Dumbest thing you have ever done with a gun and learned a lesson?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Back in my teens, was camping one night with some friends. Took an empty propane canister, set it front of the campfire, walked off about 30 or 40 yards and shot it with a .22 rifle. Found out there is enough residual propane in an "empty" canister to make a pretty impressive fireball. How I survived my teens I still can't explain, 4 decades later.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Had a ND in the house with the wife at home. Round blew through the door jam and exited the house. Weird part is it missed my wife's wedding dress, which was hanging in the next room where the round went through. When I looked through hole in the door jam, all I could see was wedding dress. Can't explain it. If only I would have put a hole in that dress................

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    About 10 years ago, I was shooting some clays with friends using a manual clay launcher, one of the ones you have to reset after every clay. My friend is operating the launcher. He throws one and immediately begins reloading it. Turns out the clay launched at an akward angle and by stepping forward to reload the launcher, my friend stepped in front of the firing line. I'm sure it looked a lot closer than it actually was, but lesson learned. Be very deliberate in establishing the launcher location and the firing line. Also, if operating the launcher, take a couple seconds to ensure it is safe to reset.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Fired off a magazine full of defensive ammo on accident at the range. Went to reload with the defensive ammo when I was finished and could only find a magazine of target ammo. Loaded the spare defensive mag and learned to put the expensive stuff in the range bag rather than on the bench.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    Back in my teens, was camping one night with some friends. Took an empty propane canister, set it front of the campfire, walked off about 30 or 40 yards and shot it with a .22 rifle. Found out there is enough residual propane in an "empty" canister to make a pretty impressive fireball. How I survived my teens I still can't explain, 4 decades later.

Ditto about surviving my teens.

I forgot about this one! I was in the USAF and we had a pilot exchange program. One guy was from England and had never shot a weapon. My buddies and I would take him camping and shooting in the high desert of California. As we were leaving the camp site someone suggested we place a can of COLEMAN fuel over the coals and shoot it.

We were 10 feet or so from the hot coals and ready to shoot. One guy worked in flying safety. He suggests we move back more before we shoot. We move back 30 ft or so and fire away. The English gent shoots and the fireball was HUGE!! If he had shoot at 10 ft, eyebrows and what ever else would have disappeared.

Lesson learned, Never let a guy from England encourage you to make a bad decision.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    2 pumps with a Crossman Powermaster. Stings pretty good. Neighborhood battles. Boys just being boys.

Had similar experience with BB gun wars. I had the one in my forehead dug out a few years after a buddy planted it there with a Crossman 760. The BB that hit me in the earlobe is still in there. I got caught in a crossfire. The rule was no head shots and no more than 3 pumps from the 760's and no C.O. 2's. The rules weren't followed very well.

Treetoppilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2015
    Mccordsville
    The earliest Dumb thing I did with a gun;
    When I was a young kid, maybe 7 or 8, I chose to point and blast a few bangs from the ol' cap gun at the new yet much older neighbor kid (guess I thought my toy was cool and he might want to play cops and robbers). A short while later he fired back a number of pellets barely missing me but hitting our house.

After running into the house for cover (I can't even imagine what I told my Mom), as the kid completed his final shot into the side of our garage, my oldest bother walked over and taught him some firearm responsibility.

:ar15:Not the best way to meet the new neighbors:welcome:

I wonder what ever happened to that cap gun? Must of gotten jacked that day for my actions:dunno:

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Thank you all for sharing your stories. I've been very fortunate, and not had any major incidence... hopefully these stories will help keep it that way.

The worst that has happened to me was simply fingering the trigger while aiming down-range, and discharging unexpectedly (before intended). The feeling of not being in full control, was disturbing.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    In basic training while firing from behind a wooden barricade, my muzzle didn't clear it and I fired about 4 shots before the a drill sergeant grabbed tge front of my helmet and pulled my head back while he cussed my out. Learned about mechanical offset that day.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Thank you all for sharing your stories. I've been very fortunate, and not had any major incidence... hopefully these stories will help keep it that way.

The worst that has happened to me was simply fingering the trigger while aiming down-range, and discharging unexpectedly (before intended). The feeling of not being in full control, was disturbing.

This. It happened to me once a long time ago....... and holding a pistol with full britches in a cold sweat has made me slow down and be more careful.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was out hunting with some of the family back when I was about 12 or 13. We were crossing a fence. I handed my shotgun to my uncle and he noticed my safety was off. The shame of that has stuck with me all my life.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was 17...had my 870 12 gauge in my hand, was wearing gloves, went to stick my finger into the trigger guard, and the gun went off...blowing a hole in the ground right between my feet.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Hate to admit this, but oh well. My very first handgun. Carried in my glove box back in the Disco 70's. My friend and I hit the clubs about every weekend back then. Was at the Disco Club that used to be in the Airport Ramada Inn. Came out of the bathroom and some dude cold cocked me. Didnt even see him hit me. Next thing I remember is sitting in the Hotel lobby with someone giving me a raw steak to put over my eye. My friend was still in the club and didnt know about what had happened. So, I went to my car(and yes I was intoxicated)grabbed my revolver put in my pants. Went back into the club to get my friend and leave. As soon as we came to the exit door the sob that hit me and about 5 of his friends confronted us. I dont remember exactly what he said, but I do remember the threats. So I said, OK lets go outside. As soon as I exited the door I pulled my gun, cocked it, and aimed it right at the guys face. They all immediately backed down, turned around and went back inside. When we got to my car the Club manager came out told me he didnt blame me for what I did. He said this dude was known to do this type of crap. He said just go ahead and leave and nothing else would happen. Like calling the police. I will never forget that night. I am so glad it didnt go further than it did. Or I would probably still be in jail or dead. I must say however. If I hadnt had a weapon who knows what those bastards might of done.

Top Bottom