• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Tough topic all the way around. I got my first dog about five years ago, my second a year later - wouldn't recommend life without one at this point.

Having said that, I've had my step-daughter bit in the face by a dog about 7 years ago. She wasn't used to dogs and very curious about them. She kept getting in the dogs face and had been scolded, warned, and fussed at but found a moment when no adults were watching and cornered her and got bit for her trouble. She loves, loves, loves animals but learned a valuable lesson about animal personalities and giving them their space. That sweet old lab had tried numerous times to back away and avoid the child. It was a lesson that I am grateful she learned from a gentle giant and NOT from an aggressive breed. The dog was not put down - the actions did not warrant it. Had there been no cause and no warning it would be a completely different discussion. One of our dogs is a family protector and doesn't care for strangers (CM can attest to his 'less than welcoming' nature). I believe it's our responsibility to keep him out of bad situations where he would think he needs to defend his family, but our kids are older now and all of them know how to manage our dogs.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Tough topic all the way around. I got my first dog about five years ago, my second a year later - wouldn't recommend life without one at this point.

Having said that, I've had my step-daughter bit in the face by a dog about 7 years ago. She wasn't used to dogs and very curious about them. She kept getting in the dogs face and had been scolded, warned, and fussed at but found a moment when no adults were watching and cornered her and got bit for her trouble. She loves, loves, loves animals but learned a valuable lesson about animal personalities and giving them their space. That sweet old lab had tried numerous times to back away and avoid the child. It was a lesson that I am grateful she learned from a gentle giant and NOT from an aggressive breed. The dog was not put down - the actions did not warrant it. Had there been no cause and no warning it would be a completely different discussion. One of our dogs is a family protector and doesn't care for strangers (CM can attest to his 'less than welcoming' nature). I believe it's our responsibility to keep him out of bad situations where he would think he needs to defend his family, but our kids are older now and all of them know how to manage our dogs.

I came into the dogs domain. Respecting that usually works. It is the dogs world and I was merely a visitor that had to pass the security check.....:):

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Regardless of whos kids they are if they are acting out in my house they will be stopped. Ask the terrorists (avatar) what happens when they ignore MoMo and PaPa........Oh yes, we have rules. Probably slightly looser than when they are home but rules all the same. Butts have been warmed up.

LOL, Luckily them girls seemed to mind you guys pretty well.....PaPa don't have to feel bad often. They are some sweet little girls.

I'll be honest.....I can't do it. My little grand daughter can be mean and deserves it but she looks at me with that puffy lip quivering and says "papa, you are my best buddy in the world".......and I melt. Call me a sucker....

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Top Bottom