• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I hear about this Dollar Shave club,all the time while listening to Hannity on the way home from work. Ive always dismissed it. After leaving CVS today with sticker shock, Im going to log on and sign up.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dovo when I have time to enjoy it, Merkur when I don't.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh crap. Just did :(

I'm not going to go back and read the thread again, but I'm still happy with Dollar Shave Club. I changed mine so that I only get blades every other month, and I've still got a surplus of blades (two packages I haven't even opened yet). Then again I typically get at least 2 or 3 weeks out of each blade.

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    (Referral links to Amazon below fyi)

Bigtanker, go get a nice Double Edge handle like this here:

Amazon.com: Merkur Classic Safety Razor, Straight: Health & Personal Care

and pick up these blades:

Amazon.com: Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades, 100 Count: Beauty

Now, if you want a great shaving cream I like the Taylor of old Bond Street stuff here:

Amazon.com: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl, 5.3-Ounce: Beauty

Now get yourself a nice badger brush:

Amazon.com: Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush: Health & Personal Care

And you are all set for life (except for maybe $10 every 4-5 years for blades.

My dad learned to shave with a DE blade, and I've used one for over a decade. $30 bought me roughly 15 years worth of blades.

I too read the whole thread and went this route. If I don't end up liking it, well, I sure have spent 60 bucks on a lost worse causes.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    DE razor still working great for me. FYI: pol silver super iridium is the best blade I've ever used. Almost sharp as Feather, lasts more than five shaves, so smooth.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    (Referral links to Amazon below fyi)

Bigtanker, go get a nice Double Edge handle like this here:

Amazon.com: Merkur Classic Safety Razor, Straight: Health & Personal Care

and pick up these blades:

Amazon.com: Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades, 100 Count: Beauty

Now, if you want a great shaving cream I like the Taylor of old Bond Street stuff here:

Amazon.com: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl, 5.3-Ounce: Beauty

Now get yourself a nice badger brush:

Amazon.com: Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush: Health & Personal Care

And you are all set for life (except for maybe $10 every 4-5 years for blades.

My dad learned to shave with a DE blade, and I've used one for over a decade. $30 bought me roughly 15 years worth of blades.

I too read the whole thread and went this route. If I don't end up liking it, well, I sure have spent 60 bucks on a lost worse causes.

Yep 3 shaves in, I've just been converted... Never going back to cartridges...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Eh, I have never seen an electric shaver that doesn't leave me feeling like I've got half a day's growth left on my face.

Oh man, have electric shavers changed in the last several years. The Panasonic engineers just get it. This thing works pretty well dry, but damn, a wet shave and it's like zero stubble. Takes just a few minutes, done. Smoove.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh man, have electric shavers changed in the last several years. The Panasonic engineers just get it. This thing works pretty well dry, but damn, a wet shave and it's like zero stubble. Takes just a few minutes, done. Smoove.

I don't doubt that technology has improved since I last tried one. Are they as fast as a blade? With the older ones, even just to get down to stubble, I had to go over and over the same area, as opposed to one or two strokes with a blade.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't doubt that technology has improved since I last tried one. Are they as fast as a blade? With the older ones, even just to get down to stubble, I had to go over and over the same area, as opposed to one or two strokes with a blade.

Never really timed it. I'd guess it's comparable with a blade. With a normal shave I don't have to go over an area any more than I would with a blade. But I will say that even as good as they've gotten they still don't do real well if you've let your beard grow out and need to mow the hedge, so to speak. If it's been several days since I've shaved I use a trimmer first. But even so, at least for me, I really like the shave I get with it. As I said, a dry shave isn't bad, but you get a little razor burn afterwards. But with a good gel shaving cream it's the most comfortable, closest shave I've ever gotten. YMMV.

Top Bottom