• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    Never been to midwest but I am intimidated in Dons because their DD214 (military record of personal accomplishment) is so extensive. Last time I was there, Mr. I carry dual 1911's on my hips told me that they had to black out most of his DD214 because of the black ops that he did. I said "wouldnt it be easier to just not put it on there instead of putting it on there and then blacking it out?" He told me "its federal law that they have to put it on there, but the COL in charge of it personally blacked his out."

Im not worthy.

Did you bow down to the almighty before you left ?

That reminds me of the guy I worked with, right after the first gulf war , he claimed to be a sniper and said during a night jump , they encountered a fierce fire fight , and he watched all his buddies get killed that night , but when I asked him about the rifle he said he wasn't authorized to release info on his weapon , even though he said he knew I was a gulf war vet and said he saw me on the base in Kuwait.
    Worst part is I was never in Kuwait or Iraq

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Did you bow down to the almighty before you left ?

That reminds me of the guy I worked with, right after the first gulf war , he claimed to be a sniper and said during a night jump , they encountered a fierce fire fight , and he watched all his buddies get killed that night , but when I asked him about the rifle he said he wasn't authorized to release info on his weapon , even though he said he knew I was a gulf war vet and said he saw me on the base in Kuwait.
    Worst part is I was never in Kuwait or Iraq

Sure you weren't, sure you weren't ;)

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I like Granger Guns a lot. Always a good time. I really can't say I have had a bad experience at Midwest though. Always seemed to treat me well.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have only visited the Elkhart store, I have to work that area every 2-3 weeks and visit their range. The people at this store have always treated me well.

ccrise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    Ok so it looks like I need to get to Granger Guns first thing Saturday morning. Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know how that works out.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I have NEVER had a bad experience at Midwest. They have always been courteous and professional. It is a busy store, especially on Saturday so you may have to speak up if you want to see something. A lot of people just browse and don't want to be bothered. If you want help, all you have to do is ask. If you feel like you are being ignored open you mouth and say something about it. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    There have been many threads started about unhappy midwest customers. At least one was deleted. Some end up with a midwest employee posting.

I was very vocal about my issues with them. The funny thing is now a sales flyer comes to my house in my wifes name and my ex-wifes name, but not mine.

I feel the problems all stem from the owners attitude.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I have never been to the store because it's far away but I make a habit to check them out at the 1500. They have always been great to deal with there and their prices are good.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I won't go into my Midwest rant, but I will say everytime I have been in Granger Guns they have treated me very well.

He always seems kind of rude to me. The prices arent bad, but he is very short. No BS, but also no small talk.

The Midwest in Elkhart has always been good to me. They will chat a bit, the prices are the same as Mishawaka, and they typically have it in stock. If they dont, they will gladly call Mishawaka and ask them to hold something for you.

Sgt 1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Laporte County
    I have shopped at Granger Guns for years. Always helpful. I buy tens of dollars of merchandise and ask thousands of questions. Always a pleasant experience. I don't really need to shop anywhere else, but I dive in to other shops from time to time. I like Rocket Guns in Goshen. They have a good selection of older antique guns and good conversation.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have shopped at Granger Guns for years. Always helpful. I buy tens of dollars of merchandise and ask thousands of questions. Always a pleasant experience. I don't really need to shop anywhere else, but I dive in to other shops from time to time. I like Rocket Guns in Goshen. They have a good selection of older antique guns and good conversation.

I'll agree with Rocket in Goshen. I went in with some guys from work and we talked to Adam for three hours. :yesway:

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    In the defense of Midwest Gun exchange, I have waited a long time to be helped and most of the time it's because somebody is jerking around with the salesman and has no intention of buying anything. Its like that at the Apple store also.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    If you go to midwest make sure to talk to cameron, he is the only one me or any of my friends deal with. There is another guy who i have talked to who seems pretty cool but im not sure of his name.But anyway make sure to deal with cameron. I have been in there a couple times and he has people waiting to get help from him specifically. Cameron is usually pretty good with working out deals as well. i went in there to help my friend pick out a 91/30 with me. one of the salesman made a smart remark as i was looking them each over ,"something to the tune of this guys gonna find a problem with everyone of these cheap 80 dollar rifles" i told him i wanted to make sure i was getting the best possible. and i left and started walking around until cameron was available. Cameron helped me take every mosin out of the box and inspect them for the best 2! the guy is hands down a great person.

Granger guns is also great. The guy doesnt seem to be very talkative until you start buying stuff however. but he defiantly knows his stuff!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    IMHO, poor customer service is the rule rather than the exception for all gun shops. It seems like the business attracts anti-social types. Gun show table tenders are even worse.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    Buddy keep this place a secret. They do alot of commision sales and you can get a smokin deal there. Only shop where you can throw serious low ball offers on the table and with a phone call to the owner sometimes get it.

Dutchman Hunting Supplies in Shipshewana They you like a king.I got 2 kel-tec from them.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    As far as Midwest goes, they get busy. Just get someones attention and they will help you. You have to keep in mind that is one of the busiest gun stores in this part of the country. With some mind blowing sales.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Well I have listened to all the talk about Dons gun shop and think to myself how lucky I am to live in the South Bend area. It seems like Midwest Guns is the largest shop around. I know they have a huge selection and lots of workers (Well workers might not be the right name). I have been in there several times and bought my first gun (H&K P30 from a gentleman named Cameron. I was very pleased with the service, price, and product. That’s where it ends. I have been there several times since for ammo, cleaning supplies, and just odds and ends. I have been lied to on numerous occasions and been treated like I am nobody. Now I don’t expect them to roll out the red carpet for me but a friendly smile or small talk would be nice. It appears that if you aren’t buying a firearm that cost $1000+ they don’t want to mess with you.

Tonight was my last visit. I stopped in to get some ammo, a knife, and a cleaning kit. Not tons of money but a easy sale never the less. Anyway after waiting for about 20 mins a “Worker” asked if I needed help. I told him I was looking for several things. The first 2 items were in their sales flyer. They were out of both items and when I asked if I could get a rain check I was told they don’t do that and when the product is gone they won’t get anymore. Next I moved on to the Ammo. It was advertised in the weekly email. I didn’t have it with me so I ask for him to check on it for me. He said yes it was in there but I would have to show him my copy in order to get that price. Well I left with nothing and told myself I will shop elsewhere even if it cost more. I hear stories about Don’s high prices but wonder if he has the product or friendly face? I can remember when “Customer Satisfaction” Meant something. I guess I need to search for another shop. If anyone knows of one close please let me know. As for Don’s vs Midwest? I say it’s a TIE.
    Wish me luck

I have been to Midwest a couple of times and have always been treated nicely. They've been SUPER busy both times I was there (on Saturdays) so I didn't get quick service, but that wasn't their fault.

I can't answer to the email flyer. That seems pretty crappy that you have to bring it in if they acknowledge the price WAS in the email. Should've asked for a manager.

To be fair though, the other stuff that was in their sales flyer.... that sale has been going on for almost the whole month of July. It's not like they had a weekend or week-long sale and under-stocked. They had tons of copies of the sales flyer there when I was there in the beginning of the month and large quantities of the stuff that was on sale. It is VERY RARE to find ANY business that hands out rainchecks on their sale items. There may be a VERY FEW but that's few and far between, and I don't think it's fair to condemn their business because they do the same thing almost anyone else does. Again, it was a sale that lasted a month and you went almost at the end. Can't really be surprised that they're out of stock on a sale item.

I'm not a Midwest employee or apologist. I just wanted to point out that you were being somewhat unreasonable in your expectations.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have never had any issues with Midwest, either store. Been there numerous times. Always been courteous and relatively prompt in service. But Elkhart is much smaller and therefore by nature has better coverage of customers imo.

Certainly with some of the prices Midwest has in their sales flyers, you need to go as early in the month as you can. As with any other gun shop who has a run of special priced items just like 21st has done on many occasions. First come first serve, you miss it you miss that price. Not sure why Midwest is any exception.

But ZX guns is very nice, good people, somewhat close to that area. If you are up for a drive, Ranger Supply is good and 21st Century, although a haul is a fantastic shop.

freedomfighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    Years ago, I went to buy a cheapo 1911 from Don's guns. I told them to add me on another magazine. When I looked at the bill before I paid it, they had tried to give me a generic magazine and wrote it on the bill for 89 dollars. I told them that if that was how they did things...they could stuff it and I haven't been back. They are crooks.

Top Bottom