• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    the problem I have with the electric is changing blade packs every few months for the cost of 3 packs of regular disposable razors.

Oh, my. You're supposed to change those? I had a Panasonic I bought in 2005 that I just retired a few weeks ago for the new panasonic. It was a pretty good shaver. Never changed the blades. Foil, once or twice. Blades, no.

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    PENNY SHAVE CLUB

Double Edge Razors are the way to go! :yesway:

==========================================================================================

(Referral links to Amazon below fyi)

Bigtanker, go get a nice Double Edge handle like this here:

Amazon.com: Merkur Classic Safety Razor, Straight: Health & Personal Care

and pick up these blades:

Amazon.com: Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades, 100 Count: Beauty

Now, if you want a great shaving cream I like the Taylor of old Bond Street stuff here:

Amazon.com: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl, 5.3-Ounce: Beauty

Now get yourself a nice badger brush:

Amazon.com: Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush: Health & Personal Care

And you are all set for life (except for maybe $10 every 4-5 years for blades.

My dad learned to shave with a DE blade, and I've used one for over a decade. $30 bought me roughly 15 years worth of blades.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Though I'm currently bearded, these were a great score... $1.25 each!!

Slim adjustable, red tip SS, SS, and '40s SS.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Okay. I finally got around to ordering, and using my razor that I bought because of this thread.
    Succeeded in NOT getting cut.

Just wanted to ask, why the special shaving cream?
    I'm still using my store bought shaving cream in a can.
    Any advantages to switching?

Also, thanks to everyone for their advice.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just like Proraso. I buy two tubs at once, green and white. Split the cakes in half and swap back into the tubs. Great combination for my face. Nice eucalyptus thick cream brushed up in a hot mug with the hottest water from the tap.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Okay. I finally got around to ordering, and using my razor that I bought because of this thread.
    Succeeded in NOT getting cut.

Just wanted to ask, why the special shaving cream?
    I'm still using my store bought shaving cream in a can.
    Any advantages to switching?

Also, thanks to everyone for their advice.

You don't have to use special cream. You can use the stuff in a can with any razor-- DE, SE, Straight, or overpriced-gilette-stuff.

For me, the advantage is better for my skin. The petroleum derivatives in most canned stuff can dry skin. That said, I've used basic Barbasol or Foamy with success.

I also use Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF), a hard soap. Proraso is good, both soap and cream.

Do yourself a favor and get a shaving brush, that's the main thing. A good Badger or Boar brush will change the shave for the better even if you use a can.

I like the Semogue brushes, good value for $$. There are nicer, but MUCH more expensive.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Exact same razors, less money: Razors / Men

Not anymore. Assuming I'm comparing apples to apples, ordering from Dorco for the 4-blade version is slightly more expensive now. Plus, even though the site says they have free shipping this month, this implies they charge for shipping at other times. It appears things have changed in the last year and a half.

I'm going to give DSC a try, I think.

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    My question about the blades is do they clean out easily? Every blade besides the Gillette Mach/Fusion clogs with whiskers way to easy.it can be almost impossible to get the other blades clean enough so they work. That is the only reason I still use them. I shave my head about 4 times a week and my face 5-6 times.
    I really like the Dollar Club. The 4 bladed razors clean easily. The 5 blades do not: they get clogged very easy and don't shave as well for me as the 4 blade razor.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You gents ever try this?

61abUQnU1lL._SL1010_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bronners-...80086484&sprefix=dr+bonners+sh,aps,479&sr=8-2

I've been studying up on the Dr Bonner's Peppermint soap as a camping/survival/BOB solution. It led me to this... :dunno:

Top Bottom