• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccrise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    Well I have listened to all the talk about Dons gun shop and think to myself how lucky I am to live in the South Bend area. It seems like Midwest Guns is the largest shop around. I know they have a huge selection and lots of workers (Well workers might not be the right name). I have been in there several times and bought my first gun (H&K P30 from a gentleman named Cameron. I was very pleased with the service, price, and product. That’s where it ends. I have been there several times since for ammo, cleaning supplies, and just odds and ends. I have been lied to on numerous occasions and been treated like I am nobody. Now I don’t expect them to roll out the red carpet for me but a friendly smile or small talk would be nice. It appears that if you aren’t buying a firearm that cost $1000+ they don’t want to mess with you.

Tonight was my last visit. I stopped in to get some ammo, a knife, and a cleaning kit. Not tons of money but a easy sale never the less. Anyway after waiting for about 20 mins a “Worker” asked if I needed help. I told him I was looking for several things. The first 2 items were in their sales flyer. They were out of both items and when I asked if I could get a rain check I was told they don’t do that and when the product is gone they won’t get anymore. Next I moved on to the Ammo. It was advertised in the weekly email. I didn’t have it with me so I ask for him to check on it for me. He said yes it was in there but I would have to show him my copy in order to get that price. Well I left with nothing and told myself I will shop elsewhere even if it cost more. I hear stories about Don’s high prices but wonder if he has the product or friendly face? I can remember when “Customer Satisfaction” Meant something. I guess I need to search for another shop. If anyone knows of one close please let me know. As for Don’s vs Midwest? I say it’s a TIE.
    Wish me luck

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I went to Midwest one time while passing through. I was less than impressed with their customer service. To me that means something. Which is why I shop Beech Grove Firearms. (Probably a bit out of your way though....)

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Never been to midwest but I am intimidated in Dons because their DD214 (military record of personal accomplishment) is so extensive. Last time I was there, Mr. I carry dual 1911's on my hips told me that they had to black out most of his DD214 because of the black ops that he did. I said "wouldnt it be easier to just not put it on there instead of putting it on there and then blacking it out?" He told me "its federal law that they have to put it on there, but the COL in charge of it personally blacked his out."

Im not worthy.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I have had similar experiences with Midwest after spending thousands of
    dollars in both the Mishawaka and Elkhart stores. I don't need the red
    carpet either, but if I had a customer walk in who I know is a gun nut I
    would make sure I made him feel welcome and appreciated.

After buying two pistols, tons of ammo, accessories, and tons of other
    stuff for a BOB, I went in to purchase a shotgun and got ignored for 30
    minutes. When I got home empty-handed, I sent an e-mail about my
    experience and basically got the "Oh well our guys get busy and blah blah
    blah."

Well, I get my ammo online now, and I got my shotgun from a member
    here on INGO. I will be in the market for a 9mm soon and they won't be
    getting a sale that day either.

I guess they are like any other store, you make your statement with your wallet.
    Either way, I doubt they really care :cool:

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    OH Don... how can we start... well lets see you want to buy a hi point? i have one for $300. you want to buy a phoenix .22? i have one for $250... how much is it to rent a gun and rent a lane, Don? gun rental is $100 a half hr. and range is $40 a half hour, but you have to buy our ammo. how much is the cheapest box of 9mm? $25+ tax thats the cheapest we have. who are they made by? Blazer. sorry about that just some really bad experience with Don. the only reason i go in there anymore is to look at the crazy "crack smoking" high prices they have in there and laugh and wonder how they stay open. they have nice guns, but you can buy two of the same gun somewhere else.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Never been to midwest but I am intimidated in Dons because their DD214 (military record of personal accomplishment) is so extensive. Last time I was there, Mr. I carry dual 1911's on my hips told me that they had to black out most of his DD214 because of the black ops that he did. I said "wouldnt it be easier to just not put it on there instead of putting it on there and then blacking it out?" He told me "its federal law that they have to put it on there, but the COL in charge of it personally blacked his out."

Im not worthy.

LOL that's awesome. I love those kind of guys. I've met a few guys who were actually in special forces and they won't even talk about it most of the time, let alone brag about it openly to strangers. In fact, only one of them actually told me he was in special forces, the others I found out from other sources. None of them wore dual 1911s though, so he must be a higher tier operator than those guys. :laugh:

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    Though I am in Indy, Granger Guns and ZX are on my list if I go North. If you find yourself here, go see Bob at Plainfield Shooting Supply. Bring money; it is entirely too easy to spend it and you can't get ignored if you wanted to.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    Is Midwest Guns full name Midwest Gun Exchange or are these 2 different places?

There is Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka
    and Midwest Gun and Range in Elkhart.
    Owned by the same people.

Service is typically much better and friendlier in Elkhart.

Top Bottom