Dogs coming after you/your dog when walking?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Escalation of force: Yell at dog, act bigger than dog, mace dog, shoot dog. As long as you're on your property owners should have no claim.

dmazzio

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Danville
    Advice from a professional Dog Trainer - If the dogs are coming after you and your pup, pepper spray, no harm done but stops the attack. Second report the incidents to Animal Control in your area and keep reporting until the problem is resolved, tell them you are using pepper spray as a means of defense and that you will only use if the dogs come off their property to attack.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Some pet owners are crazy affectionate about their animals, to the point of valuing them over the lives of other humans. Add to that, this affection often turns into a financial issue now days. It is not uncommon at all to run into folks out and about bragging about the thousands of dollars spent to surgically save a rescue animal's life.

It'd certainly pay to treat bad dog encounters like any other self defense situation. You could be 100% in the right, the other guys a 100% wrong and still emotions turn a dog fight into a human fight. :twocents:

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Some pet owners are crazy affectionate about their animals, to the point of valuing them over the lives of other humans. Add to that, this affection often turns into a financial issue now days. It is not uncommon at all to run into folks out and about bragging about the thousands of dollars spent to surgically save a rescue animal's life.

It'd certainly pay to treat bad dog encounters like any other self defense situation. You could be 100% in the right, the other guys a 100% wrong and still emotions turn a dog fight into a human fight. :twocents:

Yea thats good advice. I've been wondering about this myself. We have a small dog that is 10 months and is peaking out about 11 lbs. We have a Kimber pepper blaster I need to start carrying. But you need some distance between you and the aggressive dog. Maybe a taser of some type. I also thought about a collapsible baton. I live in downtown Noblesville. Pulling a firearm is almost unthinkable and I would try my best to avoid. You have to be a city employee for it to be okay to shoot dogs here.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I carry pepper spray when my daughter and I walk the dog. The spray I have contains a uv identifier so that if needed athoruties can identify the problem animal. My personal protection tools are reserved for life threatining situations.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    OK folks. Lets keep this in a well mannered order. These threads usually go south. This one will not. The OP has a serious question. Lets give serious answers.

I know how I would have dealt with this but it is not civil so in the light of this I will just read.

Thanks,

-CM-

This is obviously a city neighborhood...
    In both instances quoted the 'Owners' were nearby.

The second thing is the invisible/radio fencing.

Since all dogs are 'Off Leash' (Invisible fence is NOT a leash) and there is t a physical barrier (solid fence),
    The obvious solution is to SOCALIZE the dogs.
    Since this would take time for someone to encourage the dogs to play instead of socialize in a pecking order naturally,
    Someone will need to take time to train the dogs out of natural instinct.

The question I have, in a lotted neighborhood, is the owner the problem?
    Nature of dogs ranging & exploring is entirely different than property lines,
    particularly if there aren't trees/bushes where urine scent markings can't be located on YOUR side of shrubs/trees so the dogs understand where the lines are.

Given socialization with other dogs in the neighborhood, the OPs dog has 'Visitors' instead of 'Invaders'.
    Reading doggy interaction is a big deal, since his is the 'New Guy', butt up, front down, front legs out front, this is greeting/play position.
    The established dogs, head up, ears cocked, tail straight up or curled over the back, short wags is the 'Who Are You' challenge.

The dog is smart enough to understand some English, humans need to be smart enough to understand a little 'Dog'.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Just to clarify:
    My pup was on a leash, not growling or barking, he was being a very good boy.

In both instances, other dogs came running, teeth snarling & immediately trying to bite my puppy. First instance, kick to the head made other dog back off, 2nd offense, one dog was going for wife, other for pup. Loud voices & missed kick kept them away.

We do live in a neighborhood in the county, county code:

6.05.040 Prohibited acts.
    (A) No person shall do the following prohibited acts:
    (1) Be a custodian of a prohibited animal as identified in EMC 6.05.050.
    (2) Be a custodian of, or permit, an animal nuisance, except running at large or not under restraint (see subsection (A)(4) of this section).
    (3) Be a custodian of a dangerous animal; however, the exemptions provided under EMC 6.05.030(C) shall also be applicable to this provision.
    (4) Be a custodian of a dog that is running at large or not under restraint.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just to clarify:
    My pup was on a leash, not growling or barking, he was being a very good boy.

In both instances, other dogs came running, teeth snarling & immediately trying to bite my puppy. First instance, kick to the head made other dog back off, 2nd offense, one dog was going for wife, other for pup. Loud voices & missed kick kept them away.

We do live in a neighborhood in the county, county code:

6.05.040 Prohibited acts.
    (A) No person shall do the following prohibited acts:
    (1) Be a custodian of a prohibited animal as identified in EMC 6.05.050.
    (2) Be a custodian of, or permit, an animal nuisance, except running at large or not under restraint (see subsection (A)(4) of this section).
    (3) Be a custodian of a dangerous animal; however, the exemptions provided under EMC 6.05.030(C) shall also be applicable to this provision.
    (4) Be a custodian of a dog that is running at large or not under restraint.

Looks like LEO would be in your corner on this one. I realize causing legal issues is not something we desire but unless you can get the owners in check the animals will continue to be..............."Animals"

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I would still go with a pepper spray or fog. I'd stay away from spray bottles loaded with other stuff. No reason to blind the dog or do permanent damage. Don't open yourself up to a law suit for bleaching someones dog in the face. You blind someones pet you may find yours with a belly full of poisoned meat in retaliation.

Talk to the neighbors and see if anything can be worked out. See if they are reasonable or if they're going to be a nightmare to deal with.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I read NO posts other than the OP. (full disclosure) Is there a leash law is Q #1, if so report it. I hate to be that guy, but control your dogs. I've been in my hood for over 20 years, seen lots of dogs come and go. Mine and others. some owners are just stupid. my dog would never.... blah.. sorry. can't trust that. I will turn around rather than risk a dog fight for the safety of my dogs. I know where the other hood dogs generally are. Not worth the aggravation. If it is that bad - call it in. It would be incredibly extreme to have to kill a loose dog while walking mine in my own hood, as in caught off guard or completely random stray.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    00404_gGTedbK7wOJ_1200x900.jpg

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Do not stop. Give a snap on the leash and say 'Leave it.' and keep walking. May have to do it a couple times.
    Sometimes the loose dog will follow for a little bit but go home when it's ignored. I've never had one attack, but, my dog would defend me fiercely. You could imagine the outcome.
    Also as mentioned, making yourself look bigger could scare the dog away.

Top Bottom