• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The problem is that people state things as absolutes, when there are always exceptions.

One of our dogs "bit" one of my granddaughters in the face, right on the upper lip. So, if you use your hard and fast rule, he would be dead. When you consider that he was sleeping and she came up and grabbed his face with both hands and put her face in his, the fact that he snapped and got her is not very surprising.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    When my brother and I were kids, he chased our poodle into the hall where the doors were closed and started hitting it with his cowboy boot. The dog bit him. The dog went to live on a farm somewhere... I thought my brother had it coming.

It sounds to me like the dog was in error as it should have bit him two or three times.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...One of our dogs "bit" one of my granddaughters in the face, right on the upper lip. So, if you use your hard and fast rule, he would be dead. When you consider that he was sleeping and she came up and grabbed his face with both hands and put her face in his, the fact that he snapped and got her is not very surprising.

So it's the granddaughter's own fault that she was bit in the face? Justified?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    One did however **** on chezs shoe.

Did you give the good puppy a cheeseburger or ribeye?

Things sure have changed. We had a border collie named "Lucky" (ironically) when I was a kid. It took 2 unprovoked bites to me and one to my uncle before my parents put it down.

Blame the lawyers...

It sounds to me like the dog was in error as it should have bit him two or three times.

Sounds like it. When I was younger a friend's dog bit some kid, the punk was poking a stick at the dog though the fence and got too close. Dog was given a treat.

Sounds like it.l No purple.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    A Black and Tan should have never been subject to living in a house.
    They love the woods and the hunt coonhounds are not pets they are partners.
    This thread and the other has killed me I really just want to go get her I am sure somebody at the coon club would want her.
    BTW who could stand the smell of a hound in the house?

https://www.facebook.com/perrycountycoonclub/

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    In essence, yes.

She had actually been told many times not to do the exact thing she did.

I would never blame a dog for reacting the way he did that day.

If he had had gone on to attack her, it would have been a different ending.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Back in the day, dog's lived outside. They maybe had a name, maybe not. They ate what you'd give them, not $50+ bags of dogfood. Sometimes they'd be there, sometimes they wouldn't.

Today, dogs (and other pets) are treated as members of the family in many households. They have sleeping arrangements better than some kids in third-word countries. They eat the finest foods, are pampered, have a first middle and last name, and have regular doctor appointments. They get groomed, loved, and treated like a human.

So, yes, there's a difference between how things were, and how things are. I think most of us can recognize that.

Some still believe in putting a dog down after one bite. Most people don't follow that line of thought anymore, but that's not to say anything is wrong with it necessarily. I'd much prefer to see non-fatal routes taken before that, though. There's always a way, there are always groups out there willing to take a dog in, even if it has behavioral problems.

Perhaps, back in the day, those groups didn't exist... so those options weren't always on the table.

Today, there's not much of an excuse to ignore those groups.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Flame suit on.

Not one person has discussed the hell he would catch from the wife for keeping said dog? Have none of you met a pissed off woman? Do you enjoy the couch?

I don't have a wife or kids, but if I did, and she said get rid of it for biting our child, I'd personally go shoot the damn thing. No 10 day period, no nothing.

Op, your doing the right thing. Don't let anyone tell you different.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Back in the day, dog's lived outside. They maybe had a name, maybe not. They ate what you'd give them, not $50+ bags of dogfood. Sometimes they'd be there, sometimes they wouldn't.

Today, dogs (and other pets) are treated as members of the family in many households. They have sleeping arrangements better than some kids in third-word countries. They eat the finest foods, are pampered, have a first middle and last name, and have regular doctor appointments. They get groomed, loved, and treated like a human.

So, yes, there's a difference between how things were, and how things are. I think most of us can recognize that.

Some still believe in putting a dog down after one bite. Most people don't follow that line of thought anymore, but that's not to say anything is wrong with it necessarily. I'd much prefer to see non-fatal routes taken before that, though. There's always a way, there are always groups out there willing to take a dog in, even if it has behavioral problems.

Perhaps, back in the day, those groups didn't exist... so those options weren't always on the table.

Today, there's not much of an excuse to ignore those groups.

Well said and for the most part true.

I came from Farm folk. Depression farmers. A dog had to have a use. There were companions but mostly just dogs. It was nothing out of the ordinary to see one put down on the spot if it screwed up. My pet boxer was very protective. It would lite you up in a heart beat if you acted in any way aggressive to me of my family. Not trained that way just who the dog was. He was put down as he did not like other animals in his yard. The idiot neighbor kids would catch cats....mess with the dog to get him on edge and throw the captive feline into the yard for sport. Not good for the cat. Ever.
    He eventually got one of those little POS's by the hand and their mother raised a stink so the Boxer had to go. Dad took him out to the family farm and put him down. Dad thought it important that I watch. I had seen many animals (more than a few dogs) come to the end as it was a farm but not my pet.

Yes, times sure have changed.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We have both kinds. The puppies in my avatar are livestock guardian dogs. They live with our goats and will never see the inside of our house.

Inside we have two older Boston Terriers. This is the vicious one. He was 11 at the time in question.
    apollo.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When my grandma lived up in Lake Village in the late 60's early 70's, she had a couple of german shepherds that loved to bite those traveling salesmen. Everyone thought it was funny back then.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Flame suit on.

Not one person has discussed the hell he would catch from the wife for keeping said dog? Have none of you met a pissed off woman? Do you enjoy the couch?

I don't have a wife or kids, but if I did, and she said get rid of it for biting our child, I'd personally go shoot the damn thing. No 10 day period, no nothing.

No flames here. :yesway:

We adopted a grey cat a few years ago to add to 2 labs and 2 siamese cats. This cat became the boss of the house and it upset the entire 'balance' of dogs getting along with cats. He chased the dogs, would mess with them so much so that the dogs would whine. Upset the 2 older siamese cats that they quit using the their litter boxes. He was a mafia cat. He was not afraid of anything. He had to be relocated to a farm so he could boss everyone around there. Balance restored. Go figure.

:ingo:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The problem is that people state things as absolutes,

A lot of people like to stick to "rules" about this, and "rules" about that. I've had to put a few dogs down for medical reasons, and that can be hard, but I've never had to put down a biter. We did have a dog that snapped at lots of people, kids mostly, over the years, but he never drew (much)blood, only snapped when he was messed with, and he was less than 10 pounds. He lived to a ripe old age and died at home a few years ago, and he has been missed.

I've never had a bigger dog that was a biter, and if I did, I would have to deal with it in a way I thought was best with all circumstances considered. Maybe find another home if possible, maybe put it down if it was necessary.

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Flame suit on.

Key words being "I don't have a wife or kids"................cause if you did, you just may want to get rid of her and the kids and keep the damn dog, lol.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've had one of our dogs "snap" at the grand kids. It upset DoggyMama, (mad at the dog), but the kids were tormenting the dog and had it cornered after repeatedly being told to stop. The dog had no intention of hurting them, and I'm sure if she could talk she would have been saying, "Knock it off!" Unfortunately dogs aren't big on verbal skills so that's the only way she had to communicate her feelings. Normally the dog is very patient and friendly and when she's had enough of the kids, she usually goes and hides out somewhere, but she was cornered and she'd just been pushed too far. No way would I put a dog down in that situation. If they were my kids and not the grand kids, they'd have gotten their rear ends warmed for disobeying repeated warnings.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've had one of our dogs "snap" at the grand kids. It upset DoggyMama, (mad at the dog), but the kids were tormenting the dog and had it cornered after repeatedly being told to stop. The dog had no intention of hurting them, and I'm sure if she could talk she would have been saying, "Knock it off!" Unfortunately dogs aren't big on verbal skills so that's the only way she had to communicate her feelings. Normally the dog is very patient and friendly and when she's had enough of the kids, she usually goes and hides out somewhere, but she was cornered and she'd just been pushed too far. No way would I put a dog down in that situation. If they were my kids and not the grand kids, they'd have gotten their rear ends warmed for disobeying repeated warnings.

Regardless of whos kids they are if they are acting out in my house they will be stopped. Ask the terrorists (avatar) what happens when they ignore MoMo and PaPa........Oh yes, we have rules. Probably slightly looser than when they are home but rules all the same. Butts have been warmed up.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

IMO, yes.

If I’m asleep, and someone roughly my size gets in my face and grabs it, there’s a good chance they’re catching knuckles before I’m even conscious enough to know who they are.

Top Bottom