at their snowflake. Was euthenasia appropriate for the dog, or was a spanking MORE APPROPRIATE FOR THE CHILD?

"Snapped at" is not the same as "snapped at and got" Which was it in your question?

I'd like to leave yet biting dog apologists keep coming.

Bite kid = Long walk through the one way door.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    "Snapped at" is not the same as "snapped at and got" Which was it in your question?

I'd like to leave yet biting dog apologists keep coming.

Bite kid = Long walk through the one way door.

The childs offending hand was in the dogs mouth, and I think she deserved it. Kid abuses animal = punishment to the kid, NOT the animal that defends itself

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Let me clarify my end a bit... When I was a kid we had a Border Collie. She was "my dog", we played together every day since she was a new puppy and she was defensive of me and the house. Once my friends 6 foot 4 dad leaned over the fence while I was with her and she jumped up and grazed his nose with her teeth. We didn't do anything as he admitted he had leaned over the fence. A few months later some family friends came over while she was in the basement with me. The kids were screeching and running as they came in the door and it spooked her and she went into defense mode. She charged up the stairs and snapped at the youngest girl and got her in the side of the stomach. She left two small red lines on her and nothing more, no blood. My parents put her down that week, just after taking the picture below and turning it into a puzzle for my memories. It broke my young heart, but adult me understands.

I don't take this subject lightly.

uL4tvof.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Let me clarify me end a bit... When I was a kid we had a Border Collie. She was "my dog" and we played together every day and she was defensive of me and the house. Once my friends 6 foot 4 dad leaned over the fence while was with her and she jumped up and grazed his nose with her teeth. We didn't do anything as he admitted had leaned over the fence. A few months later some family friends came over while she was in the basement with me. The kids were screeching and running as they came in the door and it spooked her and she went into defense mode. She charged and snapped at the youngest girl and got her in the side of the stomach. She left two small red lines on her and nothing more, no blood. My parents put her down that wee, just after taking the picture below. It broke my young heart, but adult me understands.

I don't take this subject lightly.

uL4tvof.jpg

As I said up-thread.....emotional topic. Sometimes even more so than abortion.
    I had near the same experience as a young boy but my people were farm bred. Totally different mindset.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    As I said up-thread.....emotional topic. Sometimes even more so than abortion.
    I had near the same experience as a young boy but my people were farm bred. Totally different mindset.

Yeah... I'm a stone emotionally... yet I'm having a hard time looking at this photo again even 23 to 25 years later.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When my brother and I were kids, he chased our poodle into the hall where the doors were closed and started hitting it with his cowboy boot. The dog bit him. The dog went to live on a farm somewhere... I thought my brother had it coming.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I have 2 dogs. They have never bitten anyone. We put them on leashes if company arrives. One did however **** on chezs shoe.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Things sure have changed. We had a border collie named "Lucky" (ironically) when I was a kid. It took 2 unprovoked bites to me and one to my uncle before my parents put it down.

Top Bottom