• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    This is why I don't buy nice tools. It never fails if I buy any expensive tool it will get lost stolen whatever within short order. If I buy cheap tools I'll have them till I wear them out......
    Sorry about your tool I know the feeling...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why is everyone so hung up on using a monkey? Monkeys suck. Google "Chimp, chew off, genitals" No thanks. They're monsters that should be exterminated.

What about a kangaroo? Handy pouch to hold your screwdriver in while she climbs back up! Hah, think about it...

Or a trained spider, they're very capable climbers.

Call this guy:

scuba_dog1.jpg

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I was working the pipes to my expansion tank for my well. In the well pit is the old well with a cover. I removed the cover to shine my flashlight down the hole. I forgot to put the cover back on.

Next thing I did was use the screwdriver to inspect and tighten some of the clamps. Something I do each fall. However my tool fell down the old well and I heard a splash after a few seconds.....

It is a $20 screwdriver, should I dig down 230 to 250 feet to rescue it? Anyone have one of those small robots to put down my 6" well casing to get it? I bet the previous owner stored most of his guns at the bottom of the well.

:D

Interesting that the old well isn't plugged (state law) and since it's in a pit and old, I'd say you wouldn't have to dig more than 50', might be surprised to find that the old well is probably less than that, more like 30' or so. Might be well worth your time to try fishing with a magnet.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Weekend update:

Thanks for the ideas. I purchased a new screwdriver and have forgotten about my old one. That was the best option. But for about 2 seconds, I felt bad about leaving it behind.

To rescue the screwdriver it would involve an engineer to design the special shoring for the excavation, rental of special shoring and at least two high capacity diesel pumps to keep the water out. I most likely would need to contract out some explosives work to get through the limestone. I would have to provide my neighbors with a temporary source of water, since the pumps would shut down most of the wells in my area. I never got into the cost of that part.

The other option was to rent a special drilling rig and aim for the base of the well and then send a robot down to get the screw driver. There is some risk the screw driver would be damaged by the drill bit if the calculations were off. Most of those rigs are in Texas or Oklahoma.

The monkey idea is nice, but if he pooped or drowned in the well, I'd be forced to abandon it.

Top Bottom