• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Side note, I did pick up a '30s "New Style" open comb from the bay. Just waiting on arrival.

Congrats on another purchase for your collection. I believe that I'm going to venture into the real of single edge razors next. I never really liked an open comb razor. I guess it would have been more useful had I longer facial hair, but I shave often. I'd imagine that a Tech would shave about the same if you had short hair. :twocents:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Congrats on another purchase for your collection. I believe that I'm going to venture into the real of single edge razors next. I never really liked an open comb razor. I guess it would have been more useful had I longer facial hair, but I shave often. I'd imagine that a Tech would shave about the same if you had short hair. :twocents:

My tech is the mildest razor I own. I rarely use it. The "new style" open combs are supposedly the most aggressive of the vintage Gillettes. We'll see I guess. I'm half watching for a good deal on a slim just for the hell of it. Also picking up a shavette razor that uses half a DE blade to see if I want to get in to straight razors.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    My tech is the mildest razor I own. I rarely use it. The "new style" open combs are supposedly the most aggressive of the vintage Gillettes. We'll see I guess. I'm half watching for a good deal on a slim just for the hell of it. Also picking up a shavette razor that uses half a DE blade to see if I want to get in to straight razors.

I love my slim. I use it on a "9" setting every day now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My wife loves Clubman aftershave. She says it's classic and manly. Likes the Bayrum from Sally Beauty supply too.

I LOVE Clubman. It reminds me of haircuts as a kid with dad at Mizells barber shop in Brownsburg. I have the talc, and now that I know they have an after shave, its time to venture off to Sally. Just ran out of one of my after shaves and was looking for something new. Maybe I need to stick to something old?

I also still have an old school ( bottle says copyright 1997) bottle of old spice that I still use from time to time... GET OFF MY LAWN! *ahem* sorry... couldnt help myself. :):

ETA: my stylist just moved away and I'm due for a haircut, so I think its time to visit Mizells again later this week.

Last edited:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I LOVE Clubman. It reminds me of haircuts as a kid with dad at Mizells barber shop in Brownsburg. I have the talc, and now that I know they have an after shave, its time to venture off to Sally. Just ran out of one of my after shaves and was looking for something new. Maybe I need to stick to something old?

I also still have an old school ( bottle says copyright 1997) bottle of old spice that I still use from time to time... GET OFF MY LAWN! *ahem* sorry... couldnt help myself. :):

ETA: my stylist just moved away and I'm due for a haircut, so I think its time to visit Mizells again later this week.
    Fine Accoutrements American Blend aftershave is very classic barbershop. I really like the scent and reminds me much of my grandfather, he was a barber for years and cut all our hair at his house until he was in his late 70's. Unfortunately I was traveling when the soap was released and it sold out too quickly at both Fine and Italian Barber

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Picked up one of these guys at Sally's today:

philsrazor.jpg

It takes a DE blade snapped in half. First shave I used a Feather blade and got super smooth in one pass with minimal bloodshed. Not likely to replace my DE razor for daily use, but I may be in the market for a vintage straight razor for weekend use.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    My great grandfather, was a barber, and somewhere there are about 6 straight razors, I've seen them once. I'd love to have one or more of them. One was really nice with an ivory handle.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Picked up one of these guys at Sally's today:

philsrazor.jpg

It takes a DE blade snapped in half. First shave I used a Feather blade and got super smooth in one pass with minimal bloodshed. Not likely to replace my DE razor for daily use, but I may be in the market for a vintage straight razor for weekend use.

I learned the hard way that sometimes vintage isn't the way to go on straight razors. Unless they've been "restored", a lot the old razors are pretty rough. I managed to find one old WWI era German razor that was nice though.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I learned the hard way that sometimes vintage isn't the way to go on straight razors. Unless they've been "restored", a lot the old razors are pretty rough. I managed to find one old WWI era German razor that was nice though.

I agree-- I'd buy new.

There's a guy who has a good selection of new stock that I'd point you to: https://www.thesuperiorshave.com/straight_razors.html

He no longer has Thiers-Issard, just the Bokers and Dovos-- no slouches are they.

I'd like to get back into Straight razor shaving, but the upkeep led me away from it. I enjoyed shaving with it, just not the stropping and honing and the huge headache if that delicate edge somehow got nicked.

I like being able to throw away DEs.

I'd have to throw away a 12 cent Personna Lab over 10,000 times to pay for a $120 razor.

I'll stick with DE for now.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I agree-- I'd buy new.

There's a guy who has a good selection of new stock that I'd point you to: https://www.thesuperiorshave.com/straight_razors.html

He no longer has Thiers-Issard, just the Bokers and Dovos-- no slouches are they.

I'd like to get back into Straight razor shaving, but the upkeep led me away from it. I enjoyed shaving with it, just not the stropping and honing and the huge headache if that delicate edge somehow got nicked.

I like being able to throw away DEs.

I'd have to throw away a 12 cent Personna Lab over 10,000 times to pay for a $120 razor.

I'll stick with DE for now.

I'm actually loving the shavette. Straight razor-close with DE convenience and less cost than DE. Just bought a stainless Parker ($22) to replace my el-cheapo one from Sally's.

Shave+and+scooter+blogs+112.JPG

I'm eye-balling a new Dovo for the cool-factor, but I just can't justify the expense at this time.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Best recent shaving tip: I picked this up off of Badger and Blade... Dollar Tree sells salsa bowls, 2 for $1... they make a perfect bowl for working a lather with your shave brush. The bowl has a little texture inside to help create a lather, the legs on the bottom of the bowl help you hold it in your hand. The price is right and you have one bowl for home and one for your travel kit.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Best recent shaving tip: I picked this up off of Badger and Blade... Dollar Tree sells salsa bowls, 2 for $1... they make a perfect bowl for working a lather with your shave brush. The bowl has a little texture inside to help create a lather, the legs on the bottom of the bowl help you hold it in your hand. The price is right and you have one bowl for home and one for your travel kit.

Thanks. I'll look into that when I'm near a Dollar Tree this weekend. I'll also be posing some pictures of a brand new early 1960's Gillette that I got. It is an entire kit that was unused.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Had a brand new Feather blade yesterday with a blemish on one edge. I should have caught it ahead of time bit didn't. Got a few strokes in with the good side and flipped it... OUCH!!

Top Bottom